Improved Performance of Nano-Size H-BEA Zeolite Catalysts for the Friedel–Crafts Acetylation of Anisole by Acetic Anhydride
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nano-size zeolite H-BEA (n-H-BEA) prepared by “confined space synthesis” (CSS) within the pores of a carbon black matrix shows improved activity without loss in para-selectivity for the Friedel–Crafts acetylation of anisole by acetic anhydride. The turnover frequency (TOF) of n-H-BEA exceeds that of a conventional H-BEA catalyst of similar aluminum and thus acid site content by a factor of about three at intermediate conversion. The latter observation is attributed to enhanced access and better utilization of the whole zeolite intracrystalline volume by the reactants as well as to the easier desorption of the acetylated product, p-methoxyacetophenone.
- G.A. Olah, in: Friedel–Crafts Related Reactions, Vol. 1–4 (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1963–1964).
- G.A. Olah, in: Friedel–Crafts Related Reactions (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1973).
- P. Métivier, in: Fine Chemicals through Heterogeneous Catalysis, eds. R.A. Sheldon and H. van Bekkum (Wiley–VCH, Weinheim, 2001) p. 161and references cited therein.
- P. Marion, R. Jacquot, S. Ratton and M. Guisnet, in: Zeolites for Cleaner Technologies, eds. M. Guisnet and J.P. Gilson (Imperial College Press, 2002) p. 281.
- E.G. Derouane, C.J. Dillon, D. Bethell and S.B. Abd Hamid, J. Catal. 187 (1999) 209.
- E.G. Derouane, G. Crehan, C.J. Dillon, D. Bethell, H. He and S.B. Abd Hamid, J. Catal. 194 (2000) 410.
- F. Jayat, M.J. Sabater Picot and M. Guisnet, Catal. Lett. 41 (1996) 181.
- M. Guisnet and G. Perot, in: Fine Chemicals through Heterogeneous Catalysis, eds. R.A. Sheldon and H. van Bekkum (Wiley–VCH, Weinheim, 2001) p. 161and references cited therein.
- C.J. Dillon, PhD Thesis, University of Liverpool, 2000.
- P. Andy, J. Garcia-Martinez, G. Lee, H. Gonzalez, C.W. Jones and M.E. Davis, J. Catal. 192 (2000) 215.
- P. Botella, A. Corma and G. Sastre, J. Catal. 197 (2001) 81.
- P. Moreau, A. Finiels, P. Meric and F. Fajula, Catal. Lett. 85 (2003) 199.
- C. Madsen and C.J.H. Jacobsen, Chem. Commun. (1999) 673.
- A.J. Janssen, I. Schmidt, C.J.H. Jacobsen, A.J. Koster and K.P. de Jong, Micropor. Mesopor. Mater. 65 (2003) 59.
- Improved Performance of Nano-Size H-BEA Zeolite Catalysts for the Friedel–Crafts Acetylation of Anisole by Acetic Anhydride
Volume 95, Issue 1-2 , pp 13-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- particle size
- acid catalysis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry, Leverhulme Centre for Innovative Catalysis, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 7ZD, UK
- 3. Haldor Topsøe A/S Research Laboratories, Nymøllevej 55, DK-2800, Lyngby, Denmark