The Geographic Scope of Retail Deposit Markets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In analyzing the competitive effects of proposed bank mergers and acquisitions, United States antitrust authorities rely on two important assumptions: (1) that markets for at least some types of banking products are local in scope, and (2) that market concentration measures can serve as effective proxies for banks' abilities to extract monopoly rents. This paper uses balance sheet data from most banks operating in the United States in 1988, 1992, 1996, and 1999 to test these assumptions.
- Amel, Dean F., and M. Starr-McCluer. “Market Definition in Banking: Recent Evidence.” Antitrust Bulletin 47 (2002), 63–89.
- Berger, Allen N., and Timothy H. Hannan. “The Price Concentration Relationship in Banking.” Review of Economics and Statistics 71 (1989), 291–299.
- Biehl, Andrew R. “The Extent of the Market for Retail Banking Deposits.” Antitrust Bulletin 47 (2002), 91–106.
- Calem, Paul S., and Gerald A. Carlino. “The Concentration/Conduct Relationship in Bank Deposit Markets.” Review of Economics and Statistics 73 (1991), 268–276.
- Hannan, Timothy H. “Market Share Inequality, the Number of Competitors, and the HHI.” Review of Industrial Organization 12 (1997), 23–35.
- Hannan, Timothy H. and Robin A. Prager. “The Competitive Implications of Multimarket Bank Branching.” Journal of Banking and Finance (forthcoming).
- Heitfield, E. A. “What Do Interest Rate Data Say About the Geography of Retail Banking Markets?” Antitrust Bulletin 44 (1999), 333–347.
- Kwast, M. L., M. Starr-McCluer, and J. D. Wolken. “Market Definition and the Analysis of Antitrust in Banking.” Antitrust Bulletin 42 (1997), 973–995.
- Pilloff, Steven J., and Stephen A. Rhoades. “Structure and Profitability in Banking Markets.” Review of Industrial Organization 20 (2002), 81–98.
- Prager, Robin A., and Timothy H. Hannan. “Do Substantial Horizontal Mergers Generate Significant Price Effects? Evidence from the Banking Industry.” The Journal of Industrial Economics 46 (1998), 433–452.
- Radecki, Lawrence J. “The Expanding Geographic Reach of Retail Banking Markets.” Federal Reserve Bank of New York Economic Policy Review (June 1998), 15–33.
- The Geographic Scope of Retail Deposit Markets
Journal of Financial Services Research
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 37-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- geographic markets.
- Industry Sectors