Antiinflammatory Effect of Lipocortin 1 in Experimental Arthritis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The glucocorticoid-induced antiinflammatory protein lipocortin 1 is present in arthritic synovium but its ability to regulate joint inflammation has not previously been studied. We investigated the role of lipocortin 1 in the antiinflammatory activity of glucocorticoids in an acute arthritis model induced by intraarticular injection of carrageenan. Compared to control joints (0.09 ± 0.08 × 106 synovial fluid cell count), carrageenan injected joints exhibited marked infiltration of PMN (10.2 ± 0.7 × 106, p < 0.001). Both intraperitoneal (1.0 mg/kg) and intraarticular administration (5 μg) of dexamethasone (DEX) significantly suppressed arthritis severity (p < 0.001 and 0.005, respectively), and the effects of DEX were significantly prevented by intra-articular injection of antilipocortin 1 mAb (p < 0.05). Carrageenan arthritis was also significantly inhibited by intraarticular administration of the N-terminal lipocortin 1 peptide Ac2-26 at doses of 1 or 2 mg/kg (p < 0.01). Intraarticular injection antilipocortin 1 mAb in the absence of DEX also significantly exacerbated arthritis severity (p < 0.005). In vitro treatment of PMN with DEX was associated with significant inhibition of phagocytosis (p < 0.005) and reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation (p < 0.001). Antilipocortin 1 mAb significantly reduced the inhibitory effects of DEX (p < 0.01 and 0.005, respectively). These results demonstrate that lipocortin 1 mediates the effects of exogenous glucocorticoids on neutrophil migration in carrageenan-induced acute arthritis, exerts an endogenous antiinflammatory influence, and mediates glucocorticoid inhibition of neutrophil activation.
- ZVAIFLER, N. J., and G. S. FIRESTEIN. 1994. Pannus and pannocytes. Alternative models of joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 37:783–789.
- BURMESTER, G. R., B. STUHLMULLER, G. KEYSZER, and R. W. KINNE. 1997. Mononuclear phagocytes and rheumatoid synovitis—Mastermind or workhorse in arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 40:5–18X.
- MORAND, E. F., and N. J. GOULDING. 1993. Glucocorticoids in rheumatoid arthritis—Mediators and mechanisms. Br. J. Rheumatol. 32:816–819.
- CHROUSOS, G. P. 1995. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and immune-mediated inflammation. N. Engl. J. Med. 332:1351–1362.
- STEPHANOU, A., N. J. SARLIS, R. A. KNIGHT, S. L. LIGHTMAN, and H. S. CHOWDREY. 1992. Glucocorticoid-mediated responses of plasma ACTH and anterior pituitary pro-opiomelanocortin, growth hormone and prolactin mRNAs during adjuvant-induced arthritis in the rat. J. Mol. Endocrinol 9:273–281.
- MANCUSO, F., R. J. FLOWER, and M. PERRETTI. 1995. Leukocyte transmigration, but not rolling or adhesion, is selectively inhibited by dexamethasone in the hamster post-capillary venule. Involvement of endogenous lipocortin 1. J. Immunol. 155:377–386.
- TESSIER, P. A., P. CATTARUZZI, and S. R. MC COLL. 1996. Inhibition of lymphocyte adhesion to cytokine-activated synovial fibroblasts by glucocorticoids involves the attenuation of vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 gene expression. Arthritis Rheum 39:226–234.
- KERN, J. A., R. J. LAMB, J. C. REED, R. P. DANIELE, and P. C. NOWELL. 1988. Dexamethasone inhibition of interleukin 1 beta production by human monocytes. Posttranscriptional mechanisms. J. Clin. Invest. 81:237–244.
- CROFFORD, L. J., R. L. WILDER, A. P. RISTIMÄKI, H. SANO, E. F. REMMERS, H. R. EPPS, and T. HIA. 1994. Cyclooxygenase-1 and-2 expression in rheumatoid synovial tissues. Effects of interleukin-lbeta, phorbol ester, and corticosteroids. J. Clin. Invest. 93:1095–1101.
- SAUER, J., G. K. STALLA, O.-A. MÜLLER, and E. ARZT. 1994. Inhibition of interleukin-2-mediated lymphocyte activation in patients with Cushing's syndrome: A comparison with hypocortisolemic patients. Neuroendocrinology 59:144–151.
- SZABO, C., C. THIEMERMANN, C.-C. WU, M. PERRETTI, and J. R. VANE. 1994. Attenuation of the induction of nitric oxide synthase by endogenous glucocorticoids accounts for endotoxin tolerance in vivo. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 91:271–275.
- VISHWANATH, B. S., F. J. PREY, M. J. BRADBURY, M. F. DALLMAN, and B. M. FREY. 1993. Glucocorticoid deficiency increases phospholipase A2 activity in rats. J. Clin. Invest. 92:1974–1980.
- SWAIRJO, M. A., and B. A. SEATON. 1994. Annexin structure and membrane interactions: a molecular perspective. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Struct. 23:193–213.
- PERRETTI, M., and R. J. FLOWER. 1993. Modulation of IL-1-induced neutrophil migration by dexamethasone and lipocortin 1. J. Immunol. 150:992–999.
- Wu, C-C., J. D. CROXTALL, M. PERRETTI, C. E. BRYANT, C. THIEMERMANN, R. J. FLOWER, and J. R. VANE. 1995. Lipocortin 1 mediates the inhibition by dexamethasone of the induction by endotoxin of nitric oxide synthase in the rat. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 92:3473–3477.
- MARIDONNEAU-PARINI, I., M. ERRASFA, and F. RUSSO-MARIE. 1989. Inhibition of O− 2 generation by dexamethasone is mimicked by lipocortin I in alveolar macrophages. J. Clin. Invest. 83:1936–1940.
- KIM, K. M., D. K. KIM, Y. M. PARK, C. K. KIM, and D. S. NA. 1994. Annexin-I inhibits phospholipase A2 by specific interaction, not by substrate depletion. FEBS Lett. 343:251–255.
- GOULDING, N. J., J. DIXEY, E. F. MORAND, R. DODDS, L. WILKINSON, A. A. PITSILLIDES, and J. C. W. EDWARDS. 1995. Differential expression of annexins-I,-II,-IV and-VI in synovium. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 54:841–845.
- MORAND, E. F., P. HUTCHINSON, A. HARGREAVES, N. J. GOULDING, N. W. BOYCE, and S. R. HOLDSWORTH, 1995. Detection of intracellular lipocortin 1 in human leukocyte subsets. Clin. Immunol. Immunopathol. 76:195–202.
- PEPINSKY, R. B., L. K. SINCLAIR, I. DOUGAS, C.-M. LIANG, P. LAWTON, and J. L. BROWNING. 1990. Monoclonal antibodies to lipocortin-1 as probes for biological function. FEBS Lett. 261:247–252.
- HARRIS, J. G., R. J. FLOWER, and M. PERRETTI. 1995. Alteration of neutrophil trafficking by a lipocortin 1 n-terminus peptide. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 279:149–157.
- BOHMER, R. H., L. S. TRINKLE, and J. L. STANECK. 1992. Dose effects of LPS on neutrophils in a whole blood flow cytometric assay of phagocytosis and oxidative burst. Cytometry 13:525–531.
- EMMENDORFFER, A., M. HECHT, M. L. LOHMANN-MATTHES, and J. ROESLER. 1990. A fast and easy method to determine the production of reactive oxygen intermediates by human and murine phagocytes using dihydrorhodamine 123. J. Immunol. Methods 131:269–275.
- PERRETTI, M., S. K. WHELLER, Q. CHOUDHURY, J. D. CROXTALL, and R. J. FLOWER. 1995. Selective inhibition of neutrophil function by a peptide derived from lipocortin 1 N-terminus. Biochem. Pharmacol. 50:1037–1042.
- STERNBERG, E. M., J. M. HILL, G. P. CHROUSOS, T. KAMILARIS, S. J. LISTWAK, P. W. GOLD, and R. L. WILDER. 1989. Inflammatory mediator-induced hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activation is defective in streptococcal cell wall arthritis susceptible Lewis rats. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 86:2374–2378.
- SOLITO, E., G. RAUGEI, M. MELLI, and L. PARENTE. 1991. Dexamethasone induces the expression of the mRNA of lipocortin 1 and 2 and the release of lipocortin 1 and 5 in differentiated, but not undifferentiated U-937 cells. FEBS Lett. 291:238–244.
- COMERA, C., and F. RUSSOMARIE. 1995. Glucocorticoid-induced annexin 1 secretion by monocytes and peritoneal leukocytes. Brit. J. Pharmacol. 115:1043–1047.
- GOULDING, N. J., J. L. GODOLPHIN, P. R. SHARLAND, S. H. PEERS, M. SAMPSON, P. J. MADDISON, and R. J. FLOWER. 1990. Anti-inflammatory lipocortin 1 production by peripheral blood leucocytes in response to hydrocortisone. Lancet 335: 1416–1418.
- MORAND, E. F., C. M. JEFFERISS, J. DIXEY, D. MITRA, and N. J. GOULDING. 1994. Impaired glucocorticoid induction of mononuclear leukocyte lipocortin 1 in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 37:207–211.
- PERRETTI, M., J. D. CROXTALL, S. K. WHELLER, N. J. GOULDING, R. HANNON, and R. J. FLOWER. 1996. Mobilizing lipocortin 1 in adherent human leukocytes downregulates their transmigration. Nature Medicine 2:1259–1262.
- YANG, Y. H., P. HUTCHINSON, M. LEECH, and E. F. MORAND. 1997. Exacerbation of adjuvant arthritis by adrenalectomy is associated with reduced leukocyte lipocortin 1. J. Rheumatol. (in press).
- SANTOS, L. L., E. F. MORAND, P. HUTCHINSON, N. W. BOYCE, and S. R. HOLDSWORTH. 1997. Anti-neutrophil monoclonal antibody therapy inhibits the development of adjuvant arthritis. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 107:248–254.
- YOUSSEF, P. P., J. CORMACK, C. A. EVILL, D. T. PETER, P. J. R OBERTS-THOMSON, J. M. AHERN, and M. D. SMITH. 1996. Neutrophil trafficking into inflamed joints in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and the effects of methylprednisolone. Arthritis Rheum. 39:216–225.
- VINEGAR, R., J. F. TRUAX, J. L. SELPH, P. R. JOHNSTON, A. L. VENABLE, and K. K. MC KENZIE. 1987. Pathway to carrageenan-induced inflammation in the hind limb of the rat. Fed. Proc. 46:118–126.
- WEI, X. Q., I. G. CHARLES, A. SMITH, J. URE, G. J. FENG, F. P. HUANG, D. XU, W. MULLER, S. MONCADA, and F. Y. LIEW. 1995. Altered immune responses in mice lacking inducible nitric oxide synthase. Nature 375:408–411.
- STICHTENOTH, D. O., J. FAULER, H. ZEIDLER, and J. C. FROLICH. 1995. Urinary nitrate excretion is increased in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and reduced by prednisolone. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 54:820–824.
- STENBERG, V. I., M. G. BOULEY, B. M. KATZ, K. J. LEE, and S. S. PARMAR. 1990. Negative control system for inflammation in rats. Agents Actions 29:189–195.
- KARALIS, K., L. CROFFORD, R. L. WILDER, and G. P. CHROUSOS. 1995. Glucocorticoid and/or glucocorticoid antagonist effects in inflammatory disease-susceptible Lewis rats and inflammatory disease-resistant Fischer rats. Endocrinology 136:3107–3112.
- ROILIDES, E., K. UHLIG, D. VENZON, P. A. PIZZO, and T. J. WALSH. 1993. Prevention of corticosteroid-induced suppression of human polymorphonuclear leukocyte-induced damage of Aspergillus fumigatus hyphae by granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and gamma interferon. Infect. Immun. 61:4870–4877.
- LOMAS, D. A., M. IP, A. CHAMBA, and R. A. STOCKLEY. 1991. The effect of in vitro and in vivo dexamethasone on human neutrophil function. Agents Actions 33:279–285.
- SCHLAEPFER, D. D., and H. T. HAIGLER. 1987. Characterization of Ca2+dependent phospholipid binding and phosphorylation of lipocortin 1. J. Biol. Chem. 262:6931–6937.
- BROWNING, J. L., M. P. WARD, B. P. WALLNER, and R. B. PEPINSKY. 1990. Studies on the structural properties of lipocortin-1 and the regulation of its synthesis by steroids. Prog. Clin. Biol. Res. 349:27–45.
- PERRETTI, M. 1994. Lipocortin-derived peptides. Biochem. Pharmacol. 47:931–938.
- SANTOS, L., and P. G. TIPPING. 1994, Attenuation of adjuvant arthritis in rats by treatment with oxygen radical scavengers. Immunol. Cell Biol. 72:406–414.
- SaKURAI, H., H. KOHSAKA, M. F. LIU, H. HIGASHIYAMA, Y. HIRATA, K. KANNO, I. SAITO, and N. MIYASAKA. 1995. Nitric oxide production and inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in inflammatory arthritides. J. Clin. Invest. 96:2357–2363.
- Antiinflammatory Effect of Lipocortin 1 in Experimental Arthritis
Volume 21, Issue 6 , pp 583-596
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors