Monitoring a recombinant Pichia pastoris fed batch process using Fourier transform mid-infrared spectroscopy (FT-MIRS)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of Fourier transform mid-infrared spectroscopy (FT-MIRS) to predict the concentrations of key analytes in fed-batch cultivations of an industrial strain of Pichia pastoris in a chemical complex medium was investigated. Models for glycerol, methanol (substrates), and product (an heterologous protein) were built, and evaluated. The use of a multi-bounce attenuated total reflectance (HATR) accessory aided spectral acquisition in optically dense samples. Generally, all models were robust and performed well on external validation, using data from processes not present in the original modelling exercise. Substrate models lacked the complexity of some previous IR models, and the models performed adequately even at low analyte concentration (<1 g l−1). Thus, simultaneous, rapid monitoring of low concentrations of multiple analytes in a complex bioprocess matrix with little or no sample pre-treatment is achievable using ATR FT-MIRS.
- Cavinato AG, Mayes DM, Ge Z, Callis JB (1990) Noninvasive method for monitoring ethanol in fermentation processes using fibre-optic near-infrared spectroscopy. Anal. Chem. 62:1977–1982.
- Chauhan AK, Arora D, Khana N (1999) A novel feeding strategy for enhanced protein production by fed-batch fermentation in recombinant Pichia pastoris. Process Biochem. 34: 39–145.
- Colthup NB, Daly LH, Wiberley SE (1990) Introduction to Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy. New York: Academic Press, pp. 126–156.
- Cregg JM, Vedvick TS, Raschke WC (1993) Recent advances in the expression of foreign genes in Pichia pastoris. Bio/Technology 11:905–910.
- Doak DL, Phillips JA (1999) In situ monitoring of an Escherichia coli fermentation using a diamond composition ATR probe for mid-infrared spectroscopy. Biotechnol. Prog. 15:529–539.
- Fearn T (1999) A look at some standard pre-treatments for spectra. NIR News. 10:10–11.
- Hall JW, McNeil B, Rollins MJ, Draper I, Thompson BG, Macaloney G (1996) Near-infrared spectroscopic determination of acetate, ammonium, biomass and glycerol in an industrial Escherichia coli fermentation. Appl. Spec. 50:102–108.
- Harthun S, Matischak K, Friedl P (1998) Simultaneous prediction of human antithrombin I I I and main metabolites in animal cell culture processes by near-infrared spectroscopy. Biotechnol. Tech. 12:393–397.
- Macaloney G, Hall JW, Rollins MJ, Draper I, Anderson KB, Preston J, Thompson BG, McNeil B (1997) The utility and performance of near-infra red spectroscopy in simultaneous monitoring of multiple components in a high cell density recombinant Escherichia coli production process. Bioprocess Eng. 17:157–167.
- Macaloney G, Hall JW, Rollins MJ, Draper I, Thompson BG, McNeil B (1994) Monitoring biomass and glycerol in an Escherichia coli fermentation using near-infrared spectroscopy. Biotechnol. Tech. 8:281–286.
- Martens H, Naes T (1989) Multivariate Calibration. London: John Wiley & Sons.
- Muhammer DW, Riley MR, Rhiel M, Arnold MA, Walls EL, Delacruz N (1997) Simultaneous measurement of glucose and glutamine in insect cell culture media by near infrared spectroscopy. Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 213:135-BIOT.
- Riley MR, Arnold MA, Murhammer D (2000) Effect of sample complexity on quantification of analytes in aqueous samples by near-infrared spectroscopy. Appl. Spectr. 54:255–261.
- Riley MR, Rhiel M, Zhou X, Arnold MA, Murhammer DW (1997) Simultaneous measurement of glucose and glutamine in insect cell culture media by near infrared spectroscopy. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 55:11–15.
- Vaidyanathan S, McNeil B (1998) Near infrared spectroscopy-a panacea in pharmaceutical bioprocessing? Eur. Pharm. Rev. 3: 43–48.
- Warnes MR, Glasssey J, Montague GA, Kara B (1996) On data bade modelling techniques for fermentation processes. Process Biochem. 31:147–155.
- Wegner EH (1983) Biochemical conversions by yeast fermentation at high cell densities. United States Patent No. 4414329.
- Xie L, Wang DIC (1997) Integrated approaches to the design of media and feeding strategies for fed-batch culture of animal cells. Trends Biotechnol. 15:109–113.
- Ye Q, Qui J, Zhang S (1998) Monitoring constituent concentrations in bioreactions with attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. 7th Int. Conf. Comput. Appl. Biotech. 447–450.
- Monitoring a recombinant Pichia pastoris fed batch process using Fourier transform mid-infrared spectroscopy (FT-MIRS)
Volume 22, Issue 24 , pp 1907-1912
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- bioprocess monitoring
- Fourier transform spectroscopy
- Pichia pastoris
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Strathclyde Fermentation Centre, Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, G1 1XW, UK
- 2. Nicolet Instruments Limited, Nicolet House, Budbrooke road, Warwick, CV34 5XH, UK