Inhibitory effects of bovine lactoferrin on colon carcinoma 26 lung metastasis in mice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In order to determine the effects of the multifunctional iron-binding glycoprotein, lactoferrin (LF), and related compounds on tumor growth and metastasis, bovine LF (bLF), and bLF hydrolysate and lactoferricin (bLFcin), active products generated by acid-pepsin hydrolysis were administered orally to BALB/c mice bearing subcutaneous (s.c.) implants of the highly metastatic colon carcinoma 26 (Co 26Lu). bLF and the bLF hydrolysate demonstrated significant inhibition of lung metastatic colony formation from s.c. implanted tumors without appreciable effects on tumor growth. bLFcin displayed a tendency for inhibition of lung metastasis. On the other hand, bLF did not exert marked anti-metastatic activity in athymic nude mice bearing Co 26Lu, though bLF had a tendency to inhibit the lung metastatic colony formation associated with anti-asialoGM1 antibody (Ab) treatment. AsialoGM1+ and CD8+ cells in white blood cells were increased after treatment with bLF. In vitro, the viability of Co 26Lu-F55 cells was markedly decreased when co-cultured with white blood cells from mice administrated bLF p.o., but recovered on treatment with anti-asialoGM1 Ab or anti-CD8 mAb and complement. The results suggest bLF and related compounds might find application as tools in the control of metastasis and that asialoGM1+ and CD8+ cells in the blood are important for their inhibitory effects.
- Arnold RR, Cole MF, McGhee JR. A bactericidal effect for human lactoferrin. Science 1997; 197: 263–5.
- Aisen P, Listowsky I. Iron transport and storage proteins. Ann Rev Biochem 1980; 49: 357–93.
- Shau H, Kim A, Golub H. Modulation of natural killer and lymphokine-activated killer cell cytotoxicity by lactoferrin. J Leukocyte Biol 1992; 51: 343–9.
- Horwitz DA, Bakke AC, Abo W, Nishiya K. Monocyte and NK cell cytotoxic activity in human adherent cell preparations: discriminating effects of interferon and lactoferrin. J Immunol 1984; 132: 2370–4.
- Gahr M, Speer CP, Damerau B, Sawatzki G. Influence of lactoferrin on the function of human polymorphonuclear leukocytes and monocytes. J Leukocyte Biol 1991; 49: 427–33.
- Sawatzki G, Rich IN. Lactoferrin stimulates colony stimulating factor production in vitro and in vivo. Blood Cells 1989; 371–85.
- Gentile P, Boxmeyer HE. Suppression of mouse myeclopoiesis by administration of human lactoferrin in vivo and the comparative action of human transferrin. Blood 1983; 61: 982–93.
- Sekine K, Watanabe E, Nakamura J et al. Inhibition of azoxymethaneinitiated colon tumor by bovine lactoferrin administration in F344 rats. Jpn J Cancer Res 1997; 88: 523–6.
- Sekine K, Ushida Y, Kuhara T et al. Inhibition of initiation and early stage development of aberrant crypt foci and enhanced natural killer activity in male rats administrated bovine lactoferrin concomitantly with azoxymethane. Cancer Lett 1997; 121: 211–6.
- Bezault J, Bhimani R, Wiprovnick J, Furmanski P. Human lactoferrin inhibits growth of solid tumor and development of experimental metastases in mice. Cancer Res 1994; 54: 2310–2.
- Yoo Y-C, Watanabe S, Watanabe R et al. Bovine lactoferrin and lactoferricin, a peptide derived from bovine lactoferrin, inhibit tumor metastasis in mice. Jpn J Cancer Res 1997; 88: 184–90.
- Iigo M, Tsuda H, Moriyama M. Enhanced therapeutic effects of antitumour agents against growth and metastasis of colon carcinoma 26 when given in combination with interferon and interleukin-2. Clin Exp Metastasis 1994; 12: 368–74.
- Iigo M, Nishikata K, Nakajima Y, Araki E. Effects of antitumour agents on subcutaneous implants and hepatic metastases of colon carcinoma 26 in mice. Jpn J Cancer Res 1992; 83: 397–401.
- Iigo M, Shimamura M, Sagawa K, Tsuda H. Characteristics of the inhibitory effect of mitoxantrone and pirarubicin on lung metastases of colon carcinoma 26. Jpn J Cancer Res 1995; 86: 867–72.
- Tomita M, Bellamy W, Takase M et al. Potent antibacterial peptides generated by pepsin digestion of bovine lactoferrin. J Dairy Sci 1992; 4137–42.
- Moriyama M, Harada K, Kawasaki H et al. Characterization of extrathymic T cells induced by recombinant murine interferon-β in the peritoneal cavity of nude mice. J Interferon Cytokine Res 1995; 15: 925–31.
- Glazer RI, Lloyd LS. Association of cell lethality with incorporation of 5–fluorouracil and 5–fluorouridine into nuclear RNA in human colon carcinoma cells in culture. Mol Pharmacol 1982; 21: 468–73.
- Riviere Y, Hovanessian AG. Antitumoral action of interferon and poly(A)poly(U) on Hela xenografts in the nude mouse. Ann Immunol 1984; 135: 333–43.
- Piscatelli JJ, Cohen SA, Berenson CS, Lance P. Determinants of differential liver-colonizing potential of variants of the MCA-38 murine colon cancer cell line. Clin Exp Metastasis 1995; 13: 141–50.
- Cavacini LA, Giles-Komar J, Kennel M, Quinn A. Effect of immunosuppressive therapy on cytolytic activity of immuno deficient mice: implications for xenogeneic transplantation. Cell Immunol 1992; 144: 296–310.
- Migliore-Samour D, Floch'h F, Jolle's P. Biologically active casein peptides implicated in immuno-modulation. J Dairy Res 1989; 56: 357–62.
- Shinoda I, Takase M, Fukuwatari Y et al. Effects of lactoferrin and lactoferricin on the release of interleukin 8 from human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Biosci Biotech Biochem 1996; 60: 521–3.
- Arenberg DA, Kunkel SL, Polverini PJ et al. Inhibition of interleukin-8 reduces tumorigenesis of human non-small cell lung cancer in SCID mice. J Clin Invest 1996; 97: 2792–802.
- Singh RK, Gutman M, Radinsky R et al. Expression of interleukin-8 correlates with the metastatic potential of human melanoma cells in nude mice. Cancer Res 1994; 54: 3242–7.
- Ueda T, Shimada E, Urakawa T. Serum levels of cytokines in patients with colorectal cancer: possible involvement of interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in hematogenous metastasis. J Gastroenterol 1994; 29: 423–9.
- Inhibitory effects of bovine lactoferrin on colon carcinoma 26 lung metastasis in mice
Clinical & Experimental Metastasis
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 43-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- asialoGM1+ cells
- colon carcinoma 26
- lung metastasis
- Industry Sectors