Effects of a Severe Drought on Water and Nitrogen Use by Quercus ilex and Phyllyrea latifolia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A severe drought that took place in Spain and other Mediterranean countries in 1994 produced a dieback of Quercus ilex trees on south-facing conglomerates but only minor defoliations in trees on north-facing schists. The foliar Δ13C of damaged trees continued to decrease in the next two wet years probably indicating increasing water use efficiency, and their δ15N continued to increase indicating progressive ecosystem N saturation and/or N losses whereas there were no significant changes in undamaged trees. Pre-drought Δ13C values were reached in the third year after the drought, but δ15N values did not yet recover. Another co-occurring small tree, Phyllyrea latifolia, did not show any damage and gained dominance in the most affected stands.
- Aber, J.D., Nadelhoffer, K.J., Steudler, P.A., Melillo, J.M.: Nitrogen saturation in forest ecosystems.-BioScience 39: 378–386, 1989.
- Austin, R.B., Craufurd, P.Q., da Silveira Pinheiro, M.A., Acevedo, E., Ngugi, E.C.K.: Carbon isotope discrimination as a means of evaluating drought resistance in barley, rice and cowpeas.-Bull. Soc. bot. Fr. Actual. bot. 137: 21–30, 1990.
- Bonilla, D., Rodà, F.: Nitrogen cycling responses to disturbance: Trenching experiments in an evergreen oak forest.-In: Harrison, A.F., Ineson, P., Heal, O.W. (ed.): Nutrient Cycling in Terrestrial Ecosystems. Pp. 179–189. Elsevier, London 1990.
- Damesin, C., Rambal, S., Joffre, R.: Between-tree variations in leaf ΔD13C of Quercus pubescens and Quercus ilex among Mediterranean habitats with different water availability.-Oecologia 111: 26–35, 1997.
- De Lucia, E.H., Schlesinger, W.H.: Resource-use efficiency and drought tolerance in adjacent Great Basin and Sierran plants.-Ecology 71: 51–58, 1991.
- Durka, W., Schulze, E.D., Gebauer, G., Voerkellus, S.: Effects of forest decline on uptake and leaching of deposited nitrate determined from 15N and 18O measurements.-Nature 372: 765–767, 1994.
- Evans, R.D., Bloom, A.J., Sukrapanna, S.S., Ehelringer, J.R.: Nitrogen isotope composition of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. cv. T-5) grown under ammonium or nitrate nutrition.-Plant Cell Environ. 19: 1317–1323, 1996.
- Farquhar, G.D., Ehleringer, J.R., Hubick, K.T.: Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis.-Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant mol. Biol. 40: 503–537, 1989.
- Field, C., Mooney, H.A.: The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants.-In: Givnish, T.J. (ed.): On the Economy of Plant Form and Function. Pp. 25–55. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1986.
- Filella, I., Llusià, J., Piñol, J., Peñuelas, J.: Leaf gas exchange and fluorescence of Phillyrea latifolia, Pistacia lentiscus and Quercus ilex saplings in severe drought and high temperature conditions.-Environ. exp. Bot. 39: 213–220, 1998.
- Högberg, P.: 15N natural abundance in soil-plant systems.-New Phytol. 137: 179–203, 1997.
- Houghton, J.T., Jenkins, G.J., Ephramus, J.J. (ed.): Climate Change 1995. The IPCC Scientific Assesment.-Cambridge Unversity Press, Cambridge 1996.
- Montoya, R.: The effects of the severe 1994 drought on Spanish forests.-In: Sebastià, M.T., (ed.): Global Change and Temperate Ecosystems. Pp. 1–15. Centre Tecnològic i Forestal de Catalunya, Solsona 1997.
- Peñuelas, J.: Overview on current and past global changes in the Mediterranean ecosystems.-Orsis 11: 165–176, 1996.
- Peñuelas, J., Estiarte, M.: Trends in plant carbon concentration and plant demand for N throughout this century.-Oecologia 109: 69–73, 1997.
- Piñol, J., Terrades, J., Lloret, F.: Climate warming, wildfire hazard, and wildfire occurrence in coastal eastern Spain.-Climat. Change 38: 345–357, 1998.
- Rieger, M.: Offsetting effects of reduced root hydraulic conductivity and osmotic adjustement following drought.-Tree Physiol. 15: 379–385, 1995.
- Schulze, E.D., Chapin, F.S. III, Gebauer, G.: Nitrogen nutrition and isotope differences among life forms at the northern treeline of Alaska.-Oecologia 100: 406–412, 1994.
- Shearer, G., Kohl, D.H.: N2-fixation in field settings: estimations based on natural 15N abundance.-Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 13: 699–756, 1986.
- Tetriach, M.: Photosynthesis and transpiration of evergreen Mediterranean and deciduous trees in an ecotone during a growing season.-Acta oecol. 14: 341–360, 1993.
- Vitousek, P.M., Melillo, J.M.: Nitrate losses from disturbed forests: patterns and mechanisms.-Forest Sci. 25: 605–619, 1979.
- Effects of a Severe Drought on Water and Nitrogen Use by Quercus ilex and Phyllyrea latifolia
Volume 43, Issue 1 , pp 47-53
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- damaged trees
- stable isotopes
- water stress
- climate change
- water use efficiency
- nitrogen availability and use
- Industry Sectors