Letter to the Editor: Prevalence of HIV, HTLV-I and HTLV-II among female sex workers in Spain, 2000–2001
- María José Belza
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using an unlinked anonymous survey the seroprevalence of HIV, HTLV-I and HTLV-II was analysed among female sex workers. They were surveyed when they attended sexually transmitted disease clinics in six Spanish cities during the period 2000–2001. Fifty-eight percent of the 3149 women analysed came from Latin America or sub-Saharan Africa. The total prevalence of HIV was 0.7%, rising to 15.9% amongst injecting drug users (IDUs). When this group was not included, the prevalence amongst the Latin-Americans or sub-Saharan Africans was 0.8% and amongst the women from other origins 0.3%(p= 0.148). 33.3% of the women infected with HIV already knew about their infection. The prevalences of HTLV-I and HTLV-II were 0.3% and 0.2%, respectively. The prevalences of these three infections in this collective were low if evaluated without the IDUs.
- UNAIDS. Sex work and HIV/AIDS [Technical update. Best Practice Collection]. UNAIDS: Geneva, Switzerland, 2002, 19 pp.
- McKeganey NP. Prostitution and HIV: What do we know and where might research be targeted in the future? AIDS 1994; 8: 1215-1226.
- The EPI-VIH Study Group. HIV infection among people of foreign origin voluntarily tested in Spain. A comparison with national subjects. Sex Transm Infect 2002; 78: 250-254.
- Estébanez P, Zunzunegui MV, Aguilar MD, et al. A demographic and health survey of Spanish female sex workers: HIV prevalence and associated risk factors. J Biosoc Sci 1998; 30: 365-379.
- Vioque J, Hérnandez-Aguado I, Fernandez García E, García de la Hera M, Alvarez-Dardet C. Prospective cohort study of female sex workers and risk of HIV in Alicante, Spain (1986-96). Sex Transm Inf 1998; 74: 284-288.
- Ballesteros J, Clavo P, Castilla J, et al. Low sero-incidence and decrease in sero-prevalence of HIV among female prostitutes in Madrid. AIDS 1999; 13: 1143-1144.
- Onorato IM, Mc Cray E, Pappaioanau M, et al. HIV seroprevalence surveys in sexually transmitted disease clinics. In: Special section: The sentinel HIV seroprevalence surveys. Public Health Reports 1990; 105 (2): 119-124.
- Estébanez P, Varela JM, Rua-Figueroa M, et al. The presence of HTLV-I/II in non-intravenous drug using Spanish prostitutes. Int J STD AIDS 1992; 3: 62-63.
- European Project AIDS & Mobility. East-West mobility in Europe: Overcoming barriers to HIV prevention for mobile and migrant sex workers. [Seminar Report]. Vienna, Austria, 2001, 53 pp.
- Castilla J, Pachón I, González MP, et al. Seroprevalence of HIV and HTLV in a representative sample of the Spanish population. Epidemiol Infect 2000; 125: 159-162.
- Letter to the Editor: Prevalence of HIV, HTLV-I and HTLV-II among female sex workers in Spain, 2000–2001
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 279-282
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Migrant population
- Sex workers
- Industry Sectors
- María José Belza (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centro Nacional de Epidemiología, Sinesio Delgado, 6, 28029, Madrid, Spain