Genetic diversity in Ethiopian hexaploid and tetraploid wheat germplasm assessed by microsatellite markers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The genetic diversity of a subset of the Ethiopian genebank collection maintained at the IPK Gatersleben was investigated applying 22 wheat microsatellites (WMS). The material consisted of 135 accessions belonging to the species T. aestivum L. (69 accessions), T. aethiopicum Jacubz. (54 accessions) and T. durum Desf. (12 accessions), obtained from different collection missions. In total 286 alleles were detected, ranging from 4 to 26 per WMS. For the three species T. aestivum, T. aethiopicum and T. durum on average 9.9, 7.9 and 7.9 alleles per locus, respectively, were observed. The average PIC values per locus were highly comparable for the three species analysed. Considering the genomes it was shown that the largest numbers of alleles per locus occurred in the B genome (18.4 alleles per locus) compared to A (10.1 alleles per locus) and D (8.2 alleles per locus) genomes. Genetic dissimilarity values between accessions were used to produce a dendrogram. All accessions could be distinguished, clustering in two large groups. Whereas T. aestivum formed a separate cluster, no clear discrimination between the two tetraploid species T. durum and T. aethiopicum was observed.
- Anderson, 6J.A., Churchill, G.A., Antrique, J.E., Tanksley, S.D., Sorrels, M.E. (1993) Optimising parental selection for genetic linkage maps. Genome 36: pp. 181-188
- Bechere, E., Belay, G., Mitiku, D., Meker, A. (1996) Phenotypic diversity of tetraploid wheat landraces from northern and north-central regions of Ethiopia. Hereditas 124: pp. 165-172
- Belay, G., Tesemma, T., Becker, H.C., Merker, A. (1993) Variation and interrelationships of agronomic traits in Ethiopian tetraploid wheat landraces. Euphytica 71: pp. 181-188
- Bekele, E. (1984) Analysis of regional pattern of phenotypic diversi-ty in the Ethiopian tetraploid and hexaploid wheats. Hereditas 100: pp. 131-154
- Ben Amer, I.M., Börner, A., Roder, M.S. (2001) Detection of genetic diversity in Libyan wheat genotypes using wheat mi-crosatellite markers. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 48: pp. 579-585
- Börner, A., Chebotar, S., Korzun, V. (2000) Molecular characteri-zation of the genetic integrity of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) germplasm after long-term maintenance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 100: pp. 494-497
- Chebotar, S.V., Sivolap, Y.M. (2001) Differentiation, identification and characterization of Triticum aestivum L. varieties from Ukrainian breeding programs by using STMS analysis (in Rus-sian). Cytology and Genetics 35: pp. 18-27
- Chebotar S., Röder M.S., Korzun V., Saal B., Weber W.E. and Börner A. 2003. Molecular studies on genetic integrity of open pollinating species rye (Secale cereale L.) after long term genebank maintenance. Theor. Appl. Genet. (in press).
- Devos, K.M., Bryan, G.J., Collins, A.J., Stephenson, P., Gale, M.D. (1995) Application of two microsatellite sequences in wheat storage proteins as molecular markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 90: pp. 247-252
- Fahima, T., Röder, M.S., Grama, A., Nevo, E. (1998) Microsatellite DNA polymorphism divergence in Triticum dicoccoides acces-sions highly resistant to yellow rust. Theor. Appl. Genet. 96: pp. 187-195
- The state of the world's plant genetic resources for food and agriculture. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome
- Huang, X.Q., Börner, A., Röder, M.S., Ganal, M.W. (2002) Asses-sing genetic diversity of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) germplasm using microsatellite markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 105: pp. 699-707
- Korzun, V.N., Röder, M.S., Ganal, M.W., Hammer, K., Filatenko, A.A. (1997) Genetic diversity and evolution of the diploid wheat T. urartu, T. boeoticum and T. monococcum revealed by microsatellite markers. Schrift. zu Genet. Ress. 8: pp. 244-247
- Korzun, V., Röder, M.S., Ganal, M.W., Worland, A.J., Law, C.N. (1998) Genetic analysis of the dwarfing gene (Rht 8) in wheat. Part I. Molecular mapping of Rht 8 on the short arm of chromo-some 2D of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 96: pp. 1104-1109
- Pestsova, E., Ganal, M.W., Röder, M.S. (2000) Isolation and mapping of microsatellite markers specific for the D genome of bread wheat. Genome 43: pp. 689-697
- Plaschke, J., Ganal, M.W., Röder, M.S. (1995) Detection of genetic diversity in closely related bread wheat using microsatellite markers. Theor. Appl. Genet 91: pp. 1001-1007
- Proceddu E., Perrino P. and Olita G. 1973. Preliminary information on an Ethiopian wheat germplasm collection mission Proc. Symposium on Genetics and Breeding of Durum Wheat, 14–18 May 1973, Bari, Italy., pp. 181–200.
- Röder, M.S., Plaschke, J., König, S.U., Börner, A., Sorrells, M.E., Tanksley, S.D. (1995) Abundance, variability and chromo-somal location of microsatellites in wheat. Mol. Gen. Genet 246: pp. 327-333
- Röder, M.S., Korzun, V., Wendehake, K., Plaschke, J., Tixier, M.-H., Leroy, P. (1998) A microsatellite map of wheat. Genetics 149: pp. 2007-2023
- Roder M.S., Wendehake K., Korzun V., Bredemeijer G. and Isaac et al. P. 2002. Construction and analysis of a microsatellite-based database for European wheat cultivars. Theor. Appl. Genet. (in press).
- Rohlf, F.J. (1998) NTSYS-pc: Numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system. New York, Applied Biostatistics Inc.
- Tesfaye, T., Getachew, B., Worede, M. (1991) Morphological diversity in tetraploid wheat landrace populations from the central highlands of Ethiopia. Hereditas 114: pp. 171-176
- Vavilov N.I. 1931. The wheats of Abbyssinia. Suppl. 51to the Bull. Appl. Bot. Gen. and Plant Breeding. 236 p. (in Russian).
- Worland, A.J., Korzun, V., Ganal, M.W., Röder, M.S., Law, C.N. (1998) Genetic analysis of the dwarfing gene (Rht 8) in wheat. Part II. The distribution and adaptive significance of allelic variants at the Rht 8 locus of wheat as revealed by microsatellite screening. Theor. Appl. Genet. 96: pp. 1110-1120
- Genetic diversity in Ethiopian hexaploid and tetraploid wheat germplasm assessed by microsatellite markers
Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution
Volume 51, Issue 5 , pp 559-567
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Ethiopian wheat germplasm
- Genetic diversity
- Microsatellite markers
- Triticum aestivum
- Triticum aethiopicum
- Triticum durum
- Industry Sectors