The entire cDNA sequences of projectin isoforms of crayfish claw closer and flexor muscles and their localization
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Projectin is a giant protein related to twitchin and titin/connectin, that is found in arthropod striated muscle. The complete sequence of a 1 MDa projectin from Drosophila muscle was recently deduced from a thorough analysis of the genomic DNA (Southgate and Ayme-Southgate, 2001). Here we report the complete sequence for projectin from crayfish claw closer muscle (8625 residues; 962,634 Da). The N-terminal sequence contains 12 unique 19-residue repeats rich in glutamic acid (E) and lysine (K). This region, termed the EK region, is clearly distinguishable from the PEVK-like domain of Drosophila projectin. The sequence of crayfish flexor projectin differs from that of closer muscle projectin in that there is a 114-residue deletion and a 35-residue insertion in the N-terminal region. Immunofluorescence microscopy demonstrated that projectin is mainly localized within the sarcomeric A band in both closer and flexor muscles, although the N-terminal region was shown to extrude into the I band region. In the closer muscles, invertebrate connectin (D-titin) connects the Z line to the edge of the A band (Fukuzawa et al., 2001). We have shown that invertebrate connectin is also present in flexor muscle sarcomeres, although in very low abundance.
- Ayme-Southgate A, Southgate R and McEliece MK (2000) Drosophila projectin: a look at protein structure and sarcomeric assembly. Adv Exp Med Biol 481: 251–264.
- Ayme-Southgate A, Southgate R, Saide J, Benian GM and Pardue ML (1995) Both synchronous and asynchronous muscle isoforms of projectin (the Drosophila bent locus product) contain functional kinase domains. J Cell Biol 128: 393–403. CrossRef
- Ayme-Southgate A, Vigoreaux J, Benian GM and Pardue ML (1991) Drosophila has a twitchin/titin-related gene that appears to encode projectin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 7973–7977. CrossRef
- Benian GM, Ayme-Southgate A and Tinley TL (1999) The genetics and molecular biology of the titin/connectin-like proteins of invertebrates. Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol 138: 235–268.
- Benian GM, L'Hemault SW and Morris ME (1993) Additional sequence complexity in the muscle gene, unc-22, and its encoded protein, twitchin, of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 134: 1097–1104.
- Bullard B, Hammond KS and Luke BM (1977) The site of paramyosin in insect flight muscle and the presence of an unidentified protein between myosin laments and Z-line. J Mol Biol 115: 417–440. CrossRef
- Daley J, Southgate R and Ayme-Southgate A (1998) Structure of the Drosophila projectin protein: isoforms and implication for projec-tin lament assembly. J Mol Biol 279: 201–210. CrossRef
- Fowler VM and Bennett V (1984) Erythrocyte membrane tropomyo-sin. Purification and properties. J Biol Chem 259: 5978–5989.
- Fukuzawa A, Shimamura J, Takemori S, Kanzawa N, Yamaguchi M, Sun P, Maruyama K and Kimura S (2001) Invertebrate connectin spans as much as 3. 5 l in the giant sarcomeres of crayfish claw muscle. EMBO J 20: 4826–4835. CrossRef
- Fyrberg CC, Labeit S, Bullard B, Leonard K and Fyrberg E (1992) Drosophila projectin: relatedness to titin and twitchin and corre-lation with lethal(4) 102 CDa and bent-dominant mutants. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 249: 33–40.
- Gregorio CC, Granzier H, Sorimachi H and Labeit S (1999) Muscle assembly: a titanic achievement? Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 18–25. CrossRef
- Hu DH, Matsuno A, Terakado K, Matsuura T, Kimura S and Maruyama K (1990) Projectin is an invertebrate connectin (titin): isolation from crayfish claw muscle and localization in crayfish claw muscle and insect flight muscle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 11: 497–511. CrossRef
- Labeit S and Kolmerer B (1995) Titins: giant proteins in charge of muscle ultrastructure and elasticity. Science 270: 293–296.
- Larkey A, Ferguson C, Labeit S, Reedy M, Larkins A, Butcher G, Leonald K and Bullard B (1990) Identification and localization of high molecular weight proteins in insect flight and leg muscle. EMBO J 9: 3459–3467.
- Linke, WA(2000) Stretchingmolecular springs: elasticity of titin laments in vertebrate striated muscle. Histol Histopathol 15: 799–811.
- Manabe T, Kawamura Y, Higuchi H, Kimura S and Maruyama K (1993) Connectin, giant elastic protein, in giant sarcomeres of crayfish claw muscle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 14: 654–665. CrossRef
- Nave R and Weber K (1990) A myo brillar protein of insect muscle related to vertebrate titin connects Z band and A band: purifica-tion and molecular characterization of invertebrate mini-titin. J Cell Sci 95: 535–544.
- Saide JD (1981) Identification of a connecting lament protein in insect fibrillar flight muscle. J Mol Biol 153: 661–679. CrossRef
- Saide JD, Chin-Bow S, Hogan-Sheldon J and Busquets-Turner L (1990) Z-band proteins in the flight muscle and leg muscle of the honeybee. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 11: 125–136. CrossRef
- Saide JD, Chin-Bow S, Hogan-Sheldon J, Busquets-Turner L, Vigo-reaux JO, Valgeirsdottir L and Pardue ML (1989) Characterization of components of Z-bands in the fibrillar flight muscle of Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol 109: 2157–2167. CrossRef
- Southgate R and Ayme-Southgate A (2001) Alternative splicing of an amino-terminal PEVK-like region generates multiple isoforms of Drosophila projectin. J Mol Biol 313: 1035–1043. CrossRef
- Tskhovrebova L and Trinick J (2002) Role of titin in vertebrate striated muscle. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 357: 199–206. CrossRef
- Vigoreaux JO, Saide JD and Pardue ML (1991) Structurally different Drosophila striated muscles utilize distinct variants of Z-band-associated proteins. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 12: 340–354. CrossRef
- Weitkamp B, Jurk K and Beinbrech G (1998) Projectin-thin lament interactions and modulation of the sensitivity of the actomyosin ATPase to calcium by projectin kinase. J Biol Chem 273: 19802–19808. CrossRef
- The entire cDNA sequences of projectin isoforms of crayfish claw closer and flexor muscles and their localization
Journal of Muscle Research & Cell Motility
Volume 24, Issue 7 , pp 431-438
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links