Ionic conductivity of perovskite LaCoO3 measured by oxygen permeation technique
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oxygen permeation measurement is demonstrated, not only for a mixed oxide ionic and electronic conductor, but also as a new alternative to determine ambipolar conductivities, which can be usually reduced to be partial conductivities (either ionic or electronic). As a model system and an end member of an important oxygen permeable La1-xSrxCoO3-δ dense membrane system, LaCoO3 dense ceramic was measured with respect to the thickness, temperature and oxygen partial pressure dependencies of its oxygen permeability. Within the thickness range used (down to 0.041cm), the oxygen permeation of LaCoO3 was found to be purely controlled by bulk diffusion with activation energies between 260–300kJmol-1. Its ionic conductivity and oxygen self-diffusion coefficient as functions of oxygen partial pressure were also derived from permeability data. PO2-0.46 and PO2-0.31 relations were found in the high pressure (1.01–10-2bar) and low pressure (10-2.8–10-3.4bar) ranges, respectively.
- C. Wagner, in `Advanced Electrochemical Engineering', vol. 4 (edited by P. Delahay), Wiley, New York, (1966) p. 40.
- H. L. Tuller, in `Nonstoichiometric Oxides' (edited by O. T. Sørensen), Academic Press, New York (1981) p. 271.
- M. H. Hebb, J. Chem. Phys. 20 (1952) 185.
- Y. Teraoka, H. M. Zhang, K. Okamoto and N. Yamazoe, Mat. Res. Bull. 23 (1988) 51.
- T. Inoue, J. Kamimae, M. Ueda, K. Eguchi and H. Arai, J. Mater. Chem. 3 (1993) 751.
- D. J. Vischjager, P. J. van der Put and J. Schonmann, Solid State Ionics 27 (1988) 199.
- Ch. Ftikos, S. Carter and B. C. H. Steele, J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 12 (1993) 79.
- I. Riess, Solid State Ionics 44 (1991) 207.
- I. Riess, S. Kramer and H. L. Tuller, in `Solid State Ionics' (edited by M. Balkanski, T. Takahashi and H. L. Tuller), Elsevier Science (1992) p. 499.
- M. V. Patrakeev, I. A. Leonidov, V. L. Kozhevnikov, V. I. Tsidilkovskii, A. K. Demin and VV. Nikolaev, Solid State Ionics 66 (1993) 61.
- C. Wagner, Pro. Sol. State Chem. 10 (1975) 3.
- H. J. M. Bouwmeester, H. Kruidhof, A. J. Burggraaf and P. J. Gellings, Solid State Ionics 53/56 (1992) 460.
- C. S. Chen, `Fine Grained Zirconia-Metal Dual Phase Composites', PhD thesis, University of Twente (1994).
- Y. Teraoka, T. Nabunaga and N. Yamazoe, Chem. Lett. (1988) 503.
- T. Ishigaki, S. Yamauchi, J. Mizusaki and K. Fueki, J. Solid State Chem. 54 (1984) 100.
- O. Yamamoto, Y. Taketa, R. Kanno and M. Noda, Solid State Ionics 22 (1987) 241.
- J. Mizusaki, Y. Mima, S. Yamauchi and K. Fueki, J. Solid State Chem. 80 (1989) 102.
- M. Seppaänen, M. Kyto and P. Taskinen, J. Metall. 9 (1980) 3.
- V. G. Bhide, D. S. Rajoria, G. Rama Rao, G. V. Subbarao and C. N. R. Rao, Phys. Rev. Lett. 28 (1972) 1133.
- K. Gaur, S. C. Verma and H. B. Lal, J. Mater. Sci. 23 (1988) 1725.
- Ionic conductivity of perovskite LaCoO3 measured by oxygen permeation technique
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 27, Issue 1 , pp 71-75
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors