Microneedle Insertion Force Reduction Using Vibratory Actuation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of vibratory actuation on microneedle insertion force was investigated. Hollow micro hypodermic injection needles were fabricated by a two-wafer polysilicon micromolding process. A vibratory actuator operating in the kHz range was coupled with the hypodermic microneedles. The force to insert microneedles into excized animal tissue was measured with a load cell. Results showed a greater than 70% reduction in microneedle insertion force by using vibratory actuation. The application of vibratory actuation provides a promising method to precisely control the microneedle insertion forces to overcome microneedle structural material limitations, minimize insertion pain, and enhance the efficiency of drug delivery.
- J. Brazzle, I. Papautsky, and A.B. Frazier, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine 18(6), 53–58 (1999).
- J. Brazzle, D. Bartholomeusz, R. Davies, J. Andrade, R.A. Van Wageman, and A.B. Frazier, Proceedings 2000 Solid State Sensor and Actuator Workshop Hilton Head, S.C., 199–202 (2000).
- S. Chandrasekaran and A.B. Frazier, IEEE EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine and Biology, Madison, WI, 94–98 (May, 2002).
- J. Chen and K.D. Wise, Proceedings 1994 Solid State Sensor and Actuator Workshop, Hilton Head, S.C., 256–259 (1994).
- S.P. Davis, M.G. Allen, and M.R. Prausnitz, Proceedings of the 2nd Joint EMBS/BMES Conference Houston, TX, 498–499 (2002).
- S. Henry, D.V. McAllister, M. Allen, and M. Prausnitz, Proceedings of the IEEE Eleventh Annual International Workshop on MEMS, Heidelberg, Germany, 494–498 (1998).
- S. Kaushik, A.H. Hord, D.D. Denson, D.V. McAllister, S. Smitra, M.G. Allen, and M.R. Prausnitz, Anesth. Analg. 92, 502–504 (2001).
- C.G. Keller and R.T. Howe, International Solid State Sensors and Actuator Conference. Transducers `95, Stockholm, Sweden, 376–379 (1995).
- J. Kost, J. Controlled Release 24, 247–255 (1993).
- A. Lal, Proc. of the 20th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society 20(6), 2785–2790 (1998).
- A. Lal and R.M. White, Proc. IEEE Ultrasonic Symposium 1995 2, 1593–1596 (1995).
- K.S. Lebouitz and A.P. Pisano, Proceedings Microstructures and Microfabrication Systems IV, 194th meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Boston, MA (Nov. 1–6, 1998).
- D. Liepmann, A. Pisano, and B. Sage, Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics 1(4), 469–476 (1999).
- L. Lin, A.P. Pisano, and R.S. Muller, Proceedings 7th International Conference on Solid State Sensors and Actuators (Transducers'93), Yokohama, Japan, 237–240 (1993).
- D.V. McAllister, M.G. Allen, and M.R. Prausnitz, Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 2, 289–313 (2000).
- D.V. McAllister, E Cros, S.P. Davis, L.M. Matta, M.R. Prausnitz, and M.G. Allen, Proceedings 10th International Conference on Solid State Sensors and Actuators (Transducers'99), 1098–1101 (1999).
- I.E. Papautsky, J.D. Brazzle, H. Swerdlow, and A.B. Frazier, IEEE International Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference Chicago, IL (October, 1997).
- M.R. Prausnitz, In: Electronically Controlled Drug Delivery, edited by B. Bemer and S.M. Dinh (CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1995).
- E.W Smith and H.L. Malbach, Percutaneous Penetration Enhancers (CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1995).
- B. Stoeber and D. Liepmann, Proceedings of the first IEEE-EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnology in Medicine & Biology, 224–228 (2000a).
- B. Stoeber and D. Liepmann, Proceedings of the ASME MEMS Division, IMECE, 1, 355–359 (2000b).
- B. Stoeber and D. Liepmann, Proceedings 2002 Solid State Sensor and Actuator Workshop Hilton Head, S.C., 77–80 (2002).
- P. Stupar and A.P. Pisano, Proceedings 11th International Conference on Solid State Sensors and Actuators (Transducers'01), Munich, Germany, 1356–1359 (2001).
- N. Talbot and A.P. Pisano, Proceedings 1998 Solid State Sensor and Actuator Workshop, Hilton Head S.C., 265–268 (1998).
- J.D. Zahn, N.H. Talbot, D. Liepmann, and A.P. Pisano, Biomedical Microdevices 2(4), 295–303 (2000a).
- J.D. Zahn, D. Trebotich, and D. Liepmann, Proceedings of the First IEEE EMBS Joint Conference on Microtechnology in Biology and Medicine, 375–380 (2000b).
- Microneedle Insertion Force Reduction Using Vibratory Actuation
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 177-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- insertion force
- vibratory actuation
- drug delivery
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Bioengineering, The Pennsylvania State University, U.S.A
- 2. Department of Bioengineering, The Pennsylvania State University and Materials Research Institute, The Pennsylvania State University, 224 Hallowell Building, University Park, PA, 16802, U.S.A