The Vanishing De Brazza's Monkey (Cercopithecus neglectus Schlegel) in Kenya
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We conducted a trail survey of De Brazza's monkey (Cercopithecus neglectus) on Mt. Elgon and the Cherangani Hills between October 1994 and February 1995. The objectives were to assess the status and distribution of the species and its habitats and to formulate recommendations on its conservation. We counted a total of 49 monkeys: 3 groups and 6 lone individuals near Kimothon River (Mt. Elgon) and 4 groups and 6 lone individuals at Kapolet Forest Reserve and its environs (Cherangani Hills). The mean group size is 6.6. Wanton habitat destruction was evident in all the forest habitats. The species now inhabits unprotected remnant strips of riverine forest. Furthermore, the Kapolet Forest Reserve offers little or no protection to De Brazza's monkeys or their habitat. Translocation of the monkeys from unprotected areas to a protected habitat is recommended as an urgent conservation measure to save the De Brazza's population in Mt. Elgon and the Cherangani areas of Kenya.
- Brennan, E. J. (1984). De Brazza's Monkeys in Kenya: Census, Distribution and Conservation, M.Sc. thesis. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.
- Brennan, E. J. (1985). De Brazza's monkey (Cercopithecus neglectus) in Kenya: Census, distribution and conservation. Am. J. Primatol. 8: 269–277.
- Brennan, E. J., and J. G. Else (1984). Can the Kenya's De Brazza's monkey survive? Swara 7(3): 12–14.
- Booth, C. (1962). Some observations on behavior of Cercopithecus monkeys. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 102: 477–487.
- Brown, L. H., and Urban, E. K. (1969). De Brazza's monkeys (Cercopithecus neglectus) in the forest of S.W. Ethiopia. East Afr. Wildlife J. 7: 174–175.
- Decker, B. S. (1985a). De Brazza's monkeys. Swara 8(6), 19.
- Decker, B. S. (1985b). Survey of De Brazza's monkey in Tororo District of eastern Uganda and Trans-Nzoia and west Pokot district of western Kenya, Unpublished report.
- Gautier-Hion, A., and Gautier, J. P. (1978). De Brazza: Une strategies originate. Z. Tierpsychol. 46: 86–104.
- Griffith, B. J. M., Scott, J. W., Carpetter, C., and Reed, T. (1989). Translocation as a species conservation tool: Status and strategy. Science 245: 477–480.
- Hill, W. C. O. (1966). Primates, Vol. 6. Catarrhini. Cercopithecoidea. Cercopithecinae, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.
- Karere, G. M. (1995). Survey of De Brazza's monkeys in Mt. Elgon and the Cherangani Hills, Western Kenya. A Report.
- Kingdon, J. (1971). East African Mammals. An Atlas of Evolution in Africa, Vol. 1, Academic Press, London.
- Leakey, L. S. B. (1969). Animals of East Africa. National Geographic Society, Washington, DC.
- Lee, P. C., Thornback, J., and Bennet, E. L. (1988). Threatened Primates of Africa. The IUCN Red Book, IUCN, Gland, Switzerland.
- Malbrant, R., and Maclatchy, A. (1949). Faune de l'equateur Africain Français, Tome II, Mammifères, Paul Lechevalier, Paris.
- Pitman, C. R. S. (1954). The Influence of Belgian Congo on distribution of Uganda's primates, and some of their characteristics. Ann. Mus. Congo Tervuren 1: 47–55.
- Scott, K. W., Jr. (1980). De Brazza, the elusive swamp monkey. Soonooz 53: 5–8.
- Tsingalia, H. N. (1988). Animals and Regeneration of an African Forest Tree, Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- Wahome, J. M. (1989). The natural History of De Brazza's monkey in Kisere Forest, Kenya,. M.Sc. thesis, University of Nairobi.
- Wahome, J. M., Rowell, R. E., and Tsingalia, H. M. (1993). The natural history of De Brazza's monkey in Kenya. Int. J. Primatol. 14(3): 445–466.
- Walker, F. M. (1991). Status of De Brazza's monkey in Kisere and Kakamega Forests, Kenya, Unpublished report.
- Wolfhiem, J. H. (1983). Primates of the World: Distribution, Abundance, and Conservation,. University of Washington Press, Seattle, pp. 409–412.
- The Vanishing De Brazza's Monkey (Cercopithecus neglectus Schlegel) in Kenya
International Journal of Primatology
Volume 18, Issue 6 , pp 995-1004
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- De Brazza's monkey
- Cercopithecus neglectus
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Primate Research, National Museums of Kenya, P.O. Box 24481, Karen, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2. Zoo Atlanta, P.O. Box 24434, Nairobi, Kenya
- 3. Kenya Wildlife Service, P.O. Box 40241, Nairobi, Kenya