The Impact of Day Hospital Closure on Social Networks, Clinical Status, and Service Use: A Naturalistic Experiment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective: Little research is conducted on service closures. We examined the social, clinical and service use impact of the closure of a partial hospitalisation service (day hospital) on its users. Methods: Patients attending the closing day hospital were studied at closure and one year after, and compared to patients at an unchanged day hospital. Results: The closure did not increase use of inpatient beds, primary care or emergency room. Overall clinical improvements were similar for both groups as were costs. Social networks of the discharged patients decreased. Conclusions: Closures of services need to be as carefully evaluated as new developments.
- Asberg, M., Montgomery, S. A., Perris, C., Schalling, D., & Sedvall, G. (1978). A comprehensive psychopathological rating scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Supplementum, 5-27.
- Beck, A., Croudace, T., Singh, S.P., Harrison, G. (1997) Nottingham acute bed use study 1: alternatives to admission. British Journal of Psychiatry 170: pp. 247-252
- Beecham, J., Knapp, M. Costing psychiatric interventions. In: Thornicroft, G., Brewin, C. R., Wing, J. eds. (1992) Measuring Mental Health Needs. Gaskell, London, pp. 163-191
- Catty, J., Burns, T., Knapp, M., Watt, H., Wright, C., Henderson, J., Healey, A. (2002) Home treatment for mental health problems: A systematic review. Psychological Medicine 32: pp. 383-401
- Coid, J. (1994) Failure in community care: psychiatry's dilemma. BMJ 308: pp. 805-806
- Cooper, J. E. (1979). Crisis admission units and emergency psychiatric services. In Public Health in Europe, No. 2. Copenhagen.
- Cutler, D. L., Tatum, E., Shore, J. H. (1987) A Comparison of Schizophrenic Patients in Different Community Support Treatment Approaches. Community Mental Health Journal 23: pp. 103-113
- Drake, R. E., Becker, D. R., Biesanz, J. C., Torrey, W. C., McHugo, G. J., Wyzik, P. F. (1994) Rehabilitative Day Treatment vs. Supported Employment: I. Vocational Outcomes. Community Mental Health Journal 30: pp. 519-531
- Dunn, M., O'Driscoll, C., Dayson, D., Wills, W., Leff, J. (1985) The TAPS Project. 4: An observational study of the social life of long-stay patients. British Journal of Psychiatry 157: pp. 842-848
- Goddard, K. (1999) Impact of Day Hospital Closure on Social Networks, Clinical Status and Service Use: A Controlled Trial. Report to South West London and St. George's Mental Health NHS Trust.
- Knapp, M. The costing process: background theory. In: Netten, A., Beecham, J. eds. (1993) Costing Community Care. Theory and Practice. Ashgate, Aldershot
- Knapp, M., Beecham, J. (1993) Reduced list costings: examination of an informed short cut in mental health research. Health Economics 2: pp. 313-322
- Mbaya, P., Creed, F., Tomenson, B. (1998) The different uses of day hospitals. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 98: pp. 283-287
- Netten, A., & Dennett, J. (1997). Unit Costs of Health and Social Care. Canterbury: University of Kent: Personal Social Services Research Unit.
- Phelan, M., Slade, M., Thornicroft, G., Dunn, G., Holloway, F., Wykes, T., Strathdee, G., Loftus, L., McCrone, P., Hayward, P. (1995) The Camberwell Assessment of Need: the validity and reliability of an instrument to assess the needs of people with severe mental illness. British Journal of Psychiatry 167: pp. 589-595
- STATA Corp (1999) Statistical Software 6.0. College Station TX: STATA Corp.
- Torrey, W. C., Clark, R. E., Becker, D. R., Wyzik, P. K., Drake, R. E., Kennedy, L. L. (1997) Switching from rehabilitative day treatment to supported employment. Continuum, Developments in Ambulatory Mental Health Care. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, pp. 27-38
- Wright, C., Catty, J., Burns, T., & Watt, H. (submitted to Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica). Beyond Research Studies: the Sustainability of Experimental Services in Home Treatment Studies and their Classification.
- The Impact of Day Hospital Closure on Social Networks, Clinical Status, and Service Use: A Naturalistic Experiment
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 40, Issue 3 , pp 223-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- partial hospitalization
- mental illness
- service closure
- Author Affiliations
- 1. South West London and St. George's Mental Health NHS Trust, London
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, St. George's Hospital Medical School, Jenner Wing, Cranmer Terrace, London, SW17 ORE
- 3. St. George's Hospital Medical School, London