Ambiguous Discourse in a Compositional Context. An Operational Perspective
- Tim Fernando
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The processing of sequences of (English) sentences is analyzedcompositionally through transitions that merge sentences, rather thandecomposing them. Transitions that are in a precise senseinertial are related to disjunctive and non-deterministic approaches toambiguity. Modal interpretations are investigated, inducing variousequivalences on sequences.
- Fernando, T., 1997, “Ambiguity under changing contexts,” Linguistics and Philosophy 20, 575–606.
- Fernando, T., 1999, “A modal logic for non-deterministic discourse processing,” Journal of Logic, Language and Information 8, 445–468. Corrigendum: the axiom scheme (ϕ ⊃ ψ) ≡ (ϕ > ψ ) in Section 6 (p. 465) should be weakened to (ϕ > ψ) ≡ (ϕ ≡ ψ).
- Groenendijk, J. and Stokhof, M., 1991, “Dynamic predicate logic,” Linguistics and Philosophy 14, 39–100.
- Hodges, W., 2001, “Formal features of compositionality,” Journal of Logic, Language, and Information 10, 7–28.
- Hopcroft, J.E. and Ullman, J.D., 1979, Introduction to Automata Theory, Language and Computation, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Kamp, H. and Reyle, U., 1993, From Discourse to Logic, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kempson, R., Meyer-Viol, W., and Gabbay, D., 2001, Dynamic Syntax: The Flow of Language Understanding, Oxford: Blackwell, to be published.
- Klop, J.W., 1988, “Bisimulation semantics,” Lectures given at the REXWorkshop, Noordwijkerhout, May 1988.
- Marx, M. and Venema, Y., 1997, Multi-Dimensional Modal Logic, Applied Logic Series, Vol. 4, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Park, D., 1981, “Concurrency and automata on infinite sequences,” pp. 167–183 in Proceedings 5 th GI Conference, P. Deussen, ed., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 104, Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Plotkin, G.D., 1981, “A structural approach to operational semantics,” Technical Report DAIMI FN-19, Computer Science Department, Aarhus University.
- van Benthem, J., 1996, Exploring Logical Dynamics, Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
- van Deemter, K., 1996, “Towards a logic of ambiguous expressions,” pp. 203–238 in Semantic Ambiguity and Underspecification, K. van Deemter and S. Peters, eds., CSLI Lecture Notes, Vol. 55, Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
- Visser, A. and Vermeulen, C.F.M., 1996, “Dynamic bracketing and discourse representation,” Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 37, 321–365.
- Ambiguous Discourse in a Compositional Context. An Operational Perspective
Journal of Logic, Language and Information
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 63-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Tim Fernando (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin, 2, Ireland