Diagnosing Autism: Analyses of Data from the Autism Diagnostic Interview
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Results from ROC curves of items from two scales, the Autism Diagnostic Interview (ADI) and Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R), operationalizing DSM-IV criteria for autism are presented for 319 autistic and 113 other subjects from 8 international autism centers. Analyses indicate that multiple items were necessary to attain adequate sensitivity and specificity if samples with varying levels of language were considered separately. Although considering only current behavior was generally sufficient when a combination cutoff and additive model was employed, predictive power was highest when history was taken into account. A single set of criteria, as operationalized by individually structured questions in the ADI/ADI-R, was effective in differentiating autism from mental handicap and language impairment in subjects with a range of chronological ages and developmental levels.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1980). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.). Washington, DC: Author
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-III-R) (3rd ed., Rev.). Washington, DC: Author
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Arthur, G. (1952). The Arthur adaptation of the Leiter International Performance Scale. Chicago: The Psychological Service Center Press.
- Baker, R. J. & Nelder, J. A. (1978/1982). In A. L. Baldwin, R. E. Cole, & C. P. Baldwin (Eds.), The GLIM system manual, release 3. Oxford, U.K.: Numerical Algorithms Group.
- Fombonne, E. (1992). Diagnostic assessment in a sample of autistic and developmentally delayed adolescents. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 22, 563–582.
- Fombonne, E. (1995). Troubles sévères du dévelopement. In Le bilan a l'adolescence (p. 262). Paris: éditions du CTNERHI.
- Kraemer, H. C. (1988). Assessment of 2 × 2 associations: Generalization of signal detection methodology. American Statistician, 42, 37–49.
- Le Couteur, A., Rutter, M., Lord, C., Rios, P. Robertson, S., Holdgrafer, M., & McLennan, J. D. (1989). Autism Diagnostic Interview: A semistructured interview for parents and caregivers of autistic persons. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 363–387.
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & Le Couteur, A. (1994). Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24, 659–685.
- Lord, C., Storoschuk, S., Rutter, M., & Pickles, A. (1993). Using the ADI-R to diagnose autism in preschool children. Infant Mental Health Journal, 14, 234–252.
- Raven, J. C. (1956). Guide to using the Coloured Progressive Matrices. London: H. K. Lewis.
- Rutter, M. (1978). Diagnosis and definition. In M. Rutter & E. Schopler (Eds.), Autism: A reappraisal of concepts and treatment (pp. 1–26). New York: Plenum Press.
- Siegel, B., Vukicevic, J., Elliott, G., & Kraemer, H. (1989). The use of signal detection theory to assess DSM-III-R criteria for autistic disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 542–548.
- Sparrow, S., Balla, D., & Cicchetti, D. (1984). Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Stutsman, R. (1931). Guide for administering the Merrill-Palmer Scale of Mental Tests. In L. M. Terman (Ed.), Mental measurement of preschool children (pp. 139–262). New York: Harcourt, Brace & World.
- Volkmar, F. R., Klin, A., Siegal, B., Szatmari, P., Lord, C., Campbell, M., Freeman, B. J., Cicchetti, D. V., & Rutter, M., Kline, W., Buitelaar, J., Hattab, Y, Fombonne, E., Fuentes, J., Werry, J., Stone, W., Kerbeshian, J., Hoshino, Y., Bregman, J., Loveland, K., Szymanski, L., & Towbin, K. (1994). Field trial for autistic disorder in DSM-IV. American Journal of Psychiatry, 151, 1361–1367.
- Wechsler, D. (1974). Manual for the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-Revised. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corp.
- Wechsler, D. (1981). Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-Revised. New York: Psychological Corp.
- World Health Organization. (1987). ICD-I0 1986 draft of chapter 5 categories F00–F99. Mental, behavioural and developmental disorders. Geneva: Author.
- Diagnosing Autism: Analyses of Data from the Autism Diagnostic Interview
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 27, Issue 5 , pp 501-517
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 60637
- 2. MRC Child Psychiatry, London
- 3. University of Pittsburgh, UK
- 4. Emory University, France
- 5. New England Medical Center, France
- 6. INSERM Centre Alfred Binet, Paris
- 7. INSERM U155-Unite de Recherche on Genetique, Epidernogique, Paris
- 8. University of Pittsburgh, USA