Distinct Genes Produce the Alcohol Dehydrogenases of Pollen and Maternal Tissues in Petunia hybrida
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Analysis of cDNA clones derived from hypoxic root mRNA of Petunia hybrida has revealed the existence of a third active gene encoding alcohol dehydrogenase in petunia. A combination of RT-PCR and ADH activity gels provide evidence for the selective tissue-specific expression of these three genes in multiple floral organs and hypoxically stressed roots. Expression of adh 1 in the plant appears to be restricted to immature pollen grains; the other two genes are expressed differentially in maternal anther tissues, stigma, petals, and hypoxic root. This work underscores the utility of RT-PCR for distinguishing expression patterns of closely related genes, clarifies the expression patterns exhibited by members of this gene family, and suggests multiple functions for the adh genes of petunia.
- Bucher, M., Brander, K. A., Sbicego, S., Mandel, T., and Kuhlemeier, C. (1995). Aerobic fermentation in tobacco pollen. Plant Mol. Biol. 28:739–750.
- Foster-Atkinson, E. (1996). Alcohol Dehydrogenase Gene Expression in Petunia, PhD Dissertation, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- Freeling, M., and Schwartz, D. (1973). Genetic relationships between the multiple alcohol dehydrogenases of maize. Biochem. Genet. 8:27–37.
- Garabagi, F., and Strommer, J. (2000). Green fluorescent protein as an all-purpose reporter in petunia. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 18:219–226.
- Gregerson, R., McLean, M., Beld, M., Gerats, A. G. M., and Strommer, J. (1991). Structure, expression, chromosomal location and product of the gene encodingADH1in Petunia. Plant Mol. Biol. 17:37–48.
- Gregerson, R. G., Cameron, L., McLean, M., Dennis, P., and Strommer, J. (1993). Structure, expression, chromosomal location and product of the gene encoding ADH2 in petunia. Genetics 133:999–1007.
- Hageman, R. H., and Flesher, D. (1960). The effect of an anaerobic environment on the activity of alcohol dehydrogenase and other enzymes of corn seedlings. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 87:203–209.
- Ingersoll, J. C., Rothenberg, M., Liedl, B. E., Folkerts, K., Garvin, D., Hanson, M. R., Doyle, J. J., and Mutschler, M. A. (1994). A novel anther-expressed adh-homologue gene in Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant Mol. Biol. 26:1875–1891.
- Krebs, H. A. (1972). The Pasteur effect and the relations between respiration and fermentation. In Campbell, P. N., and Dickens, F. (eds.), Essays in Biochemistry, Vol. 8, Academic Press, London.
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F., and Maniatis, T. (1989). Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd edn., Cold Spring Harbor Press, New York.
- Strommer, J., Gerats, A. G. M., Sanago, M., and Molnar, S. J. (2000). A gene-based RFLP map of petunia. Theor. Appl. Genet. 100:899–905.
- Tadege, M., Dupuis, I., and Kuhlemeier, C. (1999). Ethanolic fermentation: New functions for an old pathway. Trends Plant Sci. 4:1360–1365.
- Tadege, M., and Kuhlemeier, C. (1997). Aerobic fermentation during tobacco pollen development. Plant Mol. Biol. 35:343–354.
- Tanksley, S. D. (1979). Linkage, chromosomal association and expression of adh-1and pgm-2in tomato. Biochem. Genet. 17:1159–1167.
- Tanskley, S. D., and Jones, R. A. (1981). Effects of O2 stress on tomato alcohol dehydrogenase activity: Description of a second ADH-encoding gene. Biochem. Genet. 19:397–409.
- Van Der Straeten, D., Rodrigues Pousada, R. A., Gielen, J., and Van Montagu, M. (1991). Tomato alcohol dehydrogenase: Expression during fruit ripening and under hypoxic conditions. FEBS Lett. 295:39–42.
- Zhang, M., Nagata, S., Miyazawa, K., Kikuchi, H., and Esashi,Y. (1997).Acompetitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay to quantify acetaldehyde-protein adducts that accumulate in dry seed during ageing. Plant Physiol. 113:397–402.
- Distinct Genes Produce the Alcohol Dehydrogenases of Pollen and Maternal Tissues in Petunia hybrida
Volume 42, Issue 5-6 , pp 199-208
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- alcohol dehydrogenase
- gene family