Solving Hierarchical Constraints over Finite Domains with Local Search
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Many real world problems have requirements and constraints which conflict with each other. One approach for dealing with such over-constrained problems is with constraint hierarchies. In the constraint hierarchy framework, constraints are classified into ranks, and appropriate solutions are selected using a comparator which takes into account the constraints and their ranks. In this paper, we present a local search solution to solving hierarchical constraint problems over finite domains (HCPs). This is an extension of local search for over-constrained integer programs WSAT(OIP) to constraint hierarchies and general finite domain constraints.
The motivation for this work arose from solving large airport gate allocation problems. We show how gate allocation problems can be formulated as HCPs using typical gate allocation constraints. Using the gate allocation benchmarks, we investigate how constraint heirarchy selection strategies and the problem formulation using two models: a 0–1 linear constraint hierarchy model and a nonlinear finite domain constraint hierarchy model.
- S. Bistarelli, H. Fargier, U. Montanari, F. Rossi, T. Schies and G. Verfaille, Semiring-based CSPs and valued CSPs: Basic properties and comparison, in:  pp. 111–150.
- A. Borning, B. Freeman-Benson and M. Wilson, Constraint hierarchies, Lisp and Symbolic Computation 5 (1992) 223–270.
- Y. Cheng, A rule-based reactive model for the simulation of aircraft on airport gates, Knowledge-Based Systems 10(4) (1998) 225–236.
- E. Freuder and R. Wallace, Partial constraint satisfaction, in:  pp. 63–110.
- A. Haghani and M.-C. Chen, Optimizing gate assignments at airport terminals, Transportation Research 32(6) (1998) 437–454.
- M. Henz, Scheduling a major college basketball conference (revisited), Operations Research 49(1) (2001).
- M. Jampel, E. Freuder and M. Maher (eds.), Over-Constrained Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1106 (Springer, 1996).
- D. McAllester, B. Selman and H. Kautz, Evidence for invariants in local search, in: Proceedings Fourteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-97) (1997).
- G.L. Nemhauser and M.A. Trick, Scheduling a major college basketball conference, Operations Research 46(1) (1998) 1–8.
- B. Selman, H. Kautz and B. Cohen, Noise strategies for improving local search, in: Proceedings of AAAI-94 (1994) pp. 337–343.
- J.P. Walser, Solving linear pseudo-Boolean constraint problems with local search, in: Proceedings of the 14th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence and 9th Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference (AAAI-97/IAAI-97) (AAAI Press, Providence, RI, 1997) pp. 269–274.
- J.P. Walser, Domain-independent local search for linear integer optimization, Ph.D. Thesis, Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany (1998).
- J.P. Walser, Integer Optimization by Local Search, a Domain-Independent Approach, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 1637 (Springer, 1999).
- M. Wilson and A. Borning, Hierarchical constraint logic programming, Journal of Logic Programming 16(3/4) (1993) 277–319.
- Solving Hierarchical Constraints over Finite Domains with Local Search
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence
Volume 40, Issue 3-4 , pp 283-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- hierarchical constraints
- finite domain constraints
- over-constrained problems
- airport gate allocation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Computing, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- 2. School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332-0205, USA
- 3. i2 Technologies, Munich, Germany
- 4. Motorola, Singapore