Photosynthetic performance of a cyanobacterium in a vertical flat-plate photobioreactor for outdoor microalgal production and fixation of CO2
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A vertical flat-plate photobioreactor was developed for the outdoor culture of microalgae using sunlight as the light source. The ability for biomass production and CO2 fixation was evaluated by using a cyanobacterium, Synechocystis aquatilis SI-2. The average areal productivity was 31 g biomass m−2 d−1, which corresponded to a CO2 fixation rate of 51 g CO2 m−2 d−1, sustainable in the northern region of Japan during the winter time (January and February). The relationships between the efficiency of solar energy utilization of the reactor and its effect factors (cell concentration and irradiation) were investigated.
- Grobbelaar JU, Nedbal L, Tichy L, Setlik I (1995) Variation in some photosynthetic characteristics of microalgae cultured in outdoor thin-layered sloping reactors. J. Appl. Phycol. 7: 175–184.
- Hirata S, Hayashitani M, Taya M, Tone S (1996) Carbon dioxide fixation in batch culture of Chlorella sp. using a photobioreactor with a sunlight-collection device. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 81: 470–472.
- Hu Q, Guterman H, Richmond A (1996) A flat inclined modular photobioreactor for outdoor mass cultivation of photoautotrophs. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 51: 51–60.
- Kodama M, Ikemoto H, Miyachi S (1993) A new species of highly CO2-tolerant fast-growing marine microalga suitable for highdensity culture. J. Mar. Biotechnol. 1: 21–25.
- Laws EA, Taguchi S, Hirata J, Pang L (1985) High algal production rates achieved in a shallow outdoor flume. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 28: 191–197.
- Laws EA, Terry KL, Wickman J, Chalup MS (1983) A simple algal production system designed to utilize the flashing light effect. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 25: 2319–2335.
- Ogbonna JC, Soejima T, Tanaka H (1999) An integrated solar and artifical light system for internal illumination of photobioreactors. J. Biotechnol. 70: 289–297.
- Pirt SJ, Lee YK, Richmond A, Pirt MW (1980) The photosynthetic efficiency of Chlorella biomass growth with reference to solar energy utilization. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 30: 25–34.
- Richard JG, Bruce AO (1992) Algal Photosynthesis: The Measurement of Algal Gas Exchange. London: Chapman & Hall, pp. 125–130.
- Thimijan, RW, Heins RD (1983) Photometric, radiometric, and quantum light units of measure: a review of procedures for interconversion. Hort. Sci. 18: 818–822.
- Watanabe Y, Noue J la, Hall DO (1995) Photosynthetic performance of a helical tubular photobioreactor incorporating the cyanobacterium Spirulina platensis. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 47: 261–269.
- Zhang K, Kurano N, Miyachi S (1999) Outdoor culture of a cyanobacterium with a vertical flat-plate photobioreactor: effects on productivity of the reactor orientation, distance setting between the plates and culture temperature. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 52: 781–786.
- Photosynthetic performance of a cyanobacterium in a vertical flat-plate photobioreactor for outdoor microalgal production and fixation of CO2
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 21-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- carbon dioxide
- global warming
- outdoor culture
- Industry Sectors