Utilization of Nitrite as a Nitrogen Source by Botryococcus Braunii
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nitrite at 2 mm did not affect the growth of Botryococcus brauniiand served as the sole nitrogen source giving a minimum biomass doubling time of 4.2 d, which was equal to that of the culture using 4 mm nitrate as nitrogen source. With nitrite at 4 mm, after a lag phase of about 10 d, the alga grew quickly, reaching 1.1 g l−1 at the end. Respective nitrite removals were 100% and 99.7%. There were few differences in the hydrocarbons produced using different nitrogen sources.
- Banerjee A, Sharma R, Chisti Y, Banerjee UC (2002) Botryococcus braunii: a renewal source of hydrocarbons and other chemicals. Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 22: 245–279.
- Brown LM (1996) Uptake of carbon dioxide from flue gas by microalgae. Energ. Convers. Manage. 37: 1363–1367.
- Matsumoto H, Hamasaki A, Sioji N (1997) Influence of CO2, SO2 and NO in flue gas on microalgae productivity. J. Chem. Eng. Japan 30: 620–624.
- Rand MC, Arnold E, Michael J (1975) Nitrogen (nitrite). In: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 14th edn. Washington: American Public Health Association, pp. 434–436.
- Richards FA, Thomson TG (1952) The estimation and characterization of plankton production by pigment analysis. II. A spectrophotometric method for the estimation of plankton pigments. J. Mar. Res. 11: 156–172.
- Sim SJ, An JY, Kim BY (2001) Two-phase extraction culture of Botryococcus braunii producing long-chain unsaturated hydrocarbons. Biotechnol. Lett. 23: 201–205.
- Sorokin C (1973) Culture methods and growth measurements. In: Stein JR, ed. Handbook of Phycological Methods. London: Cambridge University Press, pp. 321–343.
- Takumi O, Kazuyuki H, Kiyomi K (2001) Standardization of nitric oxide aqueous solutions by modified Saltzman method. Nitric oxide: Biol. Chem. 5: 515–524.
- Tonegawa I, Okada S, Murahiro M, Yamaguchi K (1998) Pigment composition of the green microalga Botryococcus braunii Kawaguchi-1. Fish Sci. 64: 305–308.
- Wodzinski RS, Labeda DP, Alexander M (1977) Toxicity of SO2 and NOx: selective inhibition of blue-green algae by bisulfite and nitrite. J. Air Pollut. Control. Assoc. 27: 891–893.
- Yamaguchi K, Nakano H, Murakami M, Konosu S, Nakayama O, Kanda M, Nakamura A, Iwamoto H (1987) Lipid composition of a green alga, Botryococcus braunii. Agric. Biol. Chem. 51: 493–499.
- Yoshihara KI, Nagase H, Eguchi K, Hirata K, Miyamoto K (1996) Biological elimination of nitric oxide and carbon dioxide from flue gas by marine microalgae NOA-113 cultivated in along tubular photobioreactor. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 82: 9351–9354.
- Zhang WH (2000) Determination of MDA content in plant tissue. In: Li HS, ed. Principles and Techniques of Plant Physiological Biochemcal Experiment. Beijing: Higher Education Press, pp. 260–261, ISBN 7-04-008076-1.
- Utilization of Nitrite as a Nitrogen Source by Botryococcus Braunii
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 239-243
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Botryococcus braunii
- Industry Sectors