A Cycle Time Computing Algorithm and its Application in the Structural Analysis of Min-max Systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An algorithm CalcCycleTime to compute the cycle time of min-max systems is proposed. The computation is done by first calling CalcSpectralRadius to find the spectral radius, and then recursively calling itself to compute the cycle time of the reduced system. This algorithm is found to be efficient in practice. It is also used as a theoretical tool to analyze the structure of the eigenspace of min-max systems. It is found that a partial order, which is induced from the min-max function, is the key to characterize the structure of the eigenspace of min-max functions.
- Cochet-Terrasson, J., Cohen, G., Gaubert, S., Gettrick, M., and Quadrat, J. P. 1998. Numerical computation of spectral elements in max-plus algebra. Proceedings 5th IFAC Conference on System Structure and Control 2: 667-674, Elsevier.
- Cochet-Terrasson, J., Gaubert, S., and Gunawardena, J. 1999. Constructive fixed point theorem for min-max functions. Dynamics and Stability of Systems 14(2): 407-433.
- Dasdan, A., Irani, S. S., and Gupta, R. K. 1998. An experimental study of minimum mean cycle algorithms. UCI-ICS Technical Report 98-32. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Gaubert, S., and Gunawardena, J. 1998a. The duality theorem for min-max functions. C.R. Acad. Sci. 326: 43-48.
- Gaubert, S., and Gunawardena, J. 1998b. A non-linear hierarchy for discrete event dynamical systems. Proc. 4th Workshop on Discrete Event Systems, Cagliari, Italy.
- Gaubert, S., and Gunawardena, J. 1999. Existence of eigenvectors for monotone homogeneous functions. Technical report HPL-BRIMS-1999-08, HP Laboratories.
- Gunawardena, J. 1994a. Min-max functions. Discrete Event Dynamic Systems, Theory and Applications 4: 377-406.
- Gunawardena, J. 1994b. Cycle times and fixed points of min-max functions. In G. Cohen and J.-P. Quadrat, editors, 11th International Conference on Analysis and Optimization of Systems, LNCIS 199: 266-272, Springer.
- Karp, R. M. 1978. A characterization of the minimum mean-cycle in a diagraph. Discrete Mathematics 23: 309-311.
- Kohlberg, E. 1980. Invariant half-lines of nonexpansive piecewise-linear transformations. Math. Oper. Res. 5(3): 366-372
- Olsder, G. J. 1991. Eigenvalues of dynamic max-min systems. Discrete Event Dynamic Systems, Theory and Applications 1: 177-207.
- Olsder, G. J. 1993. On structural properties of min-max systems. TWI report 93-95, Faculty of Technical Mathematics and Informatics, Delft University of Technology.
- Olsder, G. J., and Perennes, S. 1997. Iteration of (min,max, +) functions. Online draft, available: http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/310205.html.
- van der Woude, J. W., and Subiono. 2003. Conditions for the structural existence of an eigenvalue of a bipartite (min,max, +)-system. Theoretical Computer Science 293: 13-24.
- Zhao, Q., Zheng, D., and Zhu, X. 2001. Structure properties of min-max systems and existence of global cycle time. IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control AC-46(1): 148-151.
- A Cycle Time Computing Algorithm and its Application in the Structural Analysis of Min-max Systems
Discrete Event Dynamic Systems
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 5-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- min-max functions
- cycle time
- max-plus algebra