Sensory-Perceptual Abnormalities in Autism: A Case For More Research?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sensory-perceptual abnormalities in people with autism are discussed from two perspectives: published firsthand accounts and existing psychological research evidence. A range of abnormalities, including hyper- and hyposensitivity, sensory distortion and overload, and multichannel receptivity and processing difficulties, are described in firsthand accounts and frequently portrayed as central to the autistic experience. A number of dangers are inherent in uncritically accepting these accounts at face value and in any wider generalization to the autistic population as a whole. Evidence from clinical studies suggests that unusual sensory responses are present in a majority of autistic children, that they are manifested very early in development, and that they may be linked with other aspects of autistic behavior. In addition, experimental studies using a range of indices have found evidence of unusual responses to sensory stimuli in autistic subjects. However the clinical and experimental research to date suffers from serious methodological limitations and more systematic investigation is warranted. Key issues for future psychological research in the area are identified.
- Bemporad, J. R. (1979) Adult recollections of a formerly autistic child. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 9: pp. 179-197
- Bettison, S. (1994). “Auditory Training” as a treatment for sound sensitivity in autism: Preliminary results. Special Education Perspectives, 3(1).
- Briere, J. (1992) Methodological issues in the study of sexual abuse effects. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 60: pp. 196-203
- Carpenter, A. Autistic adulthood: A challenging journey. In: Schopler, E., Mesibov, G. B. eds. (1992) High-functioning individuals with autism. Plenum Press, New York
- Cesaroni, L. (1990). Exploring the experience of autism through first-hand accounts from high-functioning individuals with autism. Unpublished master's thesis, University of Toronto.
- Cesaroni, L., Garber, M. (1991) Exploring the experience of autism through firsthand accounts. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 21: pp. 303-314
- Condon, W. S. (1975) Multiple response to sound in dysfunctional children. Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia 5: pp. 37-56
- Courchesne, E., Akshoomoff, N. A., Townsend, J. (1990) Recent advances in autism. Current Opinion in Pediatrics 2: pp. 685-693
- Dahlgren, S.V., Gillberg, C. (1989) Symptoms in the first two years of life: A preliminary population study of infantile autism. European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences 238: pp. 169-174
- Dawson, G., Lewy, A. Arousal, attention, and the socioemotional impairments of individuals with autism. In: Dawson, G. eds. (1989) Autism: Nature, diagnosis and treatment. Guilford, New York, pp. 49-74
- Dawson, M. (1983). Able autistic people of normal or near-normal intelligence: Their management and functioning in social context. Unpublished doctoral thesis, University of Nottingham.
- DeMeyer, M. K. Motor, perceptual-motor and intellectual disabilities of autistic children. In: Wing, L. eds. (1976) Early childhood autism. Pergamon, Oxford, pp. 169-193
- Des Lauriers, A. M. (1978) The cognitive-affective dilemma in early infantile autism: The case of Clarence. Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia 8: pp. 219-230
- Frankel, F., Freeman, B., Ritvo, E., Chickamin, B., Carr, E. (1976) Effects of frequency of photic stimulation upon autistic and retarded children. American Journal of Mental Deficiency 81: pp. 32-40
- Frith, U., Baron-Cohen, S. Perception in autistic children. In: Cohen, D. J., Donnellan, A. M., Paul, R. eds. (1987) Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Wiley, New York, pp. 85-102
- Gillberg, C., Coleman, M. (1992) The biology of the autistic syndromes. Mac Keith, London
- Gillberg, C, Ehlers, S., Schaumann, H., Jakobsson, G., Dahlgren, S. V., Lindblom, R., Bagenholm, A., Tjuus, T., Blidner, E. (1990) Autism under age 3 years: A clinical study of 28 cases referred for autistic symptoms in infancy. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 31: pp. 921-934
- Grandin, T. An inside view of autism. In: Schopler, E., Mesibov, G. B. eds. (1992) High-functioning individuals with autism. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 105-126
- Grandin, T. (1992b, May). Sensory, visual thinking and communication problems. Paper presented at IAAE Congress, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Grandin, T., Scariano, M. (1986) Emergence: Labelled autistic. Arena, Novato, CA
- Happe, F. The autobiographical writings of three Asperger syndrome adults: Problems of interpretation and implications for theory. In: Frith, U. eds. (1991) Autism and Asperger syndrome. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 207-242
- Hermelin, B., O'Connor, N. (1970) Psychological experiments with autistic children. Pergamon, Oxford
- James, A., Barry, R. (1980) A review of the psychophysiology of early onset psychosis. Schizphrenia Bulletin 6: pp. 506-525
- Metz, J. R. (1967) Stimulation level preferences of autistic children. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 72: pp. 529-535
- Miedzianik, D. (1986) My autobiography. University of Nottingham, CDRU, Nottingham
- Ornitz, E. M. Autism at the interface between sensory and information processing. In: Dawson, G. eds. (1989) Autism: Nature, diagnosis and treatment. Gilford, New York, pp. 174-207
- Ornitz, E. M., Guthrie, D., Farley, A. J. (1977) The early development of autistic children. Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia 7: pp. 207-209
- Ornitz, E. M., Guthrie, D., Farley, A. J. The early symptoms of childhood autism. In: Serban, G. eds. (1978) Cognitive defects in the development of mental illness. Brunner/Mazel, New York, pp. 24-42
- Stehli, A. (1991) The sound of a miracle: A child's triumph over autism. Doubleday, New York
- Volkmar, F. R., Cohen, D. (1985) The experience of infantile autism: A first-person account by Tony W. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 15: pp. 47-54
- Volkmar, F. R., Cohen, D., Paul, R. (1986) An evaluation of DSM-III criteria for infantile autism. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 25: pp. 190-197
- White, B. B., White, M. S. (1987) Autism from the inside. Medical Hypotheses 24: pp. 223-229
- Williams, D. (1994) Somebody somewhere. Doubleday, London
- Wing, L. (1969) The handicaps of autistic children: A comparative study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 10: pp. 1-40
- Wing, L., Attwood, A. Syndromes of autism and atypical development. In: Cohen, D. J., Donnellan, A. M. eds. (1987) Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Wiley, New York, pp. 3-19
- Sensory-Perceptual Abnormalities in Autism: A Case For More Research?
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 283-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors