Multiple-Scale Integrated Analysis of Farming Systems: The Thuong Lo Commune (Vietnamese Uplands) Case Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents an application of an innovative methodological tool for the integrated assessment of farming systems (Multi-Objective Multiple-Scale Integrated Representation). It describes the effect of rural development in parallel on economic and ecological reading at different levels: household, village, and the “commune” comprising 3 villages. Socio-economic and environmental indicators are organized into integrated packages across scales. This is an ex-post facto analysis of a program of rural development implemented in the Central Vietnamese uplands in 1995 by the central government with the collaboration of FAO. We conclude that two classic problems can only be faced by using an integrated analysis across levels: “Large scale” generalizations can miss important “location-specific” characteristics, and exclusive focus on “location specific” issues carries the risk of loosing the “big picture.”
- AA. VV. (1999). Vietnam Development Report-Attacking Poverty. Government-Donor-NGO Working Group Joint Report. Consultative Group Meeting for Vietnam, 168 pp.
- Adger, N.W. (1999a). Evolution of economy and environment: An application to land use in lowland Vietnam. Ecological Economics, 31, 365–379.
- Adger, N.W. (1999b). Social vulnerability to climate change and extremes in coastal Vietman. World Development 27(2), 249–269.
- Boothroyd, P., & Nam, P.X. (Eds.). (2000). Socioeconomic renovation in Viet Nam. IDRC/ ISEA. http://www.idrc.ca/acb/showdetl.cfm.
- Chambers, R. (1997). Whose reality counts? Putting the first last. London: Intermediate Technology Publications.
- Clark, W., & Morrison, J. (1994). Land mismanagement and the development imperative in Fiji. In P. Blaikie & H. Brookfiel (Eds.), Land degradation and society, pp. 176–185. London: Routledge.
- De Koninck, R. (1999). Deforestation in Viet Nam. Ottawa IDRC Resources Books.
- Do Dinh, Sam. (1994). Shifting cultivation in Vietnam: Its social, economic and environmental values relative to alternative land use. IIED Forestry and Land Use Series (3), 55 pp. + annexes. London: International Institute for Environment and Development
- Faggi, P., Gomiero, T., Gribaldo, A., Palmieri, P., Paoletti, M., Pettenella, D., & Vinceti, B., (1998). Forest land privatization in Vietnam: A sustainable process? Final Report of the research on the Sustainability of the Forest Land Allocation Process. FAO-MARD Project: “Country capacity strengthening for National Forest Action Plan implementation in Vietnam” (FAO GCP/VIE/020/ITA). March 1998, Padova University, 113 pp. plus Annexes.
- FAO. (1999). ESN—Nutritional countries profile—Vietnam. Rom: FAO.
- Garcia, S. (1997). Indicators for sustainable development of fisheries. In FAO, 1997: Land quality indicators and their use in sustainable agriculture and rural development. FAO Land and Water Bulletin 5. 213 pp. From the Proceedings of the Workshop organized by the Land and Water Development Division FAO Agriculture Department and the Research, Extension and Training Division FAO Sustainable Development Department 25–26 January 1996, pp. 131–155.
- Giampietro, M., & Pastore, G. (2000). Operationalaizing the concept of sustainable development in agriculture: Characterizing agroecosystems on a multi-criteria, multiple scale performances Space. In Gliessman (Ed.), Agroecosystem sustainability: Developing practical strategies, pp. 177–202. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Giampietro, M., & Pastore, G. (1999). Multidimensional reading of the dynamics of rural intensification in China: The AMOEBA approach. Critical Review in Plant Sciences, 18(3), 299–329.
- Giampietro, M., Cerettelli, G., & Pimentel, D. (1992). Energy analysis of agriculture ecosystem management: human return and sustainability. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 38: 219–244.
- Gomiero, T., & Giampietro, M. (forthcoming). Multiple-scale Integrated Assessment of Farming Systems in Rural Uplands Vietnam. Second Biennial International Workshop “Advances in Energy Studies” held in Portovenere, May 2000. (Book of proceedings in press). Available from http://www.chim.unisi.it/portovenere.html.
- Haque, T., & Montesi, L. (1996). Tenurial reforms and agricultural development in Viet Nam. Land reform/ Rome: FAO. (Also available on line at URL http://www.fao.org/sd/ltdirect/ LR96/haque.htm.)
- Irving, G. (1995). Vietnam: Assessing the achievements of Doi Moi. The Journal of Development Studies, 31(5), 725–750.
- Jamieson, N.L. (1993). Understanding Vietnam. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- MARD/FAO. (1998). “Participatory land use planning and forest land allocation.” Hanoi, 4–6 December 1997. Agriculture Publishing House, Hanoi.
- MARD/FAO. (1996). Land use planning and forest land allocation and other project activities. Proceedings of the Review Workshop held on Hue, 15–19 October 1996. MARD-FAO Project “Country capacity strengthening for NFAP implementation in Vietnam” (GCP/VIE/ 020/ITA), Hanoi.
- Nam, P., X., Dang, B.,V., & Hainsworth, G.B. (2000). Rural development in Viet Nam: the search for sustainable livelihoods. In P. Boothroyd, P. P. X. Nam (Eds.), Socioeconomic renovation in Viet Nam. IDRC/ISEA. http://www.idrc.ca/acb/showdetl.cfm.
- Nguyen, Van Tuong. (1997). Asia-Pacific forestry sector outlook study: Country report—Vietnam. Working Paper n. APFSOS/WP/31. Rome: FAO. http://www.fao.org/docrep/ w7718e00.htm.
- Nguyen, Huu Dung, & Tran Thi Thanh Dung. (1998). Economic and health consequences of pesticides use in paddy production in the Mekong delta, Vietnam. Paper presented at the IX Pacific Science Inter-Congress S-III-2 Economics of Sustainable Development: Linking Economics and the Environment organized by the Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica November 16–17, 1998 (http://www.sinica.edu.tw/econ/part/ix-program.htm).
- Pastore, G., Giampietro, M., & Li, J. (1999). Conventional and land-time budget analysis of rural villages in Hubei Province, China. Critical Review in Plant Sciences, 18(3), 331–357.
- Rambo, T.A., Reed, R.R., Le, T.C., & DiGregorio, M.R. (Eds.) (1995). The challenges of highland development in Vietnam. Honolulu, HI: East-West Center.
- Sikor, T. (1995). Decree 327 and the restoration of barren land in the Vietnamese Highlands. In A.T. Rambo, R.R. Reed, Le Trong Cuc & M.R. Di Gregorio. The challenges of highland development in Vietnam, pp. 143–156. Honolulu, HI: East-West Center; Center for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, Hanoi University; Center for Southeast Asia Studies, University of California.
- Smil, V. (1987). Energy, food, environment: realities, myths, options. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- ten Brink, B. (1992). The AMOEBA approach as useful tool for establishing sustainable development? In O. Kuik & H. Verbruggen (Eds.), In search of indicators of sustainable development, pp. 71–87. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer, Dordrecht.
- ten Brink, B., Hopser, S.H., & Colijn, F. (1981). A quantitative method for description and assessment of ecosystems: The AMOEBA approach. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 23, 265–270.
- UNDP. (1998). Viet Nam Annual Report. Hanoi: UNDP Ha Noi. http://www.undp.org.vn/ efault.htm.
- Vu Biet Linh, & Nguyen Ngoc Binh. (1995). Agroforestry systems in Vietnam. Hanoi: (Vietnam APAN) Agriculture Publishing House, Hanoi.
- Vu Van Me, (1997). Proposal for the establishment of a working group for forest land allocation in aid projects. Workshop on “Technical assistance for effective use of external support to integrated agricultural and rural development.” MARD, 10–11 January 1997.
- Word Bank. (1997). Vietnam. Deepening reform for growth. An economic report. Poverty Reduction and Economic Management Unit, East Asia and Pacific Region.
- Multiple-Scale Integrated Analysis of Farming Systems: The Thuong Lo Commune (Vietnamese Uplands) Case Study
Population and Environment
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 315-352
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- multiple-scale analysis
- Vietnam uplands
- rural development
- ethnic minorities
- farming system analysis