Quantum Event Structures from the Perspective of Grothendieck Topoi
- Elias Zafiris
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We develop a categorical scheme of interpretation of quantum event structures from the viewpoint of Grothendieck topoi. The construction is based on the existence of an adjunctive correspondence between Boolean presheaves of event algebras and Quantum event algebras, which we construct explicitly. We show that the established adjunction can be transformed to a categorical equivalence if the base category of Boolean event algebras, defining variation, is endowed with a suitable Grothendieck topology of covering systems. The scheme leads to a sheaf theoretical representation of Quantum structure in terms of variation taking place over epimorphic families of Boolean reference frames.
- V. S. Varadarajan, Geometry of Quantum Mechanics, Vol. 1 (Van Nostrand, Princeton, New Jersey, 1968).
- G. Birkhoff and J. von Neumann, "The logic of quantum mechanics,"Ann. Math. 37, 823 (1936).
- S. Kochen and E. Specker, "The problem of hidden variables in quantum mechanics,"J. Math. Mech. 17, 59 (1967).
- F. W. Lawvere and S. H. Schanuel, Conceptual Mathematics (University Press, Cambridge,1997).
- S. MacLane, Categories for the Working Mathematician (Springer, New York, 1971).
- F. Borceaux, Handbook of Categorical Algebra, Vols. 1-3 (University Press, Cambridge,1994).
- G. M. Kelly, "Basic concepts of enriched category theory," London Math. Soc. Lecture Notes Series 64, (1971).
- J. L. Bell, "Observations on category theory,"Axiomathes 12, 151 (2001).
- J. L. Bell, "From absolute to local mathematics,"synthese 69, 409 (1986).
- J. L. Bell, "Categories, toposes and sets," Synthese 51(3), 293 (1982).
- S. MacLane and I. Moerdijk, Sheaves in Geometry and Logic (Springer, New York, 1992).
- J. L. Bell, Toposes and Local Set Theories (University Press, Oxford, 1988).
- M. Artin, A. Grothendieck, and J. L. Verdier, Theorie de topos et cohomologie etale des schemas (Springer LNM 269 and 270) (Springer, Berlin, 1972).
- E. Zafiris, "On quantum event structures. Part I: The categorical scheme," Found. Phys. Lett. 14(2), 147 (2001). 1090 Zafiris
- E. Zafiris, "On quantum event structures. Part II: Interpretational aspects,"Found. Phys. Lett.14(2), 167 (2001).
- J. Butterfield and C. J. Isham, "A topos perspective on the Kochen-Specker theorem: I. Quantum states as generalized valuations,"Int. J. Theoret. Phys. 37, 2669 (1998).
- J. Butterfield and C. J. Isham, "A topos perspective on the Kochen-Specker theorem: II. Conceptual aspects and classical analogues,"Intern. J. Theoret. Phys. 38, 827 (1999).
- J. P. Rawling and S. A. Selesnick, "Orthologic and quantum logic. models and computational elements," Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery 47, 721 (2000).
- I. Raptis, "Presheaves, sheaves, and their topoi in quantum gravity and quantum logic," gr-qc/0110064.
- J. Butterfield and C. J. Isham, "Some possible roles for topos theory in quantum theory nd quantum gravity," Found. Phys. 30, 1707 (2000).
- G. Takeuti, "Two applications of logic to mathematics," Mathematical Society of Japan 13, Kano Memorial Lectures 3(1978).
- M. Davis, "A relativity principle in quantum mechanics,"Int. J. Theoret. Phys. 16, 867 (1977).
- E. Zafiris, "On Quantum Event Structures. Part III: Object of truth values,"Found. Phys. Lett., in press.
- Quantum Event Structures from the Perspective of Grothendieck Topoi
Foundations of Physics
Volume 34, Issue 7 , pp 1063-1090
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- quantum event structures
- Boolean reference frames
- Grothendieck topology
- Industry Sectors
- Elias Zafiris (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, University of Sofia, Blvd. James Bourchier, 1164, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2. Institute of Mathematics Panepistimiopolis, University of Athens, 15784, Athens, Greece