Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Wheat and Drinking Water Samples from Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The organochlorine pesticide contamination in dietary sources has caused serious threat to the human progeny. The present studywas therefore conducted to evaluate the pesticide contaminationin wheat flour and drinking water from Jaipur City, Rajasthan,India using Gas Chromatograph. All the wheat and water sampleswere found to be contaminated with various organochlorinepesticide residues of DDT and its metabolites, HCH and itsisomers, heptachlor and its expoxide and aldrin. The amount ofpesticide detected in wheat flour was higher than the permissible limitsprescribed by WHO/FAO. In drinking water only a few pesticidesexceeded the permissible limits. Seasonal variations ofpesticides residues were also observed during the study period.
- Anonymous: 1996, Pesticide Residues in Paddy, Biennial Progress Report 1994–96, AICRP Pesticide Residues, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, 3–6.
- APHA: 1995, ‘Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater’, 19th ed. Washington DC.
- Bindra, O. S.: 1973, ‘A Review ofWork Done in India on Pesticides’, in: O. S. Bindra and R. L. Kalra (eds), Progress and Problems in Pesticide Residue Analysis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana and ICMR, New Delhi, 1–144.
- Brooks, G. T.: 1972, ‘Pesticides in Britain’, in F. Matsumura, G. M. Bousch and T. Misato (eds), Environmental Toxicology of Pesticides, Academic Press, New York, 61–114.
- Campbell, J. E., Richardson, L. A. and Schafer, M. L.: 1965, ‘Insecticide residues in human diet’, Arch. Environ. Health. 10, 831–836.
- Chawla, R. P., Joia, B. S. and Kalra, R. L.: 1979, ‘Assessment of losses of DDT and HCH residues in wheat flour during chapati making’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol 22, 833–837.
- Cohen, S. Z.: 1990, ‘Pesticides in Ground Water: An Overview’, in D. H. Hutson and I. R. Roberts (eds), Environmental Fate of Pesticides, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 13–15.
- Gupta, S. K., Verghese, S., Chatterjee, S. K. and Kashyap, S. K.: 1982, ‘Organochlorine pesticide residues in cokked meal samples in India’, Pesticides 16, 8–9.
- ICMR: ‘Manual Methods of Analysis of Adulterants and Contaminants in Food’, G. S. Toteja, A. Mikherjee, R. Mittal and B. N. Saxena (eds), Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, 1990.
- Joia, B. S., Chawla, R. P. and Kalra, R. L.: 1978, ‘Residues of DDT and HCH in wheat flour in Punjab’, Indian J. Ecol 5, 120–127.
- Kaphalia, B. S., Siddiqui, F. S. and Seth, T. D.: 1985, ‘Contamination levels in different food items and dietary intake of organochlorine pesticide residues in India’, India J. Med. Res. 81, 71–78.
- Kathpal, T. S. and Kumari, Beena: 1993, ‘Pesticide Contamination of Non-Fatty Foods in Developing Countries’, in G. S. Dhaliwal and B. Singh (eds), Pesticides: Their Ecological Impact in Developing in Developing Countries, Commonwealth Publishers, New Delhi, 169–171.
- Kathpal, T. S. and Kumari, Beena: 1998, ‘Pesticide Contamination of Environment: Its Implications and Management’, in G. S. Dhaliwal, N. S. Randhwa, Ramesh Arora and A. K. Dhawan (eds), Ecological Agriculture and Sustainable Development, Chandigarh, India, 537–557.
- Kraybill, H. F.: 1969, ‘Significance of pesticide residues in foods in relation to total environmental stress’, Can. Mes. Assoc. J. 100, 204.
- Lakshiminarayana, V. and P. K. Menon: 1975, ‘Screening of Hyderabad market samples of foodstuffs for organochlorine insecticide residues’, Indian J. Plant Protec. 3(1), 4–19.
- Mukherjee, D., Roy, B. R., Chakraborty, J. and Ghosh, B. N.: 1980, ‘Pesticide residues in human food in Calcutta’, Indian J. Med. Res. 72, 577–582.
- Nair, M. and Pillai, M. K. K.: 1992, ‘Trends in amient levels of DDT and HCH residues in humans and the environment of Delhi, India’, Sci. total Environ. 121, 145–157.
- Splidi, N. H. and Koppen, B.: 1998, ‘Results of an Extended Survey of Pesticides in Ground Water’, 15th Danish Plant Protection Conference on Side Effects of Pesticides Weeds, 2, 31–41.
- Thompson, R. H., Hill, E. G. and Fishwick, F. B.: 1970, ‘Pesticide residues in Britain XIII. Organochlorine residues in cereals, pulses and nuts’, Pestic. Sci. 1, 93–98.
- WHO: 1973, ‘Pesticide Residues in Food’, Report of the 1972 Joint FAO/WHO Meeting, Wld. Hlth. Org. Tech. Rep. Ser. No. 525, Geneva.
- Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Wheat and Drinking Water Samples from Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 98, Issue 1-3 , pp 381-389
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- gas chromatograph
- drinking water
- Jaipur city
- organochlorine pesticide residue
- wheat flour
- Industry Sectors