Roles of Different Types of Excretions in Mediated Communication by Scent Marks of the Common Palm Civet, Paradoxurus hermaphroditus Pallas, 1777 (Mammalia, Carnivora)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We studied scent-marking behavior, olfactory response to various excretions (secretion of the perineal gland, urine, and feces), as well as the information content of these excretions in the common palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus Pallas, 1777). Six forms of scent-marking behavior have been described. The activity and proportion of forms of such behavior differ in males and females. Dragging the perineal gland and leaving the secretion on the substrate was most commonly observed in the animals of both sexes. The olfactory response of the palm civet varied in duration and depended both on animal sex and excretion type. The palm civet could distinguish animal species, sex, and familiar/unfamiliar individuals by the odor of the perineal gland secretion. Differences in the olfactory response of the palm civet to feces was observed only if they belonged to different species. The scent marks of the perineal gland were most significant in mediated communication by scent marks of the palm civet; they completely replicated the information of the urine marks.
- Kleiman, D.G., Scent Marking in the Binturong, Arctictis binturong, J. Mammal., 1974, vol. 55, no.1, pp. 224–227.
- Korytin, S.A. and Azbukina, M.D., Data on the Olfactory Behavior of Mammals, Tr. Vses. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Okhoty Zverovod. (Kirov), 1975, no. 25, pp. 65–74.
- Korytin, S.A. and Azbukina, M.D., Seasonal Changes in the Acuteness of Olfaction in Mammals and the Effect of Training of the Olfactory Analyzer on This Parameter, in Khimicheskaya kommunikatsiya zhivotnykh. Teoriya i praktika (Chemical Communication in Mammals: Theory and Practice), Moscow: Nauka, 1986, pp. 287–294.
- Lakin, G.F., Biometriya (Biometrics), Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola, 1990.
- Pocock, R.I., On the Feet and Glands and Other External Characters of the Paradoxurinae Genera Paradoxurus, Arctictis, Arctogalidia and Nandinia, Proc. Zool. Soc. London, 1915, vol. 4, pp. 384–412.
- Roeder, J.-J., Marking Behaviour in Genets (Genetta genetta L.): Seasonal Variations and Relation to Social Status in Males, Behaviour, 1978, vol. 67, no.3–4, pp. 149–156.
- Roeder, J.-J., Marking Behaviour and Olfactory Recognition in Genets (Genetta genetta L., Carnivora, Viverridae), Behaviour, 1980, vol. 72, no.3–4, pp. 200–210.
- Roeder, J.-J., Memorisation des marques olfactives chez la genette (Genetta genetta L.): Duree de reconnaissance par les femelles de marques olfactive de males, Z. Tierpsychol., 1983, vol. 61, no.3, pp. 311–314.
- Rozhnov, V.V., Role of Anal Gland Secretion in Chemical Communication of the American Mink, Perv. Vsesoyuz. soveshch. po khimicheskoi kommunikatsii zhivotnykh. Tez. dokl. (Abstr. First All-Union Conf. on Chemical Communication in Mammals), Moscow: Vses. Akad. Sel'skokhoz. Nauk, 1979, pp. 155–157.
- Rozhnov, V.V., The Marking Behavior of Mammals, Itogi Nauki Tekh., Ser.: Zool. Pozvonochnykh, Moscow: VINITI, 1988, vol. 15, pp. 152–211.
- Rozhnov, V.V., Notes on the Behaviour and Ecology of the Binturong (Arctictis binturong) In Vietnam, Small Carnivore Conservation, 1994, no. 10, pp. 4–5.
- Rozhnov, V.V. and Rogoschik, B., The Ability of the River Otter (Lutra lutra L.) to Distinguish Fresh Scent Marks and Longevity of Conserved Scent Mark Information, Lutreola, 1994, no. 3, pp. 5–9.
- Rozhnov, V.V. and Rozhnov, Yu.V., On Chemical Communication in Paradoxurus hermaphroditus (Mammalia, Carnivora), Zool. Zh., 1998, vol. 77, no.9, pp. 1032–1041.
- Rozhnov, V.V., Kuznetsov, G.V., Neklyudova, T.I., Pham Trong Anh, and Chan Van Dyk, Ecological and Ethological Observations on Arboreal Viverrid Species in Vietnam, in Zoologicheskie issledovaniya vo V'etname (Zoological Investigations in Vietnam), Moscow: Nauka, 1992, pp. 132–148.
- Sokolov, V.E. and Neklyudova, T.I., Morphology of the Skin and Specific Skin Glands of Some Vietnamese Viverrids, in Ekologo-funktsional'naya morfologiya kozhnogo pokrova mlekopitayushchikh (Ecological and Functional Morphology of the Mammalian Skin), Moscow: Nauka, 1988, pp. 4–62.
- Sokolov, V.E. and Rozhnov, V.V., Information Content of Scent Marks in Mustelids: Urine and Feces of the Polecat and American Mink, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1983, vol. 269, no.1, pp. 238–241.
- Sokolov, V.E. and Rozhnov, V.V., Variability of Response to Olfactory Signals of Individuals of Different Sexes and Species in the Polecat, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Biol., 1989, no. 1, pp. 5–10.
- Xu, H. and Sheng, H., Reproductive Behaviour of the Small Indian Civet (Viverricula indica), Small Carnivore Conservation, 1994, no. 11, pp. 13–15.
- Zaitsev, G.N., Metodika biometricheskikh raschetov. Matematicheskaya statistika v eksperimental'noi botanike (Methods of Biometric Calculations: Mathematical Statistics in Experimental Botany), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.
- Roles of Different Types of Excretions in Mediated Communication by Scent Marks of the Common Palm Civet, Paradoxurus hermaphroditus Pallas, 1777 (Mammalia, Carnivora)
Biology Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Volume 30, Issue 6 , pp 584-590
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors