Constraint Programming and Hybrid Formulations for Three Life Designs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Conway's game of Life provides an interesting testbed for exploring issues in formulation, symmetry, and optimization with constraint programming and hybrid constraint programming/integer programming methods. We consider three Life pattern-creation problems: finding maximum density still-Lifes, finding smallest immediate predecessor patterns, and finding period-2 oscillators. For the first two problems, integrating integer programming and constraint programming approaches provides a much better solution procedure than either individually. For the final problem, the constraint programming formulation provides the better approach.
- Berlekamp, E.R., J.H. Conway, and R.K. Guy. (1982). Winning Ways for Your Mathematical Plays,Vol.2: Games in Particular. London: Academic Press.
- Bosch, R.A. (1999). “Integer Programming and Conway's Game of Life.” SIAM Review 41(3), 594–604.
- Bosch, R.A. (2000). “Maximum Density Stable Patterns in Variants of Conway's Game of Life.” Operations Research Letters 27(1), 7–11.
- Buckingham, D.J. and P.B. Callahan. (1998). “Tight Bounds of Periodic Cell Configurations in Life.” Experimental Mathematics 7(3), 221–241.
- Callahan, P. (2001). Random Still Life Generator, http://www.radicaleye.com/lifepage/ stilledit.html.
- Cook, M. (2001). Still Life Theory, http://paradise.caltech.edu/~cook/Workshop/CAs/ 2DOutTot/Life/StillLife/StillLifeTheory.html.
- Elkies, N.D. (1998). “The Still-Life Density Problem and Its Generalizations.” In P. Engel and H. Syta (eds.), Voronoi's Impact on Modern Science, Book 1. Kyiv: Institute of Mathematics.
- Gardner, M. (1970). “The Fantastic Combinations of John Conway's New Solitaire Game “Life”.” Scientific American 223, 120–123.
- Gardner, M. (1971). “On Cellular Automata, Self-Reproduction, the Garden of Eden and the Game “Life”.” Scientific American 224, 112–117.
- Gardner, M. (1983). Wheels, Life, and Other Mathematical Amusements. New York: W.H. Freeman.
- Niemiec, M.D. (2001). Mark D.Niemiec's Life Page, http://home.interserv.com/~mniemiec/ lifepage.htm.
- Smith, B.M. (2001). “Reducing Symmetry in a Combinatorial Design Problem.” In CP-AI-OR 2001,Wye College, Kent.
- Constraint Programming and Hybrid Formulations for Three Life Designs
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 130, Issue 1-4 , pp 41-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- integer programming
- constraint programming
- hybrid formulation
- cellular automata
- game of Life
- Industry Sectors