Low-Dose Aspirin Does Not Increase Implantation Rates in Patients Undergoing Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection: A Prospective Randomized Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose: The aim was to evaluate the effect of aspirin on pregnancy and implantation rates in an unselected group of patients undergoing intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
Methods: Two hundred and seventy-nine patients were randomized to receive 80 mg of aspirin (n = 139) or no treatment (r = 136) starting from the first day of controlled ovarian hyperstimulation.
Results: Duration of stimulation, gonadotropin consumption, peak estradiol, number of oocytes retrieved, fertilization rate, cleavage rate, and number of embryos transferred were similar in the two groups. Implantation and clinical pregnancy rates were 15.6% and 39.6% versus 15.1% and 43.4% in aspirin treated and untreated groups, respectively (P > 0.05).
Conclusions: Low-dose aspirin administration does not improve implantation and pregnancy rates in an unselected group of patients undergoing ICSI.
- Kuo HC, Hsu CC, Wang ST: Aspirin improves uterine blood flow in the peri-implantation period. J Formos Med Assoc 1997;96:253-257
- Sher G, Feinman M, Zouves C, Kuttner G, Massarani G, Salem R, Mater W, Chong P: High fecundity rates following in-vitro fertilization and embryo transfer in antiphospholipid antibody seropositive women treated with heparin and aspirin. Hum Reprod 1994;9:2278-2283
- Balasch J, Creus M, Fabregues F, Reverter JC, Carmana F, Tassies D, Font J, Vanrell, JA: Antiphospholipid antibodies and human reproductive failure. Hum Reprod 1996;11:2310-2315
- Kutteh WH, Yetman DL, Chantilis SJ, Crain J: Effect of antiphospholipid antibodies in women undergoing in-vitro fertilization: Role of heparin and aspirin. Hum Reprod 1997;12:1171-1175
- Wada I, Hsu CC, Williams G, Macnamee MC, Brindsen PR. The benefits of low-dose aspirin therapy in women with impaired uterine perfusion during assisted reproduction. Hum Reprod 1994;9:1954-1957
- Weckstein L, Jacobson A, Galen D, Hampton K, Hammel J: Low-dose aspirin for oocyte donation recipients with a thin endometrium: Prospective, randomized study. Fertil Steril 1997;68:927-930
- Rubinstein M, Marazzi A, de Fried EP: Low dose aspirin treatment improves ovarian responsiveness, uterine and ovarian blood flow velocity, implantation, and pregnancy rates in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization: A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled assay. Fertil Steril 1999;71:825-829
- Hellebaut S, Sutter PD, Dozortsev D, Onghena A, Qian C, Dhont M: Does assisted hatching improve implantation rates after in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection in all patients? A prospective randomized study. J Assist Reprod Genet 1996;13:19-22
- Steer CV, Campbell S, Tan SL: The use of transvaginal color flow imaging after in vitro fertilization identifies optimum uterine conditions before embryo transfer. Fertil Steril 1992;57:372-376
- Steer CV, Tan SL, Dillon D, Mason BA, Cambell S: Vaginal color Doppler assessment of uterine artery impedance correlates with immunohistochemical markers of endometrial receptivity required for an embryo. Fertil Steril 1995;63:101-108
- Tekay A, Martikainen H, Jouppilla P: Blood flow changes and ovarian vasculature and predictive value of transvaginal pulsed color Doppler ultrasonography in an in vitro fertilization programme. Hum Reprod 1995;10:688-693
- Aytoz A, Ubaldi F, Tournaye H. Nagy ZP, Van Steirteghem A, Devroey P: The predictive value of uterine artery blood flow measurements for uterine receptivity in an intracytoplasmic sperm injection program. Fertil Steril. 1997;68:935-937
- Low-Dose Aspirin Does Not Increase Implantation Rates in Patients Undergoing Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection: A Prospective Randomized Study
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 17, Issue 10 , pp 586-590
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- assisted reproduction
- Industry Sectors