Accelerated degradation testing of gas diffusion electrodes for the chlor-alkali process
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The chlor-alkali industry consumes large amounts of energy. The gas diffusion cathode has been investigated for energy saving modifications. To commercialize the process, an electrode of high durability is required. Electrolytic operating factors causing electrode deterioration were examined. Under the condition of low oxygen concentration operation, the degradation of the electrode was significantly accelerated. The life of the electrode was also estimated by an acceleration test. The relationship between the logarithm of the life and the operating overvoltage was linear. Using this relation, the life of a possible mass production electrode was assumed to be five years or more.
- F. Hine and K. Murakami, J. Electrochem. Soc. 127 (1980) 292.
- L.J. Gestaut, T.M. Clere, A.J. Niksa and C.E. Graham, Electrochemical Society Extended Abstracts, No. 124, Ohio (1983).
- L.J. Gestaut, T.M. Clere, C.E. Graham and W.R. Bennett, Electrochemical Society Extended Abstracts, No. 393, Ohio (1983).
- The Society of Chemical Engineers of Japan, Annual report on the investigation of the scale-up of gas diffusion electrodes (1995).
- H. Aikawa, Soda and Chlorine 47 (1996) 45.
- H. Aikawa, Soda and Chlorine 47 (1996) 93.
- H. Aikawa, Soda and Chlorine 47 (1996) 192.
- H. Aikawa, A. Sakata and K. Saiki, Soda and Chlorine 48 (1997) 297.
- X. Wang and S. Koda, Denki Kagaku 65 (1997) 1002.
- X. Wang and S. Koda, Denki Kagaku 65 (1997) 1004.
- M. Sudoh, T. Kondoh, N. Kamiya, T. Ueda and K. Okajima, J. Electrochem. Soc. 147 (2000) 3739.
- S. Motoo, M. Watanabe and N. Furuya, J. Electroanal. Chem. 160 (1984) 351.
- N. Furuya, N. Aoki and S. Motoo, Denki Kagaku 56 (1988) 658.
- A. Uchimura, O. Ichinose and N. Furuya, Denki Kagaku 65 (1997) 1032.
- A. Uchimura, T. Maeda and N. Furuya, Denki Kagaku 66 (1998) 194.
- O. Ichinose, and N. Furuya, Denki Kagaku 70 (2002) 518.
- Accelerated degradation testing of gas diffusion electrodes for the chlor-alkali process
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 33, Issue 10 , pp 929-932
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- chlorine-alkali electrolysis
- electrode degradation
- gas diffusion electrode
- life estimation
- Industry Sectors