Single View Metrology
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe how 3D affine measurements may be computed from a single perspective view of a scene given only minimal geometric information determined from the image. This minimal information is typically the vanishing line of a reference plane, and a vanishing point for a direction not parallel to the plane. It is shown that affine scene structure may then be determined from the image, without knowledge of the camera's internal calibration (e.g. focal length), nor of the explicit relation between camera and world (pose).
In particular, we show how to (i) compute the distance between planes parallel to the reference plane (up to a common scale factor); (ii) compute area and length ratios on any plane parallel to the reference plane; (iii) determine the camera's location. Simple geometric derivations are given for these results. We also develop an algebraic representation which unifies the three types of measurement and, amongst other advantages, permits a first order error propagation analysis to be performed, associating an uncertainty with each measurement.
We demonstrate the technique for a variety of applications, including height measurements in forensic images and 3D graphical modelling from single images.
- Alberti, L.B. 1980. De Pictura. 1435. Reproduced by Laterza.
- Barnard, S.T. 1983. Interpreting perspective images. Artificial Intelligence, 21(3):435–462.
- Berger, M. 1987. Geometry II. Springer-Verlag.
- Canny, J.F. 1986. A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 8(6):679–698.
- Caprile, B. and Torre, V. 1990. Using vanishing points for camera calibration. International Journal of Computer Vision, 127–140.
- Clarke, J.C. 1998. Modelling uncertainty:Aprimer. Technical Report 2161/98, University of Oxford, Dept. Engineering Science.
- Collins, R.T. and Weiss, R.S. 1990. Vanishing point calculation as a statistical inference on the unit sphere. In Proc. 3rd International Conference on Computer Vision, Osaka, pp. 400–403.
- Criminisi, A., Reid, I., and Zisserman, A. 1999a. A plane measuring device. Image and Vision Computing, 17(8):625–634.
- Criminisi, A., Reid, I., and Zisserman, A. 1999b. Single view metrology. In Proc. 7th International Conference on Computer Vision Kerkyra, Greece, pp. 434–442.
- Devernay, F. and Faugeras, O.D. 1995. Automatic calibration and removal of distortion from scenes of structured environments. The International Society for Optimal Engineering. In SPIE, Vol. 2567, San Diego, CA.
- Faugeras, O.D. 1993. Three-Dimensional Computer Vision: A Geometric Viewpoint. MIT Press.
- Golub, G.H. and Van Loan, C.F. 1989. Matrix Computations, 2nd edn. The John Hopkins University Press: Baltimore, MD.
- Horry, Y., Anjyo, K., and Arai, K. 1997. Tour into the picture: Using a spidery mesh interface to make animation from a single image. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Computer Graphics, pp. 225–232.
- Kim, T., Seo, Y., and Hong, K. 1998. Physics-based 3D position analysis of a soccer ball from monocular image sequences. In Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 721–726.
- Koenderink, J.J. and van Doorn, A.J. 1991. Affine structure from motion. J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, 8(2):377–385.
- Liebowitz, D., Criminisi, A., and Zisserman, A. 1999. Creating architectural models from images. In Proc. EuroGraphics, Vol. 18, pp. 39–50.
- Liebowitz, D. and Zisserman, A. 1998. Metric rectification for perspective images of planes. In Proceedings of the Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 482–488.
- McLean, G.F. and Kotturi, D. 1995. Vanishing point detection by line clustering. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 17(11):1090–1095.
- Proesmans, M., Tuytelaars, T., and Van Gool, L.J. 1998. Monocular image measurements. Technical Report Improofs-M12T21/1/P, K.U. Leuven.
- Quan, L. and Mohr, R. 1992. Affine shape representation from motion through reference points. Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision 1:145–151.
- Reid, I.D. and North, A. 1998. 3D trajectories from a single viewpoint using shadows. In Proc. British Machine Vision Conference.
- Reid, I. and Zisserman, A. 1996. Goal-directed video metrology. In Proc. 4th European Conference on Computer Vision, LNCS 1065 R. Cipolla and B. Buxton (Eds.). Vol. 2, Springer: Cambridge, pp. 647–658.
- Robert, L. and Faugeras, O.D. 1993. Relative 3D positioning and 3D convex hull computation from a weakly calibrated stereo pair. In Proc. 4th International Conference on Computer Vision, Berlin pp. 540–544.
- Shapiro, L.S. and Brady, J.M. 1995. Rejecting outliers and estimating errors in an orthogonal regression framework. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, SERIES A, 350:407–439.
- Shufelt, J.A. 1999. Performance and analysis of vanishing point detection techniques. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 21(3):282–288.
- Springer, C.E. 1964. Geometry and Analysis of Projective Spaces. Freeman.
- Stewart, G.W. and Sun, J. 1990. Matrix Perturbation Theory. Academic Press Inc., USA.
- Sturm, P. and Maybank, S. 1999. A method for interactive 3D reconstruction of pieceware planar objects from single images. In Proc. 10th British Machine Vision Conference, Nottingham.
- Van Gool, L., Proesmans, M., and Zisserman, A. 1998. Planar homologies as a basis for grouping and recognition. Image and Vision Computing, 16:21–26.
- Viéville, T. and Lingrand, D. 1999. Using specific displacements to analyze motion without calibration. International Journal of Computer Vision, 31(1):5–30.
- Weng, J., Huang, T.S., and Ahuja, N. 1989. Motion and structure from two perspective views: Algorithms, error analysis and error estimation. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 11(5):451–476.
- Wilkinson, J.H. 1965. The Algebraic Eigenvalue Problem. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Single View Metrology
International Journal of Computer Vision
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 123-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- 3D reconstruction
- video metrology
- Industry Sectors