Deterministic Global Optimization in Nonlinear Optimal Control Problems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The accurate solution of optimal control problems is crucial in many areas of engineering and applied science. For systems which are described by a nonlinear set of differential-algebraic equations, these problems have been shown to often contain multiple local minima. Methods exist which attempt to determine the global solution of these formulations. These algorithms are stochastic in nature and can still get trapped in local minima. There is currently no deterministic method which can solve, to global optimality, the nonlinear optimal control problem. In this paper a deterministic global optimization approach based on a branch and bound framework is introduced to address the nonlinear optimal control problem to global optimality. Only mild conditions on the differentiability of the dynamic system are required. The implementa-tion of the approach is discussed and computational studies are presented for four control problems which exhibit multiple local minima.
- Adjiman, C.S., Androulakis, I.P. and Floudas, C.A. (1998a), A global optimization method, αBB, for general twice-differentiable NLPs — II. Implementation and computational results. Comp. Chem. Engng. 22: 1159-1178.
- Adjiman, C.S., Androulakis, I.P., Floudas, C.A. and Neumaier, A. (1998b), A global optimization method, αBB, for general twice-differentiable NLPs — I. Theoretical advances. Comp. Chem. Engng. 22: 1137-1158.
- Adjiman, C.S., Androulakis, I.P., Maranas, C.D. and Floudas, C.A. (1996), A global optimization method, αBB, for process design. Comput. Chem. Engng. Suppl. 20: S419-S424.
- Adjiman, C.S. and Floudas, C.A. (1996), Rigorous convex underestimators for general twicedifferentiable problems. Journal of Global Optimization 9: 23-40.
- Ali, M.M., Storey, C. and Torn, A. (1997), Application of stochastic global optimization algorithms to practical problems. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 95: 545-563.
- Androulakis, I., Maranas, C.D. and Floudas, C.A. (1995), αBB: A global optimization method for general constrained nonconvex problems. Journal of Global Optimization 7: 337-363.
- Banga, J.R., Alonso, A.A. and Singh, R.P. (1997), Stochastic dynamic optimization of batch and semicontinuous bioprocesses. Biotechnol. Prog. 13: 326-335.
- Banga, J.R., Irizarry-Rivera, R. and Seider, W.D. (1998), Stochastic optimization for optimal and model-predictive control. Comp. Chem. Engng. 22: 603-612.
- Banga, J.R. and Seider, W.D. (1996), Global optimization of chemical processes using stochastic algorithms. In Floudas, C.A. and Pardalos, P.M. (eds.), State of the Art in Global Optimization, Nonconvex Optimization and its Applications (pp. 563-583), Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Biegler, L. (1984), Solution of dynamic optimization problems by successive quadratic programming and orthogonal collocation. Comp. Chem. Engng. 8: 343-348.
- Bojkov, B. and Luus, R. (1993), Evaluation of the parameters in iterative dynamic programming. Can. J. Chem. Eng. 71: 451-459.
- Brenan, K.E., Campbell, S.L. and Petzold, L.R. (1996), Numerical Solution of Initial-Value Problems in Differential-Algebraic Equations. Classics in Applied Mathematics, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia.
- Caracotsios, M. and Stewart, W.E. (1985), Sensitivity analysis of initial value problems with mixed ODEs and algebraic equations. Comp. Chem. Engng. 9: 359-365.
- Carrasco, E.F. and Banga, J.R. (1997), Dynamic optimization of batch reactors using adaptive stochastic algorithms. I &EC Res. 36: 2252-2261.
- Carrasco, E.F. and Banga, J.R. (1998), A hybrid method for the optimal control of chemical processes. In UKACC International Conference on CONTROL 98.
- Chen, C. and Hwang, C. (1990), Optimal control computation for differential-algebraic process systems with general constraints. Chem. Eng. Comm. 97: 9-26.
- Cuthrell, J.E. and Biegler, L.T. (1987), On the optimization of differential-algebraic process systems. AIChE J. 33: 1257-1270.
- Dadebo, S.A. and Mcauley, K.B. (1995), Dynamic optimization of constrainted chemical engineering problems using dynamic programming. Comp. Chem. Engng. 19: 513-525.
- Floudas, C.A. (2000), Deterministic Global Optimization: Theory, Algorithms and Applications. Nonconvex Optimization and its Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Floudas, C.A., Pardalos, P.M., Adjiman, C.S., Esposito, W.R., Gümüs¸, Z., Harding, S., Klepeis, J., Meyer, C. and Schweiger, C. (1999), Handbook of Test Problems in Local and Global Optimization. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Gill, P.E., Murray, W. and Saunders, M.A. (1977), User 's Guide for SNOPT 5.3: A Fortran Package for Large-Scale Nonlinear Programming. Systems Optimization Laboratory, Department of Operations Research, Stanford University.
- Goh, C.J. and Teo, K.L. (1988), Control parameterization: A unified approach to optimal control problems with general constraints. Automatica 24: 3-18.
- Hager, W.W. and Pardalos, P.M. (eds.) (1998), Optimal Control: Theory, Algorithms and Applications. Applied Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Jarvis, R.B. and Pantelides, C.C. (1992), DASOLV: A Differential-Algebraic Equation Solver. Center for Process Systems Engineering, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, Version 1.2.
- Litt, F.X. and Delcommune, J. (1984), Implementation of spline approximations algorithms in numerical optimization. In Rauch H.E. (ed.), Applications of Nonlinear Programming to Optimization and Control (pp. 121-128), Pergamon Press.
- Logsdon, J.S. and Biegler, L.T. (1989), Accurate solution of differential-algebraic optimization problems. I&EC Res. 28: 1628-1639.
- Luus, R. (1990), Optimal control by dynamic programming using systematic reduction in grid size. Int. J. Control 51: 995-1013.
- Luus, R. (1993), Piecewise linear continuous optimal control by iterative dynamic programming. I&EC Res. 32: 859-865.
- Luus, R. and Bojkov, B. (1994), Global optimization of the bifunctional catalyst problem. Can. J. Chem. Eng. 72: 160-163.
- Luus, R. and Cormack, D. (1972), Multiplicity of solutions resulting from the use of variational methods in optimal control problems. Can. J. Chem. Eng. 50: 309-311.
- Luus, R., Dittrich, J. and Keil, F.J. (1992), Multiplicity of solutions in the optimization of a bifunctional catalyst blend in a tubular reactor. Can. J. Chem. Eng. 70: 780-785.
- Luus, R. and Hennessy, D. (1999), Optimization of fed-batch reactors by the Luus-Jaakola optimization procedure. I&EC Res. 38: 1948-1955.
- Luus, R. and Jaakola, T.H.I. (1973), Optimization by direct search and systemic reduction of the size of search region. AIChE J. 19: 760-766.
- Luus, R. and Rosen, O. (1991), Application of dynamic programming to final state constrained optimal control problems. I&EC Res. 30: 1525-1530.
- Maranas, C.D. and Floudas, C. (1994), Global minimum potential energy conformations of small molecules. Journal of Global Optimization 4: 135.
- Mekarapiruk, W. and Luus, R. (1997), Optimal control of inequality state constrained systems. I&EC Res. 36: 1686-1694.
- Neuman, C. and Sen, A. (1973), A suboptimal control algorithm for constrained problems using cubic splines. Automatica 9: 601-613.
- Pontryagin, L.S. (1962), Ordinary Differential Equations. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Translated from Russian by L. Kacinskas and W.B. Counts.
- Renfro, J.G., Morshedi, A.M. and Asbjornsen, O.A. (1987), Simultaneous optimization and solution of systems described by differential/algebraic equations. Comp. Chem. Engng. 11: 503-507.
- Rosen, O. and Luus, R. (1992), Global optimization approach to nonlinear optimal control. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 73: 547-562.
- Sargent, R. and Pollard, G.P. (1970), Off line computation of optimal controls for a plate distillation column. Automatica 6: 59-76.
- Sargent, R. and Sullivan, G. (1978), The development of an efficient optimal control package. In Stoer, J. (ed.), Proceedings of the 8th IFIP Conference on Optimization Techniques (pp. 158-168), Springer-Verlag.
- Schweiger, C.A. and Floudas, C.A. (1998a), MINOPT: A Modeling Language and Algorithmic Framework for Linear, Mixed-Integer, Nonlinear, Dynamic, and Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Optimization. Princeton University.
- Schweiger, C.A. and Floudas, C.A. (1998b), MINOPT: A Software package for mixed-integer nonlinear optimization. 3rd edn.
- Smith, E.M.B. and Pantelides, C.C. (1996), Global optimization of general process models. In Grossman, I.E. (ed.), Global optimization in engineering design (pp. 355-386), Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Strekalovsky, A. and Vasiliev, I. (1997), On global search for nonconvex optimal control. In Bomze, I.M. (ed.), Developments in Global Optimization (pp. 121-133), Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Tieu, D., Cluett, W.R. and Penlidis, A. (1995), A comparison of collocation methods for solving dynamic optimization problems. Comp. Chem. Engng. 19: 375-381.
- Tsang, T.H., Himmelblau, D.M. and Edgar, T.F. (1975), Optimal control via collocation and non-linear programming. Int. J. Control 21: 763-768.
- Vassiliadis, V.S., Sargent, R.W.H. and Pantelides, C.C. (1994a), Solution of a class of multistage dynamic optimization problems 1. Problems without path constraints. I&EC Res. 33: 2111-2122.
- Vassiliadis, V.S., Sargent, R.W.H. and Pantelides, C.C. (1994b), Solution of a class of multistage dynamic optimization problems 2. Problems with path constraints. I&EC Res. 33: 2123-2133.
- Villadsen, J. and Michelsen, M.L. (1978), Solution of Differential Equation Models by Polynomial Approximation. Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Vlassenbroeck, J. (1988), A chebyskev polynomial method for optimal control with state constraints. Automatica 24: 499-506.
- Wang, F. and Chiou, J. (1995), Computation of optimal control for integral and differentialalgebraic systems. In Proceedings of the 1995 American Control Conference, vol. 5 (pp. 3933-3934).
- Wang, F. and Chiou, J. (1997), Optimal control and optimal time location problems of differentialalgebraic systems by differential evolution. I&EC Res. 36: 5348-5357.
- Deterministic Global Optimization in Nonlinear Optimal Control Problems
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 17, Issue 1-4 , pp 97-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Differential-algebraic equations
- Global optimization
- Optimal control