Gene density in the Giemsa bands of human chromosomes
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The human genome is formed by isochores belonging to five families, L1, L2, H1, H2 and H3, that are characterized by increasing GC levels and gene concentrations. In-situ hybridization of DNA from different isochore families provides, therefore, information not only on the correlation between isochores and chromosomal bands, but also on the distribution of genes in chromosomes. Three subsets of R(everse) bands were identified: H3+, H3* and H3−, that contain large, moderate, and no detectable amounts, respectively, of the gene-richest H2 and H3 isochores, and replicate very early and early, respectively, in S phase of the cell cycle. Here, we investigated the GC levels, replication timings and DNA compaction of G(iemsa) bands. We showed that G bands comprise two different subsets of bands, one of which is predominantly composed of L1 isochores, replicates at the end of the S phase, has a higher DNA compaction relative to H3+ bands and corresponds to the darkest G bands of Francke (1994). In contrast, the other subset is composed of L2 and H1 isochores, has less-extreme properties in replication and composition and corresponds to the less-dark G bands of Francke.
- Bernardi G (1995) The human genome: organization and evolutionary history. Ann Rev Genet 29: 445–476. CrossRef
- Bernardi G (2000) Isochores and the evolutionary genomics of vertebrates. Gene 241: 3–17. CrossRef
- Bernardi G, Olofsson B, Filipski J et al. (1985) The mosaic genome of warm-blooded vertebrates. Science 228: 953–958.
- Biemont MC, Laurent C, Couturie J, Dutrillaux B (1978) Chronologie de la rëplication des bandes des chromosomes sexuels dans les lymphocytes de sujets normaux et anormaux. Ann Gënët 21: 133–141.
- Craig JM, Bickmore WA (1994) The distribution of CpG islands in mammalian chromosomes. Nature Genet 7: 376–382. CrossRef
- Cuny G, Soriano P, Macaya G, Bernardi G (1981) The major components of the mouse and human genomes: preparation, basic properties and compositional heterogeneity. Eur J Biochem 111: 227–233. CrossRef
- Drouin R, Lemieux N, Richer C-L (1990) Analysis of DNA replication during S-phase by means of dynamic chromo-some banding at high resolution. Chromosoma 99: 273–280. CrossRef
- Drouin R, Holmquist G, Richer CL (1994) High resolution replication bands compared with morphologic G-and R-bands. Adv Hum Genet 22: 47–115.
- Dunham I, Shimizu N, Roe BA et al. (1999) The DNA sequence of human chromosome 22. Nature 402: 489–495. CrossRef
- Dutrillaux B (1973) Nouveau système de marquage chromosomique: les bandes T. Chromosoma 41: 395–402. CrossRef
- Dutrillaux B, Couturier J, Richer C-L, Viegas-Pequinot E (1976) Sequence of DNA replication in 277 R-and Q-bands of human chromosomes using a BrdU treatment. Chromosoma 58: 51–61. CrossRef
- Federico C, Saccone S, Bernardi G (1998) The gene-richest bands of human chromosomes replicate at the onset of the S-phase. Cytogenet Cell Genet 80: 83–88. CrossRef
- Fetni R, Drouin R, Richer C-L, Lemieux N (1996) Complementary replication R-and G-band patterns induced by cell blocking at the R-band/G-band transition, a possible regulatory checkpoint within the S phase of the cell cycle. Cytogenet Cell Genet 75: 172–179.
- Francke U (1994) Digitized and differentially shaded human chromosome ideograms for genomic applications. Cytogenet Cell Genet 6: 206–219. CrossRef
- Hattori M, Fujiyama A, Taylor TD et al. (2000) The DNA sequence of human chromosome 21. Nature 405: 311. CrossRef
- Kim MA, Johannsmann R, Grzeschik K-H (1975) Giemsa staining of the sites replicating DNA early in human lymphocyte chromosomes. Cytogenet Cell Genet 15: 363–371.
- Mouchiroud D, D'Onofrio G, Aïssani B, Macaya G, Gautier C, Bernardi G (1991) The distribution of genes in the human genome. Gene 100: 181–187. CrossRef
- Saccone S, De Sario A, Della Valle G, Bernardi G (1992) The highest gene concentrations in the human genome are in T-bands of metaphase chromosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 4913–4917. CrossRef
- Saccone S, De Sario A, Wiegant J, Raap AK, Della Valle G, Bernardi G (1993) Correlations between isochores and chromosomal bands in the human genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 11929–11933. CrossRef
- Saccone S, Cacciò S, Kusuda J, Andreozzi L, Bernardi G (1996) Identification of the gene-richest bands in human chromosomes. Gene 174: 85–94. CrossRef
- Saccone S, Federico C, Solovei I, Croquette MF, Della Valle G, Bernardi G (1999) Identification of the gene-richest bands in human prometaphase chromosomes. Chromosome Res 7: 379–386. CrossRef
- Vogel W, Autenrieth M, Mehnert K(1989) Analysis of chromosome replication by a BrdU antibody technique. Chromosoma 98: 335–341. CrossRef
- Zoubak S, Clay O, Bernardi G (1996) The gene distribution of the human genome. Gene 174: 95–102. CrossRef
- Gene density in the Giemsa bands of human chromosomes
Volume 8, Issue 8 , pp 737-746
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- chromatin condensation
- human genome
- in-situ hybridization
- replication timing
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Biologia Animale, University of Catania, via Androne 81, 95124, Catania, Italy
- 2. Dipartimento di Protezione e Valorizzazione Agroalimentare, University of Bologna, via F.lli Rosselli 107, 42100, Reggio Emilia, Italy
- 3. Laboratorio di Evoluzione Molecolare, Stazione Zoologica, Villa Comunale, 80121, Napoli, Italy