Prevalence of bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis in Istanbul school children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of asthma, allergic rhinitis and their related symptoms in Istanbul and to investigate the effect of socioeconomic status on the prevalence of asthma and allergic rhinitis and whether there are differences between the prevalence of childhood asthma in the same and different regions as found in previous studies and our own. The study period was the 1996–1997 school year in three primary schools in Istanbul. For proportional representation of high, middle, and low socioeconomic levels, the schools were selected from three different regions of Istanbul. A translated version of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) was used. The questionnaire was distributed to the parents of 2600 students aged 6–15 years. All of the 2276 children whose parents responded were included in the survey. The overall cumulative and current prevalences of wheezing were 13.7 and 7.2% respectively and the overall cumulative prevalence of allergic rhinitis was 17.6%. There was no statistically significant difference between asthmatics and non-asthmatics by sex, socioeconomic status and passive smoking. Family history of atopy was found to be significantly higher in asthmatics. Although there are differences in the results of studies concerning the prevalence of asthma and allergic rhinitis not only between different countries but also between different regions of the same city, by using a standardized international method, the actual values may be obtained.
- Gergen PT, Weiss KB. Epidemiology in asthma. In: Busse WW, Holgate ST (eds), Asthma and rhinitis. Taunton, MA: Blackwell Science, 1995; 15-31.
- Ozkaragöz K, Cakin F. Atopic children in Turkey. Ann Allergy 1969; 27: 13-17.
- Ones U, Sapan N, Somer A, Disçi Salman N, Güler N, Yalç in I. Prevalence of childhood asthma in Istanbul, Turkey. Allergy 1997; 52: 570-575.
- Saraçlar Y, Sekerel BE, Kalayci O, et al. Prevalence of asthma symptoms in school children in Ankara, Turkey. Respir Med 1998; 92: 203-207.
- Kalyoncu AF, Selçuk ZT, Karakoca Y, et al. Prevalence of childhood asthma and allergic diseases in Ankara, Turkey. Allergy 1994; 49: 485-488.
- Saraçlar Y, Yigit S, Adalioglu G, Tuncer A, Tunçbilek E. Prevalence of allergic disease and influencing factors in primary-school children in the Ankara Region of Turkey. J Asthma 1997; 34: 23-30.
- Selçuk ZT, Caglar T, Enünlü T, Topal T. The prevalence of allergic diseases in primary school children in Edirne, Turkey. Clin Exp Allergy 1997; 27: 262-269.
- Küçüködük S, Aydin M, Cetinkaya F, Dinç H, Gürses N, Saraçlar Y. The prevalence of asthma and other allergic diseases in a province of Turkey. Turk J Pediatr 1996; 38: 149-153.
- Dagli E, Basaran M, Hayran O, et al. Prevalence of asthma in two distinct areas around Istanbul with different levels of air pollution. Eur Respir J 1993; 6: 616S.
- Asher MI, Keil U, Anderson HR, et al. International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC): Rationale and methods. Eur Respir J 1995; 8: 483-491.
- ISAAC Coordinating Committee. Manual for the In-ternational Study of Asthma and Allergies in Child-hood (ISAAC). Bochum and Auckland: ISAAC Coordinating Committee, 1992.
- Pekkanen J, Remes ST, Husman T, et al. Prevalence of asthma symptoms in video and written questionnaires among children in four regions of Finland. Eur Respir J 1997; 10: 1787-1794.
- Vichyanond P, Jirapongsananuruk O, Visitsuntorn N, Tuchinda M. Prevalence of asthma, rhinitis and eczema in children from the Bangkok area using the ISAAC (International Study for Asthma and Allergy in Children) questionnaires. J Med Assoc Thai 1998; 81: 175-184.
- Lau YL, Karlberg J. Prevalence and risk factors of childhood asthma, rhinitis and eczema in Hong Kong. J Paediatr Child Health 1998; 34: 47-52.
- Leung R, Wong G, Lau J, et al. Prevalence of asthma and allergy in Hong Kong school children: An ISAAC study. Eur Respir J 1997; 10: 354-360.
- Wilkie AT, Ford RP, Pattemore P, Schluter PJ, Town I, Graham P. Prevalence of childhood asthma symptoms in an industrial suburb of Christchurch. N Z Med J 1995; 108: 188-190.
- Robertson CF, Dalton MF, Peat JK, et al. Asthma and other atopic diseases in Australian children. Australian arm of the International Study of Asthma and Allergy in Childhood. Med J Aust 1998; 168: 434-438.
- Goh DY, Chew FT, Quek SC, Lee BW. Prevalence and severity of asthma, rhinitis, and eczema in Singapore schoolchildren. Arch Dis Child 1996; 74: 131-135.
- Tatto Cano MI, Sanin Aguirre LH, Gonzalez V, Ruiz Velasco S, Romieu I. Prevalence of asthma, rhinitis and eczema in school children in the city of Cuernavaca, Mexico. Salud Publica Mex 1997; 39: 497-506.
- Hu FB, Persky V, Flay BR, Zelli A, Cooksey J, Richardson J. Prevalence of asthma and wheezing in public schoolchildren: Association with maternal smoking during pregnancy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1997; 79: 80-84.
- Kaur B, Anderson HR, Austin J, et al. Prevalence of asthma symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment in 12-14 year old children across Great Britain (international study of asthma and allergies in childhood, ISAAC UK). Br Med J 1998; 316: 118-124.
- Farber HJ, Wattigney W, Berenson G. Trends in asthma prevalence: The Bogalusa Heart Study. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1997; 78: 265-269.
- Ehrlich RI, Du Toit D, Jordaan E, Volmink JA, Weinberg EG, Zwarenstein M. Prevalence and reliability of asthma symptoms in primary school children in Cape Town. Int J Epidemiol 1995; 24: 1138-1145.
- Abuekteish F, Alwash R, Hassan M, Daoud AS. Prevalence of asthma and wheeze in primary school children in northern Jordan. Ann Trop Paediatr (England) 1996; 16: 227-231.
- Sennhauser FH, Kühni CE. Prevalence of respiratory symptoms in Swiss children: Is bronchial asthma really more prevalent in boys? Pediatr Pulmonol 1995; 19: 161-166.
- Sennhauser FH, Güntert BJ. Prevalence of bronchial asthma in childhood in Switzerland: Significance of symptoms and diagnosis. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1992; 122: 189-193.
- Barry DM, Burr ML, Limb ES. Prevalence of asthma among 12 year old children in New Zealand and South Wales:Acomparative survey. Thorax 1991; 46: 405-409.
- Von Mutius E, Martinez FD, Fritzsch C, Nicolai T, Roell G, Thiemann HH. Prevalence of asthma and atopy in two areas of West and East Germany. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 149: 358-364.
- Peroni DG, Piacentini GL, Zizzo MG, Boner Al. Prevalence of asthma and respiratory symptoms in childhood in an urban area of north-east Italy. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 1998; 53: 134-137.
- Inoue K, Hiyoshi K, Yamanaka E, et al. Clinical epidemiology of bronchial asthma in children report. No. III. Comparison of prevalence of asthma with 1982 and 1990 and environmental factors. Arerugi 1992; 41: 1575-1583.
- Busquets RM, Antó JM, Sunyer J, Sancho N, Vall O. Prevalence of asthma-related symptoms and bronchial responsiveness to exercise in children aged 13-14 yrs in Barcelona, Spain. Eur Respir J 1996; 9: 2094-2098.
- Quah BS, Razak AR, Hassan MH. Prevalence of asthma, rhinitis and eczema among schoolchildren in Kelantan, Malaysia. Acta Paediatr Jpn 1997; 39: 329-335.
- Belhocine M, Ait-Khaled N. Prevalence of asthma in a region of Algeria. Bull Int Union Tuberc Lung Dis 1991; 66: 91-93.
- Wittig HJ, McLaughlin ET, Leifer KL, Belloit JD. Risk factors for the development of allergic disease: Analysis of 2190 patient records. Ann Allergy 1978; 41: 84-88.
- Higgins MW, Keller JB, Metzner HL. Smoking, socioeconomic status, and chronic respiratory disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 1977; 116: 403-410.
- Clark SJ, Warner JO, Dean TP. Passive smoking amongst asthmatic children. Questionnaire or objective assessment? Clin Exp Allergy 1994; 24: 276-280.
- Prevalence of bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis in Istanbul school children
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 16, Issue 8 , pp 693-699
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Allergic rhinitis
- Industry Sectors