Customisation and Context for Expressive Behaviour in the Broadband World
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The introduction of consumer broadband makes it possible to have an emotionally much richer experience of the Internet. One way of achieving this is the use of animated characters endowed with emotionally expressive behaviour. This paper describes Demeanour, a framework for generating expressive behaviour, developed collaboratively by University College London and BT. The focus of this paper will be on two important aspects — the customisation of expressive behaviour and how expressive behaviour can be made context dependent.
- Mortlock, A, Machin, D, McConnell, S, Sheppard, P. '. (1997) Virtual conferencing. BT Technol J 14: pp. 120-129
- Cheng L, Stone L, Farnhamand S, Clark A N and Zaner M: 'Hutchworld: lessons learned a collaborative project', Fred Hutchinson cancer research center and Microsoft research, in Heudin J C (Ed): 'Virtual worlds', Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer (2000).
- Marsella S C, Johnson W L and LaBore C: 'Interactive pedagogical drama', Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Autonomous Agents, pp 301-308 (2000).
- Cheng, L, Farnham, S, Stone, L. '. Lessons learned: building and deploying virtual environments: The Social Life of Avatars, Presence and Interaction. In: Schroeder, R eds. (2002) Shared virtual worlds. Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Springer
- Blumberg B and Galyean T: 'Multi-level direction of autonomous creatures for real-time virtual environments', ACM SIGGRAPH, pp 47-54 (1995).
- Badler N, Philips C and Webber B (Eds): 'Simulating humans: computer graphics, animation and control', Oxford University Press (1993).
- Tu X and Terzopoulos D: 'Artificial fishes: physics, locomotion, perception, behavior', ACM SIGGRAPH, pp 43-49 (1994).
- Perlin K and Goldberg A: 'Improv: a system for scripting interactive actors in virtual worlds', Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 96 (New Orleans, Louisiana), Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series, ACM SIGGRAPH/Addison Wesley, pp 205-216 (August 1996).
- Rickel, J, Johnson, W. L. '. (1999) Animated agents for procedural training in virtual reality: Perception, cognition, and motor control. Applied Artificial Intelligence 13: pp. 343-382
- Pelachaud, C, Poggi, I. '. (2002) Subtleties of facial expressions in embodied agents. Journal of Visualisation and Computer Animation 13: pp. 287-300
- Cassell J, Bickmore T, Campbell L, Chang K, Vilhj´almsson H and Yan H: 'Embodiment in conversational interfaces: Rea', ACM SIGCHI, ACM Press, pp 520-527 (1999).
- Gillies, M, Dodgson, N. '. (2002) Eye movements and attention for behavioural animation. Journal of Visualisation and Computer Animation 13: pp. 287-300
- Chi D, Costa M, Zhao L and Badler N: 'The emote model for effort and shape', ACM SIGGRAPH, ACM Press/Addison-Wesley Publishing Co, pp 173-182 (2000).
- Cassell J, Nakano Y, Bickmore T, Sidner C and Rich C: 'Non-verbal cues for discourse structure', 41st Annual Meeting of the Association of Computational Linguistics (Toulouse, France), pp 106-115 (2001).
- Bécheiraz P and Thalmann D: 'A model of nonverbal communication and interpersonal relationship between virtual actors', Proceedings of the Computer Animation '96, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp 58-67 (June 1996).
- Maya V, Lamolle M and Pelachaud C: 'Influences on embodied conversational agent's expressivity', AISB workshop on Language, Speech and Gesture for Expressive Characters (University of Leeds) (Olivier P, Aylett R and Cavazza M, Eds), pp 75-85 (March 2004).
- Soltysiak, S. J., Crabtree, I. B. '. (1998) Automatic learning of user profiles-towards personalisation of agent services. BT Technol J 16: pp. 110-117
- Gillies M, Crabtree B and Ballin D: 'Expressive characters and a text chat interface', AISB workshop on Language, Speech and Gesture for Expressive Characters (University of Leeds) (Olivier P and Aylett R, Eds) (March 2004).
- Argyle M: 'Bodily communication', Routledge (1975).
- Gillies M and Ballin D: 'A model of interpersonal attitude and posture generation', Fourth Workshop on Intelligent Virtual Agents (Kloster Irsee, Germany) (Rist T, Aylett R, Ballin D and Rickel J, Eds) (September 2003).
- Coulson M: 'Expressing emotion through body movement: a component based approach', AISB workshop on Animating Expressive Characters for Social Interactions (Imperial College London) (Aylett R and Cañamero L, Eds) (April 2002).
- Cassell J, Vilhjálmsson H H and Bickmore T: 'BEAT: the behavior expression animation toolkit', ACM SIGGRAPH, pp 477-486 (2001).
- Mehrabian A (Ed): 'Nonverbal communication', Aldine-Atherton (1972).
- Argyle M and Cook M: 'Gaze and mutual gaze', Cambridge University Press (1976).
- Chopra-Khullar S and Badler N: 'Where to look? automating visual attending behaviors of virtual human characters', Autonomous Agents Conference (1999).
- Garau M, Slater M, Bee S and Sasse M A: 'The impact of eye gaze on communication using humanoid avatars', ACM SIGCHI, pp 309-316 (2001).
- Colburn A, Cohen M and Drucker S: 'The role of eye gaze in avatar mediated conversational interfaces', Tech report, Microsoft Research (2000).
- Vilhjálmsson H H and Cassell J: 'Bodychat: autonomous communicative behaviors in avatars', Second ACM International Conference on Autonomous Agents (1998).
- Thórisson K: 'Real-time decision making in multimodal face-to-face communication', Second ACM International Conference on Autonomous Agents, pp 16-23 (1998).
- MacNamee B, Dobbyn S, Cunningham P and O'Sullivan C: 'Men behaving appropriately: Integrating the role passing technique into the aloha system', AISB workshop on Animating Expressive Characters for Social Interactions (Imperial College London) (Aylett R and Cañamero L, Eds) (April 2002).
- Goffman E: 'The presentation of self in everyday life', Pelican (1972).
- Customisation and Context for Expressive Behaviour in the Broadband World
BT Technology Journal
Volume 22, Issue 2 , pp 7-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors