Gasless Combustion of Ti–Al Bimetallic Multilayer Nanofoils
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Ti–Al multilayer foils were produced magnetron vacuum deposition. The microstructure period varied in the range of 5–110 nm, the number of layers was 150–4700, and the total thickness of a multilayer foil reached 15–20 μm. The gasless combustion of the foils was studied. Steady‐state and pulsating combustion regimes were revealed; combustion temperatures were determined for both regimes. It was shown that the most probable mechanism of the self‐propagating reaction is the diffusion of Al in β‐Ti at a temperature close to the temperature of the α → β transition.
- A. P. Aldushin and B. I. Khaikin, “Combustion of mixtures forming condensed reaction products,” Combust. Expl. Shock Waves, 10, No. 3, 273–280 (1974).
- A. P. Hard and P. V. Phung, “Propagation of gasless reactions in solids. 1. Analytical study of exothermic intermetallic reaction rates,” Combust. Flame, 21, No. 1, 77–89 (1973).
- R. Armstrong, “Models for gasless combustion in layered materials and random media,” Combust. Sci. Technol., 71, 155–174 (1990).
- V. A. Shcherbakov, A. S. Shteinberg, and Z. A. Munir, “Formation of the end product in combustion of Ni-Al layeres,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 364, No. 5, 647–652 (1999).
- V. A. Shcherbakov, A. S. Shteinberg, and Z. A. Munir, “Kinetics of combustion in the layered Ni-Al system,” Combust. Sci. Technol., 169, 1–24 (2001).
- T. W. Barbee and T. Weihs, “Ignitable heterogeneous stratified structure for the propagating of an internal exothermic chemical reaction along an expanding wave front and method of making same,” U.S. Patent No. 5538795. July 23, 1996.
- M. E. Reiss, C. M. Esber, D. Van Heerden, et al. “Selfpropagating formation reactions in Nb-Si multilayers,” Mater. Sci. Eng., A261, 217–222 (1999).
- C. Michaelsen, K. Barmak, and T. P. Weihs, “Investigating the thermodynamics and kinetics of thin foil reactions by differential scanning calorimetry,” J. Phys. D, Appl. Phys., 30, 3197–3186 (1997).
- V. G. Myagkov, V. S. Zhigalov, L. E. Bykova, and V. K. Mal'tsev, “Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis and solid-state reactions in two-layer foils,” Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 68, No. 10, 58–62 (1998).
- A. B. Mann, A. J. Gavens, M. E. Reiss, et al. “Modelling and characterizing the propagation velocity of exothermic reactions in multilayer foils,” J. Appl. Phys., 82, No. 3, 1178–1188 (1997).
- S. Jayaraman, A. B. Mann, M. Reiss, et al., “Numerical study of the effect of heat losses on self-propagating reactions in multilayer foils,” Combust. Flame, 124, 178–194 (2001).
- S. Jayaraman, O. M. Knio, A. B. Mann, and T. P. Weihs, “Numerical predictions of oscillatory combustion in reactive multilayers,” J. Appl. Phys., 86, No. 2, 800–809 (1999).
- E. Besnoin, S. Cerutti, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Effect of reactant and product melting on selfpropagating reactions in multilayer foils,” J. Appl. Phys., 92, No. 9, 5474–5481 (2002).
- A. É. Grigoryan and N. G. Elistratov, D. Yu. Kovalev, et al., “Autowave propagation of exothermic reactions in Ti-Al multilayer foils,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 381, No. 3, 368–372 (2001).
- N. G. Elistratov, A. N. Nosyrev, V. I. Khvesyuk, and P. A. Tsygankov, “Experimental plasma equipment for the production of supermultilayer sandwiches,” Prikl. Fiz., 3, 8–12 (2001).
- V. I. Itin and Yu. S. Naiborodenko, High-Temperature Synthesis of Intermetallic Compounds [in Russian], Izd. Tomsk. Univ., Tomsk (1989), p. 63.
- ''T. B. Massalski (ed.), Binary Alloy Phase Diagram, ASM, Material Park, OH (1990).
- A. G. Merzhanov, “The theory of stable homogeneous combustion of condensed substances,” Combust. Flame, 13, 143–156 (1968).
- A. V. Lykov, Heat and Mass Transfer: Handbook [in Russian], Énergiya, Moscow (1972), p. 407.
- Y. Mishin and Chr. Herzig, “Diffusion in the Ti-Al system,” Acta Materiala, 48, 589–623 (2000).
- I. S. Grigor'ev and E. Z. Meilikhov (eds.), Physical Quantities: Handbook [in Russian], Énergoatomizdat, Moscow (1991), p. 255.
- Gasless Combustion of Ti–Al Bimetallic Multilayer Nanofoils
Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 166-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- gasless combustion
- multilayer foils
- intermetallic compounds
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Structural Macrokinetics and Problems of Materials Science, Russian Academy of Sciences, Chernogolovka, 142432
- 2. Bauman Moscow State Technical University, Moscow, 107005