Scale-up production of puerarin from hairy roots of Pueraria phaseoloides in an airlift bioreactor
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hairy roots of the Chinese herb, Pueraria phaseoloides, obtained from leaf explants and transformed with the Agrobacterium rhizogenes, were cultured in 2.5 l airlift bioreactors for three weeks. Puerarin accumulated at 5570 μg g−1 dry wt, which is near 200 times as much as in 250 ml flask cultures. In addition, puearin was exuded into the nutrient medium at final concentrations higher than in the hairy roots themselves.
- Agostini E, de Forchetti SM, Tigier HA (1997) Production of peroxidases by hairy roots of Brassica napus. Plant Cell Rep. 47: 177–182.
- Chai XS, Wang ZX, Chen PP, Wang LY, Lü XR, Kang B (1985) Anti-arrhythmic action of puerarin. Acta Pharmacol. Sin. 6: 166–168.
- Chen H, Chen F, Y-L Zhang, J-Y Song (1999) Production of lithospermic acid B and rosmarinic acid in hairy root cultures of Salvia miltiorrhiza. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 22: 133–138.
- Eddy AA (1989) Use of carbocyanine dyes to assay membrane potential of mouse ascites tumor cells. Meth. Enzymol. 172: 95–101.
- Hartmann T, Toppel G (1987) Senecionine N-oxide, the primary product of pyrrolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis in root cultures of Senecio vulgaris. Phytochemistry 26: 1639–1643. CrossRef
- Konstas J, Kintzios S (2003) Developing a scale-up system for the micropropagation of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.): the effect of growth retardants, liquid culture and vessel size. Plant Cell Rep. 21: 538–548.
- Murashige T, Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue culture. Physiologia Plant. 15: 473–479.
- Shi HP, Kintzios S (2003) Genetic transformation of Pueraria phaseoloides with Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Plant Cell Rep. 21: 1103–1107.
- Song XP, Chen PP, Chai XS (1988) Effects of puerarin on blood pressure and plasma rennin activity in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Acta Pharmacol. Sin. 9: 55–58.
- Takeya K, Itokawa H (1982) Isoflavonoids and the other constituents in callus tissues of Pueraria lobata. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 30: 1496–1499.
- Veliky IA, Martin SM (1970) A fermenter for plant cell suspension cultures. Can J. Microbiol. 16: 223–226.
- Scale-up production of puerarin from hairy roots of Pueraria phaseoloides in an airlift bioreactor
Volume 26, Issue 13 , pp 1057-1059
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- airlift bioreactor
- Pueraria phaseoloides
- transformed roots
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Plant Physiology, Faculty of Agricultural Biotechnology, Agricultural, University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece
- 2. College of Life Science, South China Normal University, 510631, Guangzhou, P.R. China
- 3. Laboratory of Floriculture, Aristotle University, 54006, Thessaloniki, Greece