Nonlocal Hidden-Variable Theories and Quantum Mechanics: An Incompatibility Theorem
- A. J. Leggett
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is argued that among possible nonlocal hidden-variable theories a particular class (called here “crypto-nonlocal” or CN) is relatively plausible on physical grounds. CN theories have the property that (for example) the two photons emitted in an atomic cascade process are indistinguishable in their individual statistical properties from photons emitted singly, and that in the latter case the effects of nonlocality are unobservable. It is demonstrated that all CN theories are constrained by inequalities which are violated by the quantum-mechanical predictions; these inequalities bear no simple relation to Bell's inequalities, and an explicit example is constructed of a CN theory which violates the latter. It is also shown that while existing experiments cannot rule out general CN theories, they do rule out (subject to a few caveats such as the usual ones concerning the well-known “loopholes”) the subclass in which the photon polarizations are linear.
- J. S. Bell, Physics 1, 195-200 (1965).
- A. Einstein, B. Podolsky, and N. Rosen, Phys. Rev. 47, 777-780 (1935).
- G. Weihs, T. Jennewein, C. Simon, H. Weinfurter, and A. Zeilinger, Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 5039(1999).
- F. J. Belinfante, A Survey of Hidden-Variables Theories (Pergamon, Oxford, 1973).
- J. P. Jarrett, Nous 18, 569(1984).Note that in the terminology of this reference condition (4) of Sec. 2 above is the “completeness” condition and (5) is “locality;” thus the class of theories considered here is “complete but not strongly local. ”
- J. F. Clauser, M. A. Horne, A. Shimony, and R. A. Holt, Phys. Rev. Lett. 23, 880-884 (1969).
- J. F. Clauser and A. Shimony, Rep. Prog. Phys. 41, 1881-1927 (1978).
- A. Garuccio and F. Selleri, Nuovo Cimento B 36, 176-185 (1976).
- O. Costa de Beauregard, Nuovo Cimento B 51, 267-279 (1979).
- J. R. Torgerson, D. Branning, C. H. Mooken, and L. Mandel, Phys. Rev. A 51, 4400(1995).
- J. F. Clauser and M. A. Horne, Phys. Rev. D 10, 526-535 (1974).
- J. S. Bell, Rev. Mod. Phys. 38, 447(1966).
- S. Kochen and J. Specker, J. Math. Mech. 17, 59(1967).
- Nonlocal Hidden-Variable Theories and Quantum Mechanics: An Incompatibility Theorem
Foundations of Physics
Volume 33, Issue 10 , pp 1469-1493
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- quantum mechanics
- hidden-variable theories
- Industry Sectors
- A. J. Leggett (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, University of Illinois, 1110 West Green Street, Urbana, Illinois, 61801-3080