Sexual Risk Profile of Young Men in Vancouver, British Columbia, Who Have Sex with Men and Inject Drugs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We compared sexual risk behaviors of men who have sex with men and inject drugs (MSM/IDU) with those of other men who have sex with men (MSM). Of 910 MSM surveyed, 106 (12%) injected drugs in the previous year. MSM/IDU were younger than MSM and more likely to be HIV-seropositive, Aboriginal, economically disadvantaged, engaged in the trade of sex for money or drugs, and to report having female sexual partners. MSM/IDU reported more casual sexual partners and in multivariate analyses were twice as likely to report unprotected receptive anal intercourse with casual partners. These results, combined with those from previous analyses, suggest that the higher risk for HIV seroconversion among MSM/IDU in this cohort is attributable mainly to sexual rather than injection-related exposures. Controlled assessments are needed to identify optimal sexual risk reduction strategies for MSM/IDU.
- Battjes, R. J., Pickens, R. W., and Amsel, Z. (1989). Introduction of HIV infection among intravenous drug abusers in low prevalence areas. Journal of the Acquired IJ0 J1J2 J3J4, 2, 533-539.
- Bull, S. S., Piper, P., and Rietmeijer, C. (2002). Men who have sex with men and also inject drugs--Profiles of risk related to the synergy of sex and drug injection behaviors. Journal of Homosexuality, 42, 31-51.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2000). HIV/AIDS among men who have sex with men and inject drugs--United States, 1985–1998. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly RM0, 49, 465-470.
- Craib, K. J., Spittal, P. M., Wood, E., Laliberte, N., Hogg, R. S., Li, K., Heath, K., Tyndall, M. W., O';Shaughnessy, M. V., and Schechter, M. T. (2003). Risk factors for elevated HIV incidence among Aboriginal injection drug users in Vancouver. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 168, 19-24.
- Crofts, N., and Hay, M. (1991). Entry of human immunodeficiency virus infection into a population of injecting drug users, Victoria, 1990. Medical Journal of Australia, 155, 378-382.
- Crofts, N., Marcus, L., Meade, J., Sattler, G., Wallace, J., and Sharp, R. (1995). Determinants of HIV risk among men who have homosexual sex and inject drugs. AIDS Care, 7, 647-655.
- Deren, S., Estrada, A., Stark, M., Williams, M., and Goldstein, M. (1997). A multisite study of sexual orientation and injection drug use as predictors of HIV serostatus in out-of-treatment male drug users. Journal of the Acquired IJ0 J1J2 J3J4 J5J6 J7J8 J9ournal0, 15, 289-295.
- Deren, S., Stark, M., Rhodes, F., Siegal, H., Cottler, L., Wood, M., Kochems, L., Carlson, R., Falck, R., Rourke, K., Trotter, R., Weir, B., Goldstein, M. F., and Wright-De Aguero, L. (2001). Drug-using men who have sex with men: Sexual behaviours and sexual identities. Culture, Health and Sexuality, 3, 329-338.
- Diaz, T., Vlahov, D., Greenberg, B., Cuevas, Y., and Garfein, R. (2001). Sexual orientation and HIV infection prevalence among young Latino injection drug users in Harlem. Journal of Women';s Health and Gender-Based Medicine, 10, 371-380.
- Hagan, H. (2003). The relevance of attributable risk measures to HIV prevention planning. AIDS, 17, 911-913.
- Hogg, R., Weber, A., Chan, K., Martindale, S., Cook, D., Miller, M., and Craib K. (2001). Increasing incidence of HIV infections among young gay and bisexual men in Vancouver. AIDS, 15, 1321-1322.
- Koblin, B. A., Chesney, M. A., Husnik, M. J., Bozeman, S., Celum, C. L., Buchbinder, S., Mayer, K., McKirnan, D., Judson, F. N., Huang, J., Coates, T. J., and the EXPLORE Study Team. (2003). High-risk sexual behaviors among men who have sex with men in 6 US cities: Baseline data from the EXPLORE study. American Journal of Public HA0, 93, 926-932.
- Kral, A., Bluthenthal, R., Lorvick, J., Gee, L., Bacchetti, P., and Edlin, B. (2001). Sexual transmission of HIV-1 among injection drug users in San Francisco, USA: Risk factor analysis. Lancet, 357, 1397-1401.
- Landmann Szwarcwald, C., Bastos, F. I., and de Castilho, E. A. (1998). The dynamics of the AIDS epidemic in Brazil: A space-time analysis in the period 1987–1995. Brazilian Journal of Infectious DB0, 2, 175-186.
- Maslow, C. B., Friedman, S. R., Perlis, T. E., Rockwell, R., and Des Jarlais, D. C. (2002). Changes in HIV seroprevalence and related behaviors among male injection drug users who do and do not have sex with men: New York City, 1990–1999. American Journal of Public HA0, 92, 382-384.
- Nicolosi, A., Musicco, M., Saracco, A., Molinari, S., Ziliani, N., and Lazzarin, A. (1990). Incidence and risk factors of HIV infection: A prospective study of seronegative drug users from Milan and northern Italy, 1987–1989. Epidemiology, 1, 453-459.
- Rhodes, T., Stimson, G. V., Crofts, N., Ball, A., Dehne, K., and Khodakevich, L. (1999). Drug injecting, rapid HIV spread, and the 'risk environment': Implications for assessment and response. AIDS, 13(Supplement A), S259-S269.
- Ross, M. W., Wodak, A., Gold, J., and Miller, M. E. (1992). Differences across sexual orientation on HIV risk behaviours in injecting drug users. AIDS Care, 4, 139-148.
- Stall, R., Paul, J. P., Greenwood, G., Pollack, L. M., Bein, E., Crosby, G. M., Mills, T. C., Binson, D., Coates, T. J., and Catania, J. A. (2001). Alcohol use, drug use, and alcohol-related problems among men who have sex with men: The Urban Men';s Health Study. Addiction, 96, 1589-1601.
- Strathdee, S. A., Hogg, R. S., Martindale, S. L., Cornelisse, P. G. A., Craib, K. J. P., Montaner, J. S. G., O';Shaughnessy M. V., and Schechter M. T. (1998). Determinants of sexual risk-taking among young HIV-negative gay and bisexual men. Journal of Acquired Immune DJ0 J1J2 J3J4 J5J6 J7J8, 19, 61-66.
- Strathdee, S. A., Martindale, S. L., Cornelisse, P. G. A., Miller, M. L., Craib, K. J. P., and Schechter, M. T. (2000). HIV infectionand risk behaviours among young gay and bisexual men in Vancouver. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 162, 21-25.
- Strathdee, S. A., Galai, N., Safaiean, M., Celentano, D. D., Vlahov, D., Johnson, L., and Nelson, K. E. (2001). Sex differences in risk factors for HIV seroconversion among injection drug users. A 10 year perspective. Archives of Internal Medicine, 161, 1281-1288.
- van Ameijden, E. J., van den Hoek, J. A., van Haastrecht, H. J., and Coutinho, R. A. (1992). The harm reduction approach and risk factors for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) seroconversion in injecting drug users, Amsterdam. American Journal of Epidemiology, 136, 236-243.
- Weber, A. E., Chan, K., George, C., Hogg, R. S., Remis, R. S., Martindale, S., Otis, J., Miller, M. L., Vincelette, J., Craib, K. J., Masse, B., Schechter, M. T., LeClerc, R., Lavoie, R., Turmel, B., Parent, R., and Alary, M. (2001). Risk factors associated with HIV infection among young gay and bisexual men in Canada. Journal of the Acquired IJ0 J1J2 J3J4, 28, 81-88.
- Weber, A. E., Craib, K. J., Chan, K., Martindale, S., Miller, M. L., Cook, D. A., Schechter, M. T., and Hogg, R. S. (2003). Determinants of HIV serconversion in an era of increasing HIV infection among young gay and bisexual men. AIDS, 17, 774-777.
- Sexual Risk Profile of Young Men in Vancouver, British Columbia, Who Have Sex with Men and Inject Drugs
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 17-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Injection drug use
- gay/bisexual men
- sexual risk
- sex trade
- Industry Sectors