Autonomous Consumption: Buying Into the Ideology of Capitalism
- Anne Cunningham
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this article is to examine three different approaches to autonomy in order to demonstrate how each leads to a different conclusion about the ethicality of advertising. I contend that Noggle's (1995) belief-based autonomy theory provides the most complete understanding of autonomy. Read in conjunction with Arendt's theory of cooperative power, Noggle's theory leads to the conclusion that advertising does not violate consumers' autonomy. Although it is possible for advertisers to abuse the power granted them by society these abuses do not constitute a violation of consumers' autonomy.
- Arendt, H.: 1986, 'Communicative Power', in S. Lukes (ed.), Power (New York University Press, New York, NY), pp. 59-74.
- Arrington, R.: 1982, 'Advertising and Behavior Control', Journal of Business Ethics 1, 3-12.
- Christman, J.: 1988, 'Constructing the Inner Citadel: Recent Work on the Concept of Autonomy', Ethics 99 (October), 109-124.
- Crisp, R.: 1987, 'Persuasive Advertising, Autonomy, and the Creation of Desire', Journal of Business Ethics 6, 413-418.
- Haworth, L.: 1984, 'Autonomy and Utility', Ethics 95 (October), 5-19.
- Hiley, D.: 1987, 'Power and Values in Corporate Life', Journal of Business Ethics 6(5), 343-354.
- Jhally, S. (Producer &; Writer): 1998, Advertising &; the End of the World. [Video Cassette]. (Available from The Media Education Foundation, Northampton, MA).
- Lukes, S.: 1974, Power: A Radical View (Macmillan Education Ltd., London, England).
- Lukes, S.: 1986, Power (New York University Press, Washington Square, NY).
- Noggle, R.: 1995, 'Autonomy, Value and Conditioned Desire', American Philosophical Quarterly 32(1), 57-70.
- Sneddon, A.: 2001, 'Advertising and Deep Autonomy', Journal of Business Ethics 33, 15-28.
- Autonomous Consumption: Buying Into the Ideology of Capitalism
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 48, Issue 3 , pp 229-236
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Anne Cunningham (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Manship School of Mass Communication, Louisiana State University, 220 Johnston Hall, Baton Rouge, LA, 70805, U.S.A.