Supervisor Reduction for Discrete-Event Systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In supervisory control theory (SCT) the supremal supervisor (representing the supremal controllable sublanguage) typically has a large state size (of order the product of state sizes of the plant and specification automata). In this paper, we propose an algorithm which can significantly reduce supervisor size while preserving control action. We also show that finding a supervisor of minimal size is NP-hard.
- Bron, C., and Kerbosch, J. 1973. Algorithm 457: Finding all cliques of an undirected graph. CACM 16(9): 575–577.
- de Queiroz, M. H., and Cury, J. E. R. 2002. Synthesis and implementation of local modular supervisory control for a manufacturing cell. In: M. Silva, A. Giua, J. M. Colom (eds.) Proc. 6th International Workshop on Discrete Event Systems (WODES' 02), Zaragoza, Spain, 2–4 October 2002, p. 377–382. IEEE Computer Society.
- Garey, M. R., and Johnson, D. S. 1979. Computers and Intractability. A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. New York, USA: W. H. Freeman and Company.
- Hopcroft, J. E., and Ullman, J. D. 1979. Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation. Addison-Wesley.
- Minhas, R. S. 2002. Complexity Reduction in Discrete Event Systems. Ph.D. Thesis, ECE Department, University of Toronto.
- Pfleeger, C. P. 1973. State reduction in incompletely specified finite-state machines. IEEE Trans. on Computers C-22(12): 1099–1102.
- Pena, J. M., and Oliveira, A. L. 1998. A new algorithm for the reduction of incompletely specified finite-state machines. In Proc. ICCAD98, CA: San Jose, November.
- Pardalos, P. M., and Xue, J. 1994. The maximum clique problem. Global Optimization 4: 301–328.
- Ramadge, P. J., and Wonham, W. M. 1987. Supervisory control of a class of discrete event processes. SIAM J. Control and Optimization 25(1): 206–230.
- Vaz, A. F., and Wonham, W. M. 1986. On supervisor reduction in discrete-event systems. International J. Control 44(2): 475–491.
- Wonham, W. M. 2002. Notes on Control of Discrete-Event Systems: ECE 1636F/1637S 2002–2003. Systems Control Group, Dept. of ECE, University of Toronto. URL: www.control.utoronto.ca/people/profs/wonham/wonham.html
- Wonham, W. M., and Ramadge, P. J. 1987. On the supremal controllable sublanguage of a given language. SIAM J. Control and Optimization 25(3): 637–659.
- Supervisor Reduction for Discrete-Event Systems
Discrete Event Dynamic Systems
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 31-53
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- supervisory control theory
- control congruence
- algorithmic supervisor reduction
- minimal supervisor size estimation