Methodology for using a universal primer to label amplified DNA segments for molecular analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Detection of human DNA polymorphisms using high throughput methods often relies on generating a labeled DNA fragment which is generated by PCR using sequence-specific primers with an end labeled tag to detect a variant. The disadvantage of the synthesis of an end-labeled, sequence-specific primer to assay each DNA variant lies in the costs and time consume. In this report, we have demonstrated a methodology that can generate labeled DNA fragments using a labeled universal primer instead of requiring sequence-specific primers for each DNA variant.
- Fakhrai-Rad H, Pourmand N, Ronaghi M (2002) Pyrosequencing: an accurate detection platform for single nucleotide polymorphisms. Hum. Mutat. 19: 479–485.
- Guo D-c, Hasham S, Kuang SQ, Vaughan CJ, Boerwinkle E, Chen H, Abuelo D, Dietz HC, Basson CT, Shete SS, Milewicz DM (2001) Familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections: genetic heterogeneity with a major locus mapping to 5q13-14. Circulation 103: 2461–2468.
- Guo D-c, Qi Y, He R, Gupta P, Milewicz DM (2003) High throughput detection of small genomic insertions or deletions by Pyrosequencing. Biotechnol. Lett. 25: 1703–1707.
- Harper JC, Wells D (1999) Recent advances and future developments in PGD. Prenat. Diagn. 19: 1193–1199.
- Izmailov A, Yager TD, Zaleski H, Darash S (2001) Improvement of base-calling in multilane automated DNA sequencing by use of electrophoretic calibration standards, data linearization, and trace alignment. Electrophoresis 22: 1906–1914.
- Myakishev MV, Khripin Y, Hu S, Hamer DH (2001) High-throughput SNP genotyping by allele-specific PCR with universal energy-transfer-labeled primers. Genome Res. 11: 163–169.
- Olsvik O, Rimstad E, Hornes E, Strockbine N, Wasteson Y, Lund A, Wachsmuth K (1991) A nested PCR followed by magnetic separation of amplified fragments for detection of Escherichia coli Shiga-like toxin genes. Mol. Cell Probes 5: 429–435.
- Ronaghi M (2001) Pyrosequencing sheds light on DNA sequencing. Genome Res. 11: 3–11.
- Schuelke M (2000) An economic method for the fluorescent labeling of PCR fragments. Nat. Biotechnol. 18: 233–234.
- Wiest JS, Franklin WA, Drabkin H, Gemmill R, Sidransky D, Anderson MW (1997) Genetic markers for early detection of lung cancer and outcome measures for response to chemoprevention. J. Cell Biochem. Suppl. 28–29: 64–73.
- Wilson RK, Chen C, Hood L (1990) Optimization of asymmetric polymerase chain reaction for rapid fluorescent DNA sequencing. Biotechniques 8: 184–189.
- Methodology for using a universal primer to label amplified DNA segments for molecular analysis
Volume 25, Issue 24 , pp 2079-2083
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- biotin-labeled primer
- fluorescently labeled primer
- universal primer
- Industry Sectors