On Climate Variations and Changes Observed in South Korea
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study describes observations on possible climate changes occurring on the Korean Peninsula. We found that in large urban and industrial areas in Korea, there has been a significant increase in the annual mean temperatures according to data of the past 29 years. The increase in January temperatures was in the order of 0.8 ∼ 2.4 ° C. However, in rural and marine stations, the increase in annual mean temperature was 0.6 ° C; the level of the global average. There was also an increase in precipitation: 259 mm over the recent 97 years. Observation has revealed that a month-long steady rainfall in late June and July with a quasi-stationary polar front has not occurred in recent years and has been replaced with scattered convective heavy-showers on a local scale in July and August. It is observed that the behaviour of this rainy front, `the Changma front' has brought changes to rainfall characteristics. Our results highlight the importance of the shortened rainy season. However, the amount of rainfall and the number of heavy rainfall days have increased.
- Aizen, E. M., Aizen, V. B., Melack, N., Nakamura, T., and Ohta, T.: 2001, 'Precipitation and Atmospheric Circulation Patterns at Mid-latitudes of Asia', Int. J. Clim. 21(5), 535-556. CrossRef
- Chae, S. S.: 2003, 'On the Climate Change during the 20th Century in North Korea', Int. Symp. on Climate Change, 31 March~3 April, Beijing, WMO/TD-No. 1172, 241-244.
- Chung, Y. S.: 1977, 'An Observational Study of the Influence of Large-scale Mountains on Air-flow and Lee Cyclogenesis',Arch. Meteor. Geoph. Biokl. A26, 109-126.
- Chung, Y. S., Kim, H. S., and Park, K. H.: 2004, 'Satellite and Ground-Based Observations of the Typhoon which Passed through South-East Korea on 12 Sept. 2003', Int. J. Remote Sensing 25, Front Cover and 6 pages.
- Chung, Y. S. and Le, H.: 2004, 'Satellite Detection of Ice Melt over the Arctic Ocean', Int. J. Remote Sensing 25, Front Cover and 291-296. CrossRef
- Chung, Y. S. and Tans, P. P.: 2000, 'Monitoring Greenhouse Gases at Tae-ahn Peninsula, Korea', J. Korean Meteorol. Soc. 36(1), 25-34.
- Chung, Y. S. and Yoon, M. B.: 2000, 'Interpretation of Recent Temperature and Precipitation Trends Observed in Korea', J. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 67, 171-180. CrossRef
- Crocker, A. M., Godson, W. L., and Penner, C. M.: 1947, 'Frontal Contour Charts', J. Meteorol. 4, 95-99.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change): 1995, The Science of Climate Change,WMO-UNEP, p. 531.
- Jugder, D. and Chung, Y. S.: 2002, 'Observed Climate Variability and Change in Mongolia', J. Korean Meteorol. Soc. 38(6), 593-609.
- Kim, M. U.: 2003, 'Characteristics of Recent Variation of Changma (Monsoon) in North Korea', Int. Symp. on Climate Change, 31 March~3 April, Beijing, WMO/TD-No. 1172, 98-99.
- McCabe, G. J., Clark, M. P., and Serreze, M. C.: 2001, 'Trends in Northern Hemisphere Surface Cyclone Frequency and Intensity', J. Climate 14(12), 2763-2768. CrossRef
- Mitchell, J. F. B., Davis, R. A., Ingram, W. J., and Senior, C. A.: 1995, 'On Surface Temperatures, Greenhouse Gases, and Aerosols: Models and Observations', J. Climate 8, 2364-2385. CrossRef
- Munn, R. E.: 1998, Emerging Environmental Issues, SCOPE-UNEP Report, Paris and Nairobi, p. 34.
- Parmesan, C. and Yohe, G.: 2003, 'A Globally Coherent Fingerprint of Climate Change Impacts across Natural Systems', Nature 421, 37-42. CrossRef
- Qian, W. and Zhu, Y.: 2001, 'Climate Change in China from 1880 to 1998 and its Impact on the Environmental Condition, Clim. Change 50(4), 419-444. CrossRef
- Root, T. L., Price, J. T., Hall, K. R., Schneider, S. H., Rosenzweig C., and Pounds, J. A.: 2003, 'Fingerprints of Global Warming on Wild Animals and Plants', Nature 421 (Jan. 2), 57-60. CrossRef
- Trewartha, G. T.: 1968, An Introduction to Climate (4th edn.), McGraw-Hill, New York, p. 244.
- U.S. Global Change Research Program: 1999, Our Changing Planet, Nat. Sci. and Tech. Council, p. 124.
- On Climate Variations and Changes Observed in South Korea
Volume 66, Issue 1-2 , pp 151-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors