Cytokine Responses of Human Blood Monocytes Stimulated with Igs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using an in vitro system for stimulating human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) with immobilized Ig, patterns of cytokine production as a function of different Ig classes and subclasses were elucidated. Wells were coated with IgA, IgG1, IgG2, IgG3 or IgG4. Equivalent protein content on surfaces of wells was demonstrated by a human kappa chain ELISA. Isolated human PBMC were added to Ig-coated wells and incubated for 24 hrs before supernatants were assayed for cytokines. The IgG subclasses showed differences in cytokine production stimulated from PBMC, with the relative stimulation for TNFα being IgG2 ≥ IgG3 ≥ IgG1 > IgG4 and for IL-6 production, IgG2 ≥ IgG3 > IgG1 = IgG4. In contrast, the relative stimulation for IL-8 was IgG1 = IgG2 = IgG3 = IgG4. IgA caused less production of TNFα when compared to IgG2, but similar levels of IL-8. Such differences may have important implications in the pathogenesis of immune complex mediated diseases.
- DRAY, S. 1960. Three gamma-globulins in norman serum revealed by monkey precipitins. Science 132:1313–1320.
- TERRY, W. D., and J. L. FAHEY. 1964. Subclasses of human gamma 2-globulin based on differences in the heavy polypeptide chains. Science 146:400–408.
- GREY, H. M., and H. G. KUNKEL. 1964. H chain subgroups of myeloma proteins and normal 72 gamma-globulin. J. Exp. Med. 120:253–260.
- SCHUR, P. H. 1987. IgG subclasses A review. Annals of Allergy 58:89–96.
- SIBER, G. R., P. H. SCHUR, A. C. AISENBURG, S. A. WEITZMAN. and G. SCHIFFMAN. 1980. Correlation between serum lgG2 concentrations and the antibody response to bacterial polysaccharide antigens. NEJM 303:178–182.
- HEINER, D. C. 1984. Significance of Immunoglobulin G Subclasses. Am. J. Med. 76:1–6.
- URBANEK, R. 1988. IgG subclasses and subclass distribution in allergic disorders. In Monographs in Allergy, Vol. 23. F. Skavril, A. Morell, B. Perret. editors. Karger, Basel. CH. 33–40.
- NUSSLEIN, H. G., M. WINTER, T. TRAG, and J. R. KALDEN. 1991. Interleukin-4-induccd IgG subclass and IgE secretion by mononuclear cells from atopic donors. Int. Arch. Allergy Appl Immunol. 95:257–260.
- PHILIPSEN, E. K., S. BONDESEN, J. ANDERSEN. and S. LARSEN. 1995. Serum immunoglobulin G subclasses in patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease of different disease activities. Scan. J. of Gastroenterol. 30 (l):50–53.
- SCOTT, M. G., M. H. NAHM, G. S. NASH, M. J. BERTOVICH, and R. P. MACDERMOTT. 1986. Spontaneous secretion of IgG subclasses by intestinal mononuclear cells: differences between ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and controls. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 66:209–215.
- TOKANO, Y., M. YASUMA, S. HARADA. Y. TAKASAKI, H. HASHIMOTO, K. OKUMURA, and S. HIROSE. 1991. Clinical significance of IgG subclasses of anti-Sm and Ul ribonucleoprotein antibodies in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and mixed connective tissue disorders. J. of Clin. Immunol. 11:317–325.
- PATRY, C., A. HERBELIN, A. LEHUEN, J. F. BACH, and R. C. MONTEIRO. 1995. Fcα receptors mediate release of tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin-6 by human monocytes following receptor aggregation. Immunol. 86:1–5.
- DE FORGE, L. E., A. M. PRESTON, E. TAKEUCHI, J. KENNEY, L. A. BOXER, and D. G. REMICK. 1993. Regulation of interleukin 8 gene expression by oxidant stress. J. Biol. Chem. 268:25568–25576.
- DE FORGE, L. E., and D. G. REMICK. 1991. Sandwich ELISA for detection of picogram quantities of IL-8. Immunol. Invest. 20:89–97.
- AARDEN, L., P. LANSDROP, and E. DE GROOT. 1985. A growth factor for B cell hybridomas produced by human monocytes. Lymphokines 1:175–185.
- EVANOFF, H., M. D. BURDICK, S. A. MOORE, S. L. KUNKEL., and R. M. STRIETER. 1992. A sensitive ELISA for the detection of human monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1). Immunol. Invest. 21:39–45.
- SHEN, L., P. M. GUYRE, C. L. ANDERSON, and M. W. FANGER. 1986. Heteroantibody-mediated cytotoxicity: Antibody to the high affinity Fc receptor for IgG mediated cytotoxicity by human monocytes that is enhanced by interferon-γ and is not blocked by human IgG. J. of Immunol. 137:3378–3382.
- VAN DE WINKEL, J. G. J., and C. L. ANDERSON. 1991. Biology of human immunoglobulin G Fc receptors. J. of Leukoc. Biol. 49:511–524.
- WALLACE, P. K., A. L. HOWELL, and M. W. FANGER. 1994. Role of Fcγ receptors in cancer and infectious disease. J. Leukoc. Biol. 55:816–826.
- VAN DE WINKEL, J. G. J., and P. J. A. CAPEL. 1993. Human IgG Fc receptor heterogeneity: molecular aspects and clinical implications. Immunol. Today. 14:215–221.
- MARSH, C. B., C. L. ANDERSON, M. L. LOWE, and M. D. WEWERS. 1996. Monocyte IL-8 release is induced by two independent FcγR-mediated pathways. J. Immunol. 157:2632–2637.
- SCHOLL, P. R., D. AHERN, and R. S. GEHA. 1992. Protein tyrosine phosphorylation induced via the IgG receptors FcγRI and FcγRII in the human monocytic cell line THP-1. J. Immunol. 149:1751–1757.
- CORVAIA, N., I. G. REISCHL, E. KROEMER, and G. C. MUDDE. 1995. Modulation of Fcγ receptor-mediated early events by the tyrosine phosphatase CD45 in primary human monocytes. Consequences for interleukin-6 production. Eur. J. Immunol. 25:738–744.
- GHAZIZADEH, S., J. B. BOLEN, and H. B. FLEIT. 1995. Tyrosine phosphorylation and association of Syk with FcγRII in monocytic THP-1 cells. Biochem. J. 305:669–674.
- RANKIN, B. M., S. A. YOCUM, R. S. MITTLER, and P. A. KIENER. 1993. Stimulation of tyrosine phosphorylation and calcium mobilization by Fcγ receptor cross-linking. J. Immunol. 150:605–616.
- KIENER, P. A., B. M. RANKIN, A. L. BURKHARDT, G. L. SCHIEVEN, L. K. GILLILAND, R. B. ROWLEY, J. B. BOLEN, and J. A. LEDBETTER. 1993. Cross-linking of Fcγ receptor I (FcγRI) and receptor II (FcγRII) on monocytic cells activates a signal transduction pathway common to both Fc receptors that involves the stimulation of p72 Syk protein tyrosine kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 268:24442–24448.
- DURDEN, D. L., and Y. LIU. 1994. Protein-tyrosine kinase p72syk in FcγRI signaling. Blood 84:2102–2108.
- RUIZ DE SOUZA, V., M. P. CARRENO, S. V. KAVERI, A. LEDUR, H. SADEGHI J. CAVAILLON, M. D. KAZATCHKINE, and N. HAEFFNER-CAVAILLON. 1995. Selective induction of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and interleukin-8 in human monocytes by normal polyspecific IgG (intravenous immunoglobulin). Ear. J. Immunol. 25:1267–1273.
- BANNISTER, K. M., G. S. HOWARTH, A. R. CLARKSON, and A. J. WOODROFFE 1983. Glomerular IgG subclass distribution in human glomerulonephritis. Clinical Nephrology 19:161–165.
- OXELIUS, V. A. 1984. Immunoglobulin G (IgG) subclasses and human disease. Am. J. Med. 76(3A):7–18.
- SILK, H. J., D. AMBROSINO, and R. S. GEHA. 1990. Effect of intravenous gammaglobulin therapy in IgG2 deficient and IgG2 sufficient children with recurrent infections and poor response to immunization with Hemophilus influenzae Type b capsular polysaccharide antigen. Annals of Allergy. 64:21–25.
- ANNEREN, G., C. G. M. MAGNUSSON, and S. L. NORDVALL. 1990. Increase in serum concentrations of IgG2 and IgG4 by selenium supplementation in children with Down's syndrome. Arch. Dis. Children 65:1353–1355.
- NAKANE, A., T. MINAGAWA, and K. KATO. 1988. Endogenous tumor necrosis factor (cachectin) is essential to host resistance against Listeria monocytogenes infection. Infect. Immun. 56:2563–2569.
- HAVELL, E. A. 1989. Evidence that tumor necrosis factor has an important role in antibacterial resistance. J. Immunol. 143:2894–2899.
- ECHTENACHER, B., W. FALK, D. N. MANNEL, and P. H. KRAMMER. 1990. Requirement of endogenous tumor necrosis factor/cachectin for recovery from experimental peritonitis. J. Immunol. 145:3762–3766.
- Cytokine Responses of Human Blood Monocytes Stimulated with Igs
Volume 21, Issue 5 , pp 501-517
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors