Ambiguous Discourse in a Compositional Context. An Operational Perspective
- Tim Fernando
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The processing of sequences of (English) sentences is analyzedcompositionally through transitions that merge sentences, rather thandecomposing them. Transitions that are in a precise senseinertial are related to disjunctive and non-deterministic approaches toambiguity. Modal interpretations are investigated, inducing variousequivalences on sequences.
- Fernando, T., 1997, “Ambiguity under changing contexts,” Linguistics and Philosophy 20, 575–606.
- Fernando, T., 1999, “A modal logic for non-deterministic discourse processing,” Journal of Logic, Language and Information 8, 445–468. Corrigendum: the axiom scheme (ϕ ⊃ ψ) ≡ (ϕ > ψ ) in Section 6 (p. 465) should be weakened to (ϕ > ψ) ≡ (ϕ ≡ ψ).
- Groenendijk, J. and Stokhof, M., 1991, “Dynamic predicate logic,” Linguistics and Philosophy 14, 39–100.
- Hodges, W., 2001, “Formal features of compositionality,” Journal of Logic, Language, and Information 10, 7–28.
- Hopcroft, J.E. and Ullman, J.D., 1979, Introduction to Automata Theory, Language and Computation, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Kamp, H. and Reyle, U., 1993, From Discourse to Logic, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kempson, R., Meyer-Viol, W., and Gabbay, D., 2001, Dynamic Syntax: The Flow of Language Understanding, Oxford: Blackwell, to be published.
- Klop, J.W., 1988, “Bisimulation semantics,” Lectures given at the REXWorkshop, Noordwijkerhout, May 1988.
- Marx, M. and Venema, Y., 1997, Multi-Dimensional Modal Logic, Applied Logic Series, Vol. 4, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Park, D., 1981, “Concurrency and automata on infinite sequences,” pp. 167–183 in Proceedings 5 th GI Conference, P. Deussen, ed., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 104, Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Plotkin, G.D., 1981, “A structural approach to operational semantics,” Technical Report DAIMI FN-19, Computer Science Department, Aarhus University.
- van Benthem, J., 1996, Exploring Logical Dynamics, Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
- van Deemter, K., 1996, “Towards a logic of ambiguous expressions,” pp. 203–238 in Semantic Ambiguity and Underspecification, K. van Deemter and S. Peters, eds., CSLI Lecture Notes, Vol. 55, Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
- Visser, A. and Vermeulen, C.F.M., 1996, “Dynamic bracketing and discourse representation,” Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 37, 321–365.
- Ambiguous Discourse in a Compositional Context. An Operational Perspective
Journal of Logic, Language and Information
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 63-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Tim Fernando (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin, 2, Ireland