The Effects of a Coping Skills Training Program on the Coping Skills, Hopelessness, and Stress Levels of Mothers of Children with Autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study is to explore the effects of a coping skills training program on stress, and hopelessness levels and coping skills of mothers of children with autism the age range of children was 12–19 for the experimental group and 11–17 for the control group. Twenty mothers of children with autism were assigned to a treatment group and a no treatment control group. A pre-test- post-test no-treatment control group design was undertaken. After completion of the program, interviews were conducted with the mothers in the experimental group to get some qualitative data about the effectiveness of the program. The results revealed differences in hopelessness levels and the use of social support as a coping strategy; however, there was no significant difference in the use of avoidance and problem solving as a coping strategy and stress levels of mothers. Moreover, the interviews conducted with mothers indicated a positive effect of the program on the mothers of children with autism. The generalization of the results is limited as the sample consisted of ten mothers and long-term follow-up data were not collected.
- Akkök, F. (1989). Özürlü bir çocuğa sahip anne babalarin kaygive endişe düzeyini ölçme aracinin güvenirlik ve geçerlik çalimasi(The reliability and validity study of the stress instrument for parents of handicapped children). Turkish Journal of Psychology, 7 ,26–38.
- Aksaz, N. K. (1992).Bilgi verici danişmanliğin otistik çocuğu olan anne babalarin kaygi düzylerine etkisi(The effect of informative counseling on anxiety levels of parents of children with autism). Unpublished master's thesis,Ankara University Graduate School of Social Sciences, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Amirkhan, J. H. (1990). A factor analytically derived measure of coping: The coping strategy indicator. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 59 ,1066–1074.
- Aysan, F. (1994). Başaçikma stratejisi ölçeğinin üniversite öğrencileri için geçerliliği, güvenirliliği(The reliability and validity of coping strategy indicator for university students). The Proceedings of the Educational Sciences Conference, April 28-30,ç ukurova University, Adana, Turkey,Vol. 3, pp. 1158–1169.
- Beck, A. T., Lester, L., & Trexler, L. (1974). The Hopelessness Scale. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 42 ,861–874.
- Beresford, B. A. (1994). Resources and strategies: How parents cope with the care of a disabled child. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 35 ,171–209.
- Blacher, J., Shapiro, J., Lopez, S., Diaz, L., & Fusco, J. (1997). Depression in Latina mothers of children with mental retardation: A neglected concern. American Journal of Mental Retardation, 101 ,483–496.
- Button, S., Pianta, R. C., & Marvin, R. S. (2001). Partner support and maternal stress in families raising young children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 13 ,61–81.
- Chang, E., & Strunk, D. R. (1999). Dsyporia: Relations to appraisals, coping and adjustment. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 46 ,99–108.
- Chen, T. Y., & Tang, C. S. (1997). Stress appraisal and social support of Chinese mothers of adult children with mental retardation. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 101 ,473–482.
- Davis, H., & Rushton, R. (1991). Counselling and supporting parents of children with developmental delay: A research evaluation. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 35 ,89–112.
- Dixon, W. A., Heppner, P. P.,& Anderson, W. P. (1991). Problem solving appraisal, stress, hopelessness, and suicide ideation in a college population. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 38 ,51–56.
- Dunn, M. E., Burbine, T., Bowers, C. A., & Dunn, S. T. (2001). Moderators of stress in parents of children with autism. Community Mental Health Journal, 37 ,39–51.
- Dyson, L. L. (1993). Response to the presence of a child with disabilities: Parental stress and family functioning over the time. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 98 ,207–218.
- Dyson, L. L. (1997). Fathers and mothers of school-age children with developmental disabilities: Parental stress, family functioning, and social support. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 102 ,267–279.
- Feigin, R., & Peled, M. (1998). Intervention with groups of parents of preschool children with hearing loss. Volta Review, 100 ,19–28.
- Gammon, E. A., & Rose, S. D. (1991). The coping skills training programs for parents of children with developmental disabilities: An experimental evaluation. Research on Social Work Practice, 1 ,244–257.
- Gökeşmeoğlu, N. (1995). Çocuk kanserlerinde anne ve babalarin kaygi, depresyon ve umutsuzluk düzeyleri(The anxiety, depression and hopelessness levels of parents of children with cancer). Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Gazi University Graduate School of Social Sciences, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Heller, T., Hsieh, K., & Rowitz L. (1997). Maternal and paternal caregiving of persons with mental retardation across the lifespan. Family Relations, 46 ,407–415.
- Holroyd, J. (1987). The questionnaire on resources and stress:Aninstrument to measure family response to a handicapped family member. Journal of Community Psychology, 2 ,92–94.
- Hornby, G., & Singh, N. N. (1984). Behavioural group training with parents of mentally retarded children. Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 28 ,43–52.
- Innocenti, M. S., Huh, K., & Boyce, G. C. (1992). Families of children with disabilities: Normative data and other considerations on parenting stress. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 12 ,403–427.
- Kesgin, G. T. (1998). Grup rehberliğinin kronik asti mli çocuğu olan ebeveynlerin stresle başa çi kmalari üzerindeki etkisine yönelik deneysel bir çalişma(An experimental study about the effects of group guidance on coping of parents of children with asthma) Unpublished master's thesis, Ç ukurove Üniversitesi, Adana, Turkey.
- Konstantareas, M. M., & Homatidis, S. (1992). Mothers' and fathers' self-report of involvement with autistic, mentally delayed, and normal children. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 54 ,153–165.
- Kutlu, M. (1998). Özürlü çocuğu olan ana-babalarin umutsuzluk düzeyleri. (The hopelessness levels of parents of children with disabilities). Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ondokuz Mayis Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Samsun, Turkey.
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal and coping.New York: Springer.
- Minnes, P. M. (1988). Family resources and stress associated with having a mentally retarded child. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 93 ,184–192.
- Morgan, S. B. (1988). The autistic child and family functioning: A developmental-family systems perspective. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18 ,263–280.
- Phillips, M. (1991). Chronic sorrow in mothers of chronically ill and disabled children. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 14 ,111–120.
- Rodrigue, J. R., Morgan, S. B., & Geffken, G. (1990). Families of autistic children: Psychological functioning of mothers. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 19,371–379.
- Ryde-Brandt, B. (1990). Anxiety and defense strategies in mothers of children with different disabilities. British Journal of Medical Psychology, 63 ,183–192.
- Sanders, J. L., & Morgan, S. B. (1997). Family stress and adjustment as perceived by parents of children with autism or Down syndrome: For intervention. Child and Family Behavior Therapy, 19(4), 15–32.
- Seber, G. (1991). Beck Umutsuzluk Ölçeğinin Geçerliliği ve güvenirliliği üzerine bir çalişma(The validity and reliability of Beck Hopelessness Scale). Unpublished thesis, Anadolu University Medical School, Anadolu University, Eskişehir, Turkey.
- Sezgin, S.Ş. (1997). Thalassemia Majörlü çocuğu olan ailelerin umutsuzluk ve depresyon durumlarinin incelenmesi(The hopelessness levels of parent of children with Thalassemia Major). Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ege University Medical Sciences Institute, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey.
- Singer, G. H. S., Irvin, L. K.,& Hawkins, N. (1988). Stress management training for parents of children with severe handicaps. Mental Retardation, 26 ,269–277.
- Tunali, B., & Power, T. G. (1993). Creating satisfaction: A psychological perspective on stress and coping in families of handicapped children. Journal of Child Psychiatry, 34 ,945–957.
- Zeitlin, S., Williamson, G. G., & Rosenblatt, W. P. (1987). The coping with stress model: A counseling approach for families with a handicapped child. Journal of Counseling and Development, 65 ,443–446.
- The Effects of a Coping Skills Training Program on the Coping Skills, Hopelessness, and Stress Levels of Mothers of Children with Autism
International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 257-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- mothering autistic children
- coping skills training program