Microphytobenthos activity and fluxes at the sediment-water interface: interactions and spatial variability
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study oxygen and nutrient fluxes and denitrification rates across the sediment-water interface were measured via intact core incubations with a twofold aim: show whether microphytobenthos activity affects these processes and analyse the dispersion of replicate measurements. Eighteen intact sediment cores (i.d. 8 cm) were randomly sampled from a shallow microtidal brackish pond at Tjarno, on the west coast of Sweden, and were incubated in light and in darkness simulating in situ conditions. During incubation O2, inorganic N and SiO2 fluxes and denitrification rates (isotope pairing) were measured. Assuming mean values of 18 cores as best estimate of true average (BEA), the accuracy of O2, NH4 +, NO3 - and SiO2 fluxes calculated for an increasing number of subsamples was tested. At the investigated site, microalgae strongly influenced benthic O2, inorganic N and SiO2 fluxes and coupled (Dn) and uncoupled (Dw) denitrification through their photosynthetic activity. In the shift between dark and light conditions NH4 + and SiO2 effluxes (60 and 110 µmol m-2h-1) and Dn (5 µmol m-2 h-1) dropped to zero, NO3 - uptake (70 µmol m-2 h-1) showed a 30% increase, while Dw (20 µmol m-2 h-1) showed an 80% decrease. For O2 and NO3 - dark fluxes, 4 core replicates were sufficient to obtain averages within 5-10% of the best estimated mean, while 10-20% accuracy was obtained with 4-12 replicates for SiO2 and >10 replicates for NH4 + dark fluxes. Mean accuracy was considerably lower for all light incubations, probably due to the patchy distribution of the benthic microalgal community.
- Admiraal W. 1984. The ecology of estuarine sediment-inhabiting diatoms. Prog. Phycol. Res. 3: 269–322.
- Blanchard G. 1990. Overlapping microscale dispersion patterns of meiofauna and microphytobentos. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 68: 101–111.
- Boynton W.R. and Kemp W.M. 1985. Nutrient regeneration and oxygen consumption by sediments along an estuarine salinity gradient. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 23: 45–55.
- Bower C.E. and Holm-Hansen T. 1980. A salicylate-hypochlorite method for determining ammonia in seawater. Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 37: 794–798.
- Brzezinski M.A. 1985. The Si:C:N ratio of marine diatoms: interspecific variability and the effect of some environmental variables. J. Phycol. 21: 347–357.
- Dong L.F., Thornton D.C.O., Nedwell D.B. and Underwood G.J.C. 2000. Denitrification in sediments of the River Colne estuary, England. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 203: 109–122.
- Efron B. and Tibshirani R.J. 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman and Hall, New York, USA.
- Fleeger J. and Decho A. 1987. Spatial variability of interstitial meiofauna: a review. Stygologia 3: 35–54.
- Focht D.D. and Verstraete W. 1977. Biochemical ecology of nitrification and denitrification. Adv. Microbiol. Ecol. 1: 135–214.
- Glud R.N., Ramsing N.B. and Revsbech N.P. 1992. Photosynthesis and photosynthesis-coupled respiration in natural biofilms quantified with oxygen microsensors. J. Phycol. 28: 51–60.
- Golterman H.L., Clymo R.S. and Ohnstand M.A.M. 1978. Methods for Physical and Chemical Analysis of Fresh Waters. I.B.P. Handbook Nr. 8, Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 213 pp.
- Hall P.O. 1984. Chemical fluxes at the sediment-seawater interface; in-situ investigations with benthic chambers. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. Goteborg, Sweden, 183 pp.
- Kristensen E. 1988. Benthic fauna and biogeochemical processes in marine sediments: microbial activities and fluxes. In: Blackburn T.H. and Sorensen J. (eds), Nitrogen Cycling in Coastal Marine Environments. John Wiley Publ., New York, USA, pp. 275–299.
- Klump J. V. and Martens C. S. 1981. Biogeochemical cycling in an organic rich coastal marine basin-II. Nutrient sediment-water exchange processes. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 45: 101–121.
- Lerat Y., Lasserre P. and le Corre P. 1990. Seasonal changes in pore water concentrations of nutrients and their diffusive fluxes at the sediment-water interface. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 135: 135–160.
- Lorenzen J., Larsen L.H., Kjær T. and Revsbech N.P. 1998. Biosensor determination of the microscale distribution of nitrate, nitrate assimilation, nitrification and denitrification in a diatominhabited freshwater sediment. Appl. Environm. Microbiol., 64: 3264–3269.
- MacIntyre H.L., Geider R.J. and Miller D.C. 1996. Microphytobenthos: the ecological role of the “secret garden” of unvegetated shallow-water marine habitats. I. Distribution, abundance and primary production. Estuaries 19: 186–201
- Nielsen L. P., Christensen P.B., Revsbech N.P. and Sorensen J. 1990. Denitrification and photosynthesis in stream sediment studied with microsensor and whole-core techniques. Limnol. Oceanogr. 35: 1135–1144.
- Nielsen L.P. 1992. Denitrification in sediment determined from nitrogen isotope pairing. FEMS. Microbiol. Ecol. 86: 357–362.
- Reay W.G., Gallagher D.L. and Simmons G.M. 1995. Sediment-water column oxygen and nutrient fluxes in nearshore environments of the lower Delmarva Peninsula, USA. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 118: 215–227.
- Risgaard-Petersen N., Rysgaard S., Nielsen L.P. and Resvsbech N.P. 1994. Diurnal variation of denitrification and nitrification in sediments colonized by benthic microphytes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 39: 573–579.
- Rizzo W. 1990. Nutrient exchanges between the water column and a subtidal benthic microalgal community. Estuaries 13: 219–226.
- Rysgaard S., Christensen P.B. and Nielsen L.P. 1995. Seasonal variation in nitrification and denitrification in estuarine sediment colonized by benthic microalgae and bioturbating infauna. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 126: 111–121.
- Revsbech N.P., Jørgensen B.B. and Brix O. 1981. Primary production of microalgae in sediments measured by oxygen microprofile, H14CO 3 - fixation and oxygen exchange methods. Limnol. Oceanogr. 26: 717–730.
- Sandulli R. and Pinckney J. 1999. Patch sizes and spatial patterns of meiobenthic copepods and benthic microalgae in sandy sediments: a microscale approach. J. Sea Res. 41: 179–187.
- Sfriso A., Raccanelli S., Pavoni B. and Marcomini A. 1991. Sampling strategies for measuring macroalgal biomass in the shallow waters of the Venice Lagoon. Environm. Technol. 12: 263–269.
- Strickland J.D. and Parsons T.R. 1972. A Practical Handbook of Seawater Analysis, 2nd ed. Bulletin of Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 167 pp.
- Sundbäck K. and Granéli W. 1988. Influence of microphytobenthos on the nutrient flux between sediment and water: a laboratory study. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 43: 63–69.
- Sundbäck K., Enoksson V., Granéli W. and Pettersson K. 1991. Influence of sublittoral microphytobenthos on the oxygen and nutrient flux between sediment and water: a laboratory continuous-flow study. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 74: 263–279.
- Sundbäck K., Miles A. and Göransson E. 2000. Nitrogen fluxes, denitrification and the role of microphytobenthos in microtidal shallow-water sediments: an annual study. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 200: 59–76.
- Valderrama J.C. 1977. Methods used by the Hydrographic Department of National Board of Fisheries, Sweden. In: Grasshof K. (ed.), Report of the Baltic Intercalibration Workshop. Annex, Interim Commission for the Protection of the Environment of the Baltic Sea, pp. 13–40.
- Whitaker T.M. and Richardson M.G. 1980. Morphology and chemical composition of a natural population of an ice-associated Antartic diatom Navicula glaciei. J. Phycol. 16: 250–257.
- Wilken M., Anton K.K. and Liebezeit G. 1990. Porewater chemistry of inorganic nitrogen compounds in the eastern Skagerrak (NE North Sea). Hydrobiologia 207: 179–186.
- Wiltshire K.H. 1992. The influence of microphytobenthos on oxygen and nutrient fluxes between eulittoral sediments and associated water phases in the Elbe Estuary. In: Colombo G., Ferrari I., Ceccherelli V.U. and Rossi R. (eds), Marine Eutrophication and Population Dynamics. Olsen and Olsen, Fredensborg, pp. 63–70.
- Microphytobenthos activity and fluxes at the sediment-water interface: interactions and spatial variability
Volume 37, Issue 4 , pp 341-349
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Benthic diatoms
- Core incubation
- Inorganic N and Si fluxes at the interface
- Spatial variability