Exercise in the Management of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Berger M, Berchtold P, Cuppers HJ, Drost H, Kley HK, Muller WA, Wiegelmann W, Zimmerman-Telschow H, Gries FA, Kruskemper HL, Zimmermann H. Metabolic and hormonal effects of muscular exercise in juvenile type diabetics. Diabetologia 1977;13:355–365.
- Mitchell TH, Abraham G, Shiffrin A, Leiter LA, Marliss EB. Hyperglycemia after intense exercise in IDDM subjects during continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion. Diabetes Care 1988; 11:311–317.
- Kannel WB, McGee DL. Diabetes and glucose tolerance as risk factors for cardiovascular disease: The Framingham Study. Diabetes Care 1979;2:920–926.
- Mogensen CE, Vittinghus E. Urinary albumin excretion during exercise in juvenile diabetes. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1975;35:295–300.
- Viberti GC, Jarrett RJ, McCartney M, Keen H. Increased glomerular permeability to albumin induced by exercise in diabetic subjects. Diabetologia 1978;14:293–300.
- Poulsen PL, Ebbehoj E, Mogensen CE. Lisinopril reduces albuminuria during exercise in low grade microalbuminuric Type 1 diabetic patients: A double blind randomized study. J Int Med 2001;249: 433–440.
- Touminen J, Ebelin P, Koivisto V. Long-term lisinopril therapy reduces exercise-induced albuminuria in normoalbuminuric normotensive IDDM patients. Diabetes Care 1998;21:1345–1348.
- Rubler S. Asymptomatic diabetic females—Exercise testing. NYS J Med 1981;81:1185–1191.
- Hilsted J, Galbo H, Christensen NJ. Impaired cardiovascular responses to graded exercise in diabetic autonomic neuropathy. Diabetes 1979;28:313–319.
- Kahn JK, Zola B, Juni JE, Vinik AI. Decreased exercise heart rate and blood pressure response in diabetic subjects with cardiac autonomic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 1986;9:389–394.
- Margonato AP, Gerundini P, Vicedomini G, Gilardi MC, Pozza G, Fazio F. Abnormal cardiovascular response to exercise in young asymptomatic diabetic patients with retinopathy. Am Heart J 1986;112:554–560.
- Colhoun HM, Francis DP, Rubens MB, Underwood SR, Fuller JH. The association of heart-rate variability with cardiovascular risk factors and coronary artery calcification: A study in type 1 diabetic patients and the general population. Diabetes Care 2001;24:1108–1114.
- Huttunen JK, Lanisimies E, Voutilainen E, Ehnholm C, Hietanen E, Penttila I, Siitonen O, Rauramaa R. Effect of moderate physical exercise on serum lipoprotein. Circulation 1979;60:1220–1229.
- Idzior-Walus B, Mattock MB, Solnica B, Stevens L, Fuller JH, EURODIABIDDM Complications Study Group. Factors associated with plasma lipids and lipoproteins in type 1 diabetes mellitus: The EURODIABIDDM complications study. Diabet Med 2001;18:786–796.
- Horton ES. The role of exercise in the treatment of hypertension in obesity. Int J Obes 1979;5(Suppl 1):89.
- Lehmann R, Kaplan V, Bingisser R, Bloch KE, Spinas GA. Impact of physical activity of cardiovascular risk factors in IDDM. Diabetes Care 1997;20:1603–1611.
- Raile K, Kapellen T, Schweiger A, Hunkert F, Nietzschmann U, Dost A, Kiess W. Physical activity and competitive sports in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 1999;22:1904–1905.
- Ahlborg G, Felig P, Hagenfeldt L, Hendler R, Wahren J. Substrate turnover during prolonged exercise. J Clin Invest 1974;53:1080–1090.
- Richter EA, Ploug T, Galbo H. Increased muscle glucose uptake following exercise: No need for insulin during exercise. Diabetes 1985;34:1041–1048.
- Hayashi T, Jorgen FPW, Goodyear LJ. Exercise regulation of glucose transport in skeletal muscle. American Physiological Society 1997;E1039.
- Wasserman DH, Lickley HLA, Vranic M. Interactions between glucagon and other counterregulatory hormones during normoglycemic and hypoglycemic exercise in dogs. J Clin Invest 1984; 74:1401–1413.
- Stallknecht B, Lorentsen J, Enevoldsen LH, Bulow J, Biering-Sorensen F, Galbo H, Kjaer M. Role of the sympathoadrenergic system in adipose tissue metabolism during exercise in humans. J of Physiology 2001;536:283–294.
- Felig P, Wahren J. Fuel homeostasis in exercise. N Engl J Med 1975;293:1078–1084.
- Rose A, Howlett K, King D, Hargreaves M. Effect of prior exercise on glucose metabolism in trained men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;281:E766–E771.
- Ryan AS, Muller DC, Elahi D. Sequential hyperglycemiceuglycemic clamp to assess β-cell and peripheral tissue: Studies in female athletes. J Appl Physiol 2001;91:872–881.
- Zinman B, Murray FT, Vranic M, Albisser AM, Leibel BS, McClean PA, Marliss EB. Glucoregulation during moderate exercise in insulin treated diabetics. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1977;45:641–652.
- Koivisto V, Felig P. Effects of leg exercise on insulin absorption in diabetic patients. N Engl J Med 1978;298:79–83.
- Yamakita T, Ishii T, Yamagami K, Yamamoto T, Miyamoto M, Hosoi M, Yoshioka K, Sato T, Onishi S, Tanaka S, Fujii S. Glycemic response during exercise after administration of insulin lispro compared with that after administration of regular human insulin. Diabetes Res and Clin Practice 2002;57:17–22.
- MacDonald MJ. Postexercise late-onset hypoglycemia in insulindependent diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 1987;10:584–588.
- Bogardus C, Thuillez P, Ravussin E, Vasquez B, Narimiga M, Azhar S. Effect of muscle glycogen depletion in vivo in insulin action in man. J Clin Invest 1983;72:1605–1610.
- Calles J, Cunningham JJ, Nelson L, Brown N, Nadel E, Sherwin RS, Felig P. Glucose turnover during recovery from intensive exercise. Diabetes 1983;32:734–738.
- Fery F, deMaertalaer V, Balasse EO. Mechanism of the hyperketonaemic effect of prolonged exercise in insulin-deprived type I (insulin-dependent) diabetic patients. Diabetologia 1987;30:298–304.
- Hernandez JM, Moccia T, Fluckey JD, Ulbrecht JS, Farell PA. Fluid snacks to help persons with type 1 diabetes avoid late onset postexercise hypoglycemia. Med and Sci in Sports and Exercise 2000;32:904–910.
- Exercise in the Management of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 355-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- physical exercise
- type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Industry Sectors