The Equality Constrained Indefinite Least Squares Problem: Theory and Algorithms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present theory and algorithms for the equality constrained indefinite least squares problem, which requires minimization of an indefinite quadratic form subject to a linear equality constraint. A generalized hyperbolic QR factorization is introduced and used in the derivation of perturbation bounds and to construct a numerical method. An alternative method is obtained by employing a generalized QR factorization in combination with a Cholesky factorization. Rounding error analysis is given to show that both methods have satisfactory numerical stability properties and numerical experiments are given for illustration. This work builds on recent work on the unconstrained indefinite least squares problem by Chandrasekaran, Gu, and Sayed and by the present authors.
- A. Bojanczyk, N. J. Higham, and H. Patel, Solving the indefinite least squares problem by hyperbolic QR factorization, Numerical Analysis Report No. 397, Manchester Centre for Computational Mathematics, Manchester, England, 2002. Revised April 2002. To appear in SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl.
- S. Chandrasekaran, M. Gu, and A. H. Sayed, A stable and efficient algorithm for the indefinite linear least-squares problem, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., 20:2 (1998), pp. 354-362.
- A. J. Cox and N. J. Higham, Accuracy and stability of the null space method for solving the equality constrained least squares problem, BIT, 39:1 (1999), pp. 34-50.
- L. Eldén Perturbation theory for the least squares problem with linear equality constraints, SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 17:3 (1980), pp. 338-350.
- N. J. Higham, Accuracy and Stability of Numerical Algorithms, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2nd ed., 2002.
- N. J. Higham, J-orthogonal matrices: Properties and generation, Numerical Analysis Report No. 408, Manchester Centre for Computational Mathematics, Manchester, England, 2002.
- R. A. Horn and C. R. Johnson, Topics in Matrix Analysis, Cambridge University Press, UK, 1991.
- The Equality Constrained Indefinite Least Squares Problem: Theory and Algorithms
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 43, Issue 3 , pp 505-517
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- equality constrained indefinite least squares problem
- J-orthogonal matrix
- hyperbolic rotation
- hyperbolic QR factorization
- generalized hyperbolic QR factorization
- rounding error analysis
- forward stability
- perturbation theory
- Cholesky factorization
- Industry Sectors