Ethanol Increases the Paracellular Permeability of Monolayers of CAPAN-1 Pancreatic Duct Cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
When grown on permeable supports, pancreatic duct adenocarcinoma CAPAN-1 cells establish very high values of transepithelial resistance (TER). The addition of ethanol produced a dose-related, reversible drop in the TER of these cells, ranging from 15% (with 1% ethanol) to 65% (with 10% ethanol). The ethanol effect was rapid and reversible. The resistance decrease was associated with an increase in monolayer permeability to mannitol. No significant decrease in cell ATP was detected for ethanol concentrations lower than 7%. Confocal vertical sections of calcein-loaded monolayers of CAPAN-1 cells, grown on plasticware, showed a progressive deflation of domes detectable after 5 min of treatment with 2% ethanol. Incubation in an ethanol-free medium caused a progressive dome restoration. Immunocytochemical analysis of ethanol-treated cells indicated that ZO-1 and occludin exhibited clear cut distribution changes while the perijunctional actin pattern was slightly modified. Electron microscopy showed that a discrete intercellular space was detectable between adjacent ethanol-treated cells but not between control cells. These data indicate that ethanol is a tight junction barrier opener in pancreatic duct cells.
- Bor S, Caymaz-Bor C, Tobey NA, Abdulnour-Nakhoul S, Marten E, Orlando RC (1998) Effect of ethanol on the structure and function of rabbit oesophageal epithelium. Am J Physiol 274: G819–G826.
- Dall'Asta V, Gatti R, Orlandini G, Rossi PA, Rotoli BM, Sala R, Bussolati O, Gazzola GC (1997) Membrane potential changes visualized in complete growth media through confocal laser scanning microscopy of bis-oxonol-loaded cells. Exp Cell Res 231: 260–268.
- Dickman KG, Hempson SJ, Anderson J, Lippe S, Zhao L, Burakoff R, Shaw RD (2000) Rotavirus alters paracellular permeability and energy metabolism in caco-2 cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 279: G757–G766.
- Etemad B, Whitcomb DC (2001) Chronic pancreatitis: Diagnosis, classification, and new genetic developments. Gastroenterology 120: 682–707.
- Fallon MB, Gorelick FS, Anderson JM, Mennone A, Saluja A, Steer ML (1995) Effect of cerulein hyperstimulation on the paracellular barrier of rat exocrine pancreas. Gastroenterology 108: 1863–1872.
- Ferruzza S, Scarino ML, Rotilio G, Ciriolo MR, Santaroni P, Muda AO, Sambuy Y (1999) Copper treatment alters the permeability of tight junctions in cultured human intestinal Caco-2 cells. Am J Physiol 277: G1138–G1148.
- Fögh J, Wright WC, Loveless JD (1977) Absence of HeLa cell contamination in 169 cell lines derived from human tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst 58: 209–214.
- Hecht G, Pestic L, Nikcevic G, Koutsouris A, Tripuraneni J, Lorimer DD, Nowak G, Guerriero V Jr, Elson EL, Lanerolle PD (1996) Expression of the catalytic domain of myosin light chain kinase increases paracellular permeability. Am J Physiol 271: C1678–C1684.
- Hecht G, Pothoulakis C, Lamont JT, Madara JL (1988) Clostridium difficile toxin A perturbs cytoskeletal structure and tight junction permeability of cultured human intestinal epithelial monolayers. J Clin Invest 82: 1516–1524.
- Hollander D (1999) Intestinal permeability, leaky gut, and intestinal disorders. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 1: 410–416.
- Levrat JH, Palevody C, Daumas M, Ratovo G, Hollande E (1988) Differentiation of the human pancreatic adenocarcinoma cell line (Capan-1) in culture and co-culture with fibroblasts dome formation. Int J Cancer 42: 615–621.
- Ma TY, Hoa NT, Tran DD, Bui V, Pedram A, Mills S, Merryfield M (2000) Cytochalasin B modulation of Caco-2 tight junction barrier: Role of myosin light chain kinase. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 279: G875–G885.
- Ma TY, Nguyen D, Bui V, Nguyen H, Hoa N (1999) Ethanol modulation of intestinal epithelial tight junction barrier. Am J Physiol 276: G965–G974.
- Madara JL (1998) Regulation of the movement of solutes across tight junctions. Annu Rev Physiol 60: 143–159.
- McNamara BP, Koutsouris A, O'Connell CB, Nougayrede JP, Donnenberg MS, Hecht G (2001) Translocated EspF protein from enteropathogenic Escherichia colidisrupts host intestinal barrier function. J Clin Invest 107: 621–629.
- Millan MS, Morris GP, Beck IT, Henson JT (1980) Villous damage induced by suction biopsy and by acute ethanol intake in normal human small intestine. Dig Dis Sci 25: 513–525.
- Mitic LL, Van Itallie CM, Anderson JM (2000) Molecular physiology and pathophysiology of tight junctions: I. Tight junction structure and function: lessons from mutant animals and proteins. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 279: G250–G254.
- Monzat V, Fanjul M, Leclerc C, Palevody C, Briand JP, Jarry-Guichard T, Gabrion J, Moreau M, Hollande E (1995) Progressive development of gap junctions during growth of human pancreatic duct cells (Capan-1) in vitroand in vivo. Biol Cell 85: 157–165.
- Nusrat A, Turner JR, Madara JL (2000) Molecular physiology and pathophysiology of tight junctions: IV. Regulation of tight junctions by extracellular stimuli: Nutrients, cytokines, and immune cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 279: G851–G857.
- Orlandini G, Ronda N, Gatti R, Gazzola GC, Borghett A (1999) Ligand binding and internalization. Confocal Microscopy. Meth Enzymol 307: 340–350.
- Rahner C, Mitic LL, Anderson JM (2001) Heterogeneity in expression and subcellular localization of claudins 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the rat liver, pancreas, and gut. Gastroenterology 120: 411–422.
- Rotoli BM, Bussolati O, Dall'Asta V, Orlandini G, Gatti R, Gazzola GC (2000) Secretin increases the paracellular permeability of CAPAN-1 pancreatic duct cells. Cell Physiol Biochem 10: 13–25.
- Rotoli BM, Orlandini G, Gatti R, Dall'Asta V, Gazzola GC, Bussolati O (2002) Employment of confocal microscopy for the dynamic visualization of domes in intact epithelial cell cultures. Cells Tissues Organs 170: 237–245.
- Schmitz H, Barmeyer C, Fromm M, Runkel N, Foss HD, Bentzel CJ, Riecken EO, Schulzke JD (1999) Altered tight junction structure contributes to the impaired epithelial barrier function in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 116: 301–309.
- Steinberg W, Tenner S (1994) Acute pancreatitis. N Engl J Med 330: 1198–1210.
- Ethanol Increases the Paracellular Permeability of Monolayers of CAPAN-1 Pancreatic Duct Cells
Journal of Molecular Histology
Volume 35, Issue 4 , pp 355-362
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. General and Clinical Pathology Unit, Department of Experimental Medicine, Università degli Studi di Parma, 43100 Parma, Italy
- 2. Histology and Embryology Unit, Department of Experimental Medicine, Università degli Studi di Parma, 43100 Parma, Italy