Universal One-Way Light Speed from a Universal Light Speed Over Closed Paths
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper gives two complete and elementary proofs that if the speed of light over closed paths has a universal value c, then it is possible to synchronize clocks in such a way that the one-way speed of light is c. The first proof is an elementary version of a recent proof. The second provides high precision experimental evidence that it is possible to synchronize clocks in such a way that the one-way speed of light has a universal value. We also discuss an old incomplete proof by Weyl which is important from an historical perspective.
- R. Resnik, Introduction to Special Relativity (Wiley, New York, 1968).
- G. F. R. Ellis and R. M. Williams, Flat and Curved Space-Times 2nd edn. (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2000)
- A. P. French, Special Relativity (Chapman & Hall, London, 1968).
- R. W. Brehme, Am. J. Phys. 56, 811(1988).
- A. L. Macdonald, Am. J. Phys. 51, 795(1983).
- E. Minguzzi, Found. Phys. Lett. 15, 153(2002).
- H. Weyl, Raum, Zeit, Materie 7th edn. (Springer, New York, 1988), based on the 5th German edn. of 1923.
- R. Anderson, I. Vetharaniam, and G. E. Stedman, Phys. Rep. 295, 93(1998).
- A. Janis, Conventionality of Simultaneity, The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, fall 2002 edn., E. N. Zalta, ed.; http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2OO2/entries/spacetime-convensimul/.
- P. Wolf, S. Bize, A. Clairon, A. N. Luiten, G. Santarelli, and M. E. Tobar, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 060402(2003).
- W. M. Macek and D. T. M. Davis, Jr., Appl. Phys. Lett. 2, 67(1963).
- H. Erlichson, Am. J. Phys. 41, 1298(1973).
- G. E. Stedman, Am. J. Phys. 41, 1300(1973).
- H. Weyl, Space, Time, Matter (Dover, New York, 1952), based on the 4th German edn. (1921), translation by H. L. Brose.
- C. Møller, The Theory of Relativity 2nd edn., (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1972), Sec. 2.2.
- Universal One-Way Light Speed from a Universal Light Speed Over Closed Paths
Foundations of Physics Letters
Volume 16, Issue 6 , pp 593-604
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- special relativity
- clock synchronization
- one-way light speed
- round-trip axiom