Optimization of a fermentation medium using neural networks and genetic algorithms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Artificial neural networks and genetic algorithms are used to model and optimize a fermentation medium for the production of the enzyme hydantoinase by Agrobacterium radiobacter. Experimental data reported in the literature were used to build two neural network models. The concentrations of four medium components served as inputs to the neural network models, and hydantoinase or cell concentration served as a single output of each model. Genetic algorithms were used to optimize the input space of the neural network models to find the optimum settings for maximum enzyme and cell production. Using this procedure, two artificial intelligence techniques have been effectively integrated to create a powerful tool for process modeling and optimization.
- Achary A, Hariharan KA, Bandhyopadhyaya S, Ramachandran R, Jayaraman K (1997) Application of numerical modeling for the development of optimized complex medium for D-hydantoinase production from Agrobacterium radiobacter NRRL B 11291. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 55: 148–154. CrossRef
- Baishan F, Hongwen C, Xiaolan X, Ning W, Zongding H (2003) Using genetic algorithms coupling neural networks in a study of xylitol production: medium optimization. Proc. Biochem. 38: 979–985.
- Baughman DR, Liu YA (1995) Neural Networks in Bioprocessing and Chemical Engineering. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Cheema JJS, Sankpal NV, Tambe SS, Kulkarni BD (2002) Genetic programming assisted stochastic optimization strategies for optimization of glucose to gluconic acid fermentation. Biotechnol. Prog. 18: 1356–1365.
- Goldberg D (1989) Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning. Reading: Addison-Wesley.
- Holland J (1975) Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Hornik K, Stinchcombe M, White H (1989) Multilayer feedforward networks are universal approximators. Neural Networks 2: 359–366.
- Houck CR, Joines JA, Kay MG (1995) A Genetic Algorithm for Function Optimization: AMatlab Implementation. Technical Report NCSU-IE TR 95-09. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State University.
- Kennedy M, Krouse D (1999) Strategies for improving fermentation medium performance: a review. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 23: 456–475.
- Liu CH, Hwang CF, Liao CC (1999) Medium optimization for glutathione production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc. Biochem. 34: 17–23.
- Marteijn RCL, Jurrius O, Dhont J, de Gooijer CD, Tramper J, Martens DE (2003) Optimization of a feed culture medium for fed-batch culture of insect cells using a genetic algorithm. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 81: 269–278.
- Patil SV, Jayaraman VK, Kulkarni BD (2002) Optimization of media by evolutionary algorithms for production of polyols. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 102: 119–128.
- Weuster-Botz D (2000) Experimental design for fermentation media development: statistical design or global random search? J. Biosci. Bioeng. 90: 473–483.
- Optimization of a fermentation medium using neural networks and genetic algorithms
Volume 25, Issue 21 , pp 1837-1842
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- artificial neural network
- genetic algorithm
- medium optimization
- response surface methodology
- Industry Sectors