Programmed cell death in cell cultures
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In plants most instances of programmed cell death (PCD) occur in a number of related, or neighbouring, cells in specific tissues. However, recent research with plant cell cultures has demonstrated that PCD can be induced in single cells. The uniformity, accessibility and reduced complexity of cell cultures make them ideal research tools to investigate the regulation of PCD in plants. PCD has now been induced in cell cultures from a wide range of species including many of the so-called model species. We will discuss the establishment of cell cultures, the fractionation of single cells and isolation of protoplasts, and consider the characteristic features of PCD in cultured cells. We will review the wide range of methods to induce cell death in cell cultures ranging from abiotic stress, absence of survival signals, manipulation of signal pathway intermediates, through the induction of defence-related PCD and developmentally induced cell death.
- Altmann, T., Damm, B., Halfter, U., Willmitzer, L. and Morris, P.-C. 1992. Protoplast transformation and methods to create specific mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana. Theor. Appl. Genet. 84: 371–383.
- Ammarito, P.V. 1984. Induction, maintenance, and manipulation of development in embryogenic cell suspension cultures. In: I.K. Vasil (Ed.) Cell Culture and Somatic Cell Genetics of Plants: Laboratory Procedures and their Applications, Academic Press, Orlando, FL, pp. 139–151.
- Barres, B.A., Hart, I.K., Coles, H.S.R., Burne, J.F., Voyvodic, J.T., Richardson, W.D. and Raff, M.C. 1992. Cell death and control of cell survival in the oligodendrocyte lineage. Cell 70: 31–46.
- Danon, A. and Gallois, P. 1998. UV-C radiation induces apoptoticlike changes in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 437: 131–136.
- Dellaporta, S.L., Wood, J. and Hicks, J.B. 1983. A plant DNA minipreparation: version II. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 1: 19–21.
- Delorme, V.G.R., Mc Cabe, P.F., Kim, D.-J. and Leaver, C.J. 2000. A matrix metalloproteinase gene is expressed at the boundary of senescence and programmed cell death in cucumber. Plant Physiol. 123: 917–927.
- Desikan, R., Reynolds, A., Hancock, J.T. and Neill, S.J. 1998. Harpin and hydrogen peroxide both initiate programmed cell death but have differential effects on defence gene expression in Arabidopsis suspension cultures. Biochem. J. 330: 115–120.
- Dudits, D., Börge, L. and Györgyev, J. 1991. Molecular and cellular approaches to the analysis of plant embryo development from somatic cells in vitro. J. Cell Sci. 99: 475–484.
- Fukuda, H. 1997. Tracheary element differentiation. Plant Cell 9: 1147–1156.
- Gavrieli, Y., Sherman, Y. and Ben-Sasson, S.A. 1992. Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. J. Cell Biol. 119: 493–501.
- Green, D and Kroemer, G. 1998. The central executioners of apoptosis: caspases or mitochondria? Trends Cell Biol. 8: 267–271.
- Havel, L. and Durzan, D.J. 1996. Apoptosis during diploid parthenogenesis and early somatic embryogenesis of Norway spruce. Int. J. Plant Sci. 157: 8–16.
- Ishizaki, Y., Voyvodic, J.T., Burne, J.F. and Raff, M.C. 1993. Control of lens epithelial cell survival. J. Cell Sci. 121: 899–908.
- Koukalová, B., Kovarík, A., Fajkus, J. and Siroký , J. 1997. Chromatin fragmentation associated with apoptotic changes in tobacco cells exposed to cold stress. FEBS Lett. 414: 289–292.
- Lennon, S.V., Martin, S.J. and Cotter, T.G. 1991. Dose-dependent induction of apoptosis in human tumour cell lines by widely diverging stimuli. Cell Prolif. 24: 203–214.
- Levine, A., Pennell, R.I., Alvarez, M.E., Palmer, R. and Lamb, C. 1996. Calcium-mediated apoptosis in a plant hypersensitive disease response. Curr. Biol. 6: 427–437.
- May, M.J. and Leaver, C.J. 1993. Oxidative stimulation of glutathione synthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana suspension cultures. Plant Physiol. 103: 621–627.
- McCabe, P.F. and Pennell, R.I. 1996. Apoptosis in plant cells in vitro. In: T.G. Cotter and S.J. Martin (Eds.) Techniques in Apoptosis, Portland Press, London, pp. 301–326.
- McCabe, P.F., Levine, A., Meijer, P.-J., T apon, N.A. and Pennell, R.I. 1997a. A programmed cell death pathway activated in carrot cells cultured at low cell density. Plant J. 12: 267–280.
- McCabe, P.F., Valentine, T.A., Forsberg, S. and Pennell, R.I. 1997b. Soluble signals from cells identified at the cell wall establish a developmental pathway in carrot. Plant Cell 12: 2225–2241.
- McCann, M.C. 1997. Tracheary element formation: building up to a dead end. Trends Plant Sci. 2: 333–338.
- Mittler, R. and Lam, E. 1996. Sacrifice in the face of foes: pathogeninduced programmed cell death in plants. Trends Microbiol. 4: 10–15.
- Naton, B., Hahlbrock, K. and Schmelzer, E. 1996. Correlation of rapid cell death with metabolic changes in fungus-infected, cultured parsley cells. Plant Physiol. 112: 433–444.
- O'Brien, I.E.W., Baguley, B.C., Murray, B.G., Morris, B.A.M. and Ferguson, I.B. 1998. Early stages of the apoptotic pathway in plant cells are reversible. Plant J. 13: 803–814.
- Pennell, R.I. and Lamb, C. 1997. Programmed cell death in plants. Plant Cell 9: 1157–1168.
- Raff, M.C. 1992. Social controls on cell survival and cell death. Nature 356: 397–400.
- Schröder, R. and Knoop, B. 1995. An oligosaccaride growth factor in plant suspension cultures: a proposed structure. J. Plant Physiol. 146: 139–147.
- Schwartzman, R.A. and Cidlowski, J.A. 1993 Apoptosis: the biochemistry and molecular biology of programmed cell death. Endocrine Rev. 14: 133–151.
- Solomon, M., Belenghi, B., Delledonne, M., Menachem, E. and Levine, A. 1999. The involvement of cysteine proteases and protease inhibitor genes in the regulation of programmed cell death in plants. Plant Cell 11: 431–443.
- Vaux, D.L. and Strasser, A. 1996. The molecular biology of apoptosis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93: 2239–2244.
- Weil, M., Jacobsen, M.D., Coles, H.R.S., Davies, T.J., Gardner, R.L., Raff, K.D. and Raff, M.C. 1996. Constitutive expression of the machinery for programmed cell death. J. Cell Biol. 133: 1053–1059.
- Yano, A., Suzuki, K., Uchimiya, H. and Shinshi, H. 1998. Induction of hypersensitive cell death by a fungal protein in cultures of tobacco cells. Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact. 11: 115–123.
- Yano, A., Suzuki, K. and Shinshi, H. 1999. A signaling pathway, independent of the oxidative burst, that leads to hypersensitive cell death in cultured tobacco cells includes a serine protease. Plant J. 18: 105–109.
- Programmed cell death in cell cultures
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 359-368
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- PCD induction
- programmed cell death
- suspension cell cultures
- Industry Sectors